[Mk2] [Turbo] Sensible aftermarket exhaust.

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

millentubby

[Mk2] [Turbo] Sensible aftermarket exhaust.

Post by millentubby »

Hi folks,

I'm sure I read a thread on one of the Mr2 forums a while ago mr2 exhausts and how they compared (sound, volume, power). I've searched the webternet but can't find it anywhere.

Anyway...I currently have a Motoria backbox and 3" decat on my Turbo. It's not absurdley loud, but it is too loud for me (I could hold an iphone app at the back of the car but it wouldn't be accurately calibrated).

I've looked into getting a HKS Silent Power or Fujitsubo Legalis R a while ago but none are up for sale at the moment.

Can anyone tell me how the other readily available (blueflame, japspeed etc) systems compare to the stock system?

cheers

Colin
RST

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Sensible aftermarket exhaust.

Post by RST »

I would recommend not to get a Japspeed on a gen 3 Tubby. I found it offensibly loud at almost every level (with a stock cat). The only way I can work with exhausts these days is to get something custom made, and I don't like quiet myself. A decent place should not be that expensive when looking through options for new.
Hez

Post by Hez »

I Founds the Mongoose to be ok, it wasnt too bad on short town journeys quite loud but lot quieter than a motoria, however on the motorway it drones like hell. RHDJapan sell legalis R if you have the money to get one sent in :D
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I Got a Greddy/Trust PEX exhaust from a nice person here. I honestly couldnt belive how quiet it was compared to my single exit fujitsubo.
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

The Berk system may be a good option for you? It isn't too loud and it's not quiet either. Has a lovely burble from it and at full throttle it certainly has a lovely power note to it.

My personal favourite off the shelf item exhaust wise.
millentubby

Post by millentubby »

Update- bought a pair stainless 4.5" diameter exhaust baffles and fitted them this evening. Have reduced the volume considerably both outside and inside the car. Still has a nice low note to the exhaust and isn't excessively farty.

Ideally I'd hook up an EGT sensor to monitor any adverse effect but I'm not planning on driving her hard with the baffles in- if I decide to attend a track day or hill climb I can just pull the baffles out and let her breathe!
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

The HKS Hi Power exhaust is still the nicest sounding exhaust I've heard on an MR2. The main issue with my old one was that much of it isn't stainless and was starting to corrode badly.

Any photos of your acquisition? :)
killerferret666

Post by killerferret666 »

dont suppose you could also put a DB reader on your phone and see how loud it is from the exhaust at about 300mm and 4000rpm :D
My Blog on Miami GT4 kit car build using MR2 Donor Car

http://miamigt4kitcar.blogspot.co.uk/

twitter for photo's as I'm building -
www.twitter.com/iwanabeaferret
StevieL

Post by StevieL »

Japspeeds are the worst exhausts out there! Build quality and noise is dreadful!

You can get Legalis R's on RHDJapan mate :thumleft:
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

StevieL wrote:Japspeeds are the worst exhausts out there! Build quality and noise is dreadful!

You can get Legalis R's on RHDJapan mate :thumleft:

Honestly thats your best bet, I was pretty much ready to pay the 600 quid for one until I lucked out with the Greddy PEX. Its just such a pain in the ar$e to buy stuff from japan with the shipping.

Although there is a company in the uk selling the HKS

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HKS-HI-POWER- ... 46079468e5

Return to “Modifications”