Faster MR2

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

sherwin1983

Faster MR2

Post by sherwin1983 »

Hi,

I need to make my 1.6 Mk1b fast any cheeps modifactions i can do to make her a little quicker?

All ready have
Quick shifter
NGK Spark Plugs
K&N Induction Kit
Stainless Steel Back box

Cheers

Sherwin1983
LimeyMk1

Re: Faster MR2

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Hiya Nick

Add lightness. :mrgreen:

Otherwise how many pennies have you got to throw at it? Have you done anything to the suspension & brakes?

Chris
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

If your after straight line speed then none of the above will make it any quicker really. Without big engine upgrades the only thing that's going to make it quicker is to go on a massive diet as the mk1 is pretty heavy really.

Suspension and brakes will help you get from A to B quicker.
sherwin1983

hmmm

Post by sherwin1983 »

Nothing done to breaks other than pads changed and added strut brace front and rear.

rust is lighter than metal so that means the mk1's are super quick
Lauren

Post by Lauren »

You will only get minor gains from induction and exhaust but it does pave the way for future modifications.

How much faster you'll make it depends upon how deep your pockets are.

You could fit cams and an aftermarket tune, induction and exhaust. Gains around 20bhp.

A 3SGTE will make it very quick but you'd need to be a very competent DIY'er to do it all. Or it will cost you a fair amount to get someone else to do it.

You can lose weight, but gains are still relatively minimal, though it helps everything.

Get it handling well, is the key. Uprated dampers, springs, ARB's massively help, especially a bigger rear ARB.

But in summary there is nothing cheap you can do that will make your car significantly faster.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

sherwin1983 wrote:Hi,

I need to make my 1.6 Mk1b fast any cheeps modifactions i can do to make her a little quicker?

All ready have
Quick shifter
NGK Spark Plugs
K&N Induction Kit
Stainless Steel Back box

Cheers

Sherwin1983

Won't do much, i've tried it.

I've just spent a reasonable amount rebuilding the engine, oversize pistons, high lift cams but need cam timing done again as its not running at full potential.

Quick shifter or short shifter? Short shifters are okay once you get used to them, doesn't make the car go any faster though.

NGK Spark plugs are standard.

Get a full s/s system but it won't add much and the induction kit will add noise and prob about 1hp.

Mk2 Turbo 18mm rear ARB is what i've got on mine and it really does make a difference. Its 5 times as stiff as the standard rear ARB!

But as Limey says, put it on a diet.
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

Faster.....it's much cheaper to go for subjectively faster rather than quantitively faster.

Induction and exhaust make it sound faster, less grip (at the back) makes it feel faster.

There's also bushes, springs, shocks ARBs and top mounts to tighten up the handling. Just don't go too hard or too low. Standard is really quite good.

Cams cost a lot and at affordable specs I.e. those that work with standard valve train and ecu, they won't really make much more power. They will move the powerband higher making the engine feel even more rev happy.

As already mentioned, making it actually faster cost lots, making it feel faster doesn't have to cost a thing.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”