[Mk2] [Turbo] What BBK's are people using these days?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bluesmoke

[Mk2] [Turbo] What BBK's are people using these days?

Post by bluesmoke »

Is there a general consensus on what to use for an occasional track blaster?

Any links to bits needed like brackets etc.?

Don't fancy any expensive kits, more the few hundred quid DIY type stuff.
Race Idiot

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] What BBK's are people using these days?

Post by Race Idiot »

Oh boy, youve opened a can of worms on this one :eye:

I'll just make a post before the usual suspects come piling in saying the standard brakes are the best brakes ever and your a kfc carpark chav for even thinking about wanting to replace the standard calipers.

Buuuuut, i'd say you should probably try the standard setup with some good pads, fluid and braided lines first.

Saying that the reason I ended up going with aftermarket calipers was as succession of crappy refurbs that kept seizing. From a reccomended supplier, no ebay rubbish either.

Currently i'm running the wms front kit, had luke @pacific works flush my fluid with some ate superblue.

edit: more discussion here
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=177290
Did my first trackday at bedford a couple of weeks ago and pedal feel was excellent. Didnt experience any fade whatsoever, the pedal felt consistant throughout the day and was amazed on how the car would just take all the big braking zones in its stride and just asked for more!

Also the wms kit gives you a good reduction in unsprung mass on the front and you can still fit a 16 inch wheel over them. Although I think he did make a kit that would even work with the standard 15s.
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

Cheers, I saw that thread when searching before I posted.

I don't want to mess with the balance, so if the WMS kit manages to avoid this, I'll take a look at it.
Draven

Post by Draven »

You got a new 2 then?
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

Nope, just making plans :D

I might yet buy RedMR2's old shell if I can get some photos of it and go see it. Waiting on Peter getting back to me on that.

Stuck at the minute over starting again with a bare shell, waiting til my BMW has sold and buying a complete running car, or finding something with a knackered engine but most of the electrics and interior present.

Bit daunted by the thought of building effectively from scratch, as I haven't had to plumb Aircon and that sort of stuff in from scratch before, but there's something very appealing about starting with a blank canvas....
Keri-WMS

Post by Keri-WMS »

Is that Jay C? :D
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

Sure is! :)

Return to “Modifications”