[Mk2] [Turbo] quietest bov

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

calum4492

[Mk2] [Turbo] quietest bov

Post by calum4492 »

hi all bit of an odd but this is for my impreza
I have an hks bov but its very loud, and according to my mapper it has to be a vent to atmosphere, or that's what I picked up from his email

want a quiet one so let me know please

obv a brand name and good quality, no ebay specials
calum4492

bov

Post by calum4492 »

guys just had a reply on another forum lol and I didn't know the inside of the bov can be changed (the fin), can the spring also be changed to make it alittle bit stiffer? how do I know what version I have? where to buy fin and spring?
shinny

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] quietest bov

Post by shinny »

Just take the fin out :thumleft:

I don't see why any car has to vent to atmosphere... that makes very little sense to my mind
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

shinny wrote:Just take the fin out :thumleft:

I don't see why any car has to vent to atmosphere

They don't. :thumleft:

Nothing more than KFC car park street cred points innit.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Either buy a fitting so you can recirculate the SSQV or fit a stock BOV.

http://www.sumopower.com/product/hks-ss ... 1002-ak003
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

remove the fin and you'll notice a much nicer sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HblCEQXQ8Q4

ive never been a fan of hks bov's in terms of sound, but my hardpipe has a hks adapter (KO racing hardpipes), so i got no real choice but to stick with it.

:eye:

i found removing the fin gave a better sound.
but mine is also adjustable, i fit a longer bolt than is supplied and tightened the spring quite alot, so it flutters mostly, but on full boost, it will vent with a smidge of flutter.

if youve a bolt in the top of the unit, it is adjustable, if you dont, then theres not really a huge amount you can do in terms of adjustment.

but as suggested, if you completely want to ditch the sound, but still "have" to vent to atmos and not recirc it, fit a recirc adapter but just fit a breather filter on the end of it.
calum4492

bov

Post by calum4492 »

my question:
okay mate see you then, im sorry to be a pest, but I have a few other questions
1: I have fell out with my hks bov, can I just use the stock recirc valve? or do I need an aftermarket 1? remember I have a fmic but I could get an adaptor welded on for the stock bov

his answer:
>>> You would ideally need an aftermarket one as it needs to get rid of the air externally from the large volume of FMIC and pipework, otherwise it kicks back through the maf. This is not an issue with the std intercooler. Std bov is too soft and vents on cruise.

so from this im guessing he wants it to be a vent to atmosphere but I may be wrong

I have emailed again, asking if a recirc would be sufficient but no reply as yet

the stock sti has a top mount ic and I have a fmic I don't know if it makes a difference to what bov should be used, that's why im asking you guys the question because most of the ppl on scoobynet don't have a clue, some of them don't even know what a Subaru is!!!

Nic thankyou I didn't know you could buy them if he says a recirc is fine I will get that, is there any special gaskets you need for swapping ends?

Nothing more than KFC car park street cred points innit.

I could not agree with you more peter
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

that sounds to me like hes saying the oem bov is crap, hence to get a better one.

doesnt sound to me like you need it to vent, just you need a better unit.
long as it vents enough, and is recirced after the maf, you should have no problems.

but i dont know scoobies.
Nic

Re: bov

Post by Nic »

calum4492 wrote:Nic thankyou I didn't know you could buy them if he says a recirc is fine I will get that, is there any special gaskets you need for swapping ends?

No reason why you shouldn't recirculate the BOV, it will do no harm.

You can pick up copies of the SSQV recirculating fitting if you do a Google search. You don't need a gasket, unscrew the SSQV outer body, remove the plastic fin inside and replace with the recirc fitting, then screw the body back on. You'll also need a pipe (and jubilee clips) to recirculate the BOV back into the intake, before the turbo.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Marf

Post by Marf »

calum4492 wrote:hi all bit of an odd but this is for my impreza
I have an hks bov but its very loud, and according to my mapper it has to be a vent to atmosphere,

Car still has MAF?

If so then you've either misread the e-mail, or your mapper is misinformed.

Shouldn't run a VTA with a MAF.
calum4492

Bov

Post by calum4492 »

Okay guys thanks for info knew I'd get the correct answer here
I have ordered the hks recirc kit for mine
Andy is arguably one of the worlds best subaru mappers so it must have been me understanding it wrongly
calum4492

Bov

Post by calum4492 »

Okay guys thanks for info knew I'd get the correct answer here
I have ordered the hks recirc kit for mine
Andy is arguably one of the worlds best subaru mappers so it must have been me understanding it wrongly

Return to “Modifications”