OEM Alloy fitting

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

WhisperingWasp

OEM Alloy fitting

Post by WhisperingWasp »

Need a little help please.

Finally got round to getting my tyres mounted on my refurbed standard alloys and set about putting them on the car today.

Took my 17s off and found that the OEM alloys would not fit on the hub. The diameter on the hub is larger than the "hole" in the back of the alloy. Do you think an extra ring has been added? I took some photos but don't think I can upload them. Whatever is there it looks like it's been there for a while.

The 17s I have on are pretty generic, multi-fitment alloys so I was wondering if something has been modified to allow these to fit... After a bit of googling it would seem that the mod is made to the wheel rather than the hub so I'm confused.

The diameter on the hub is ~73mm if that helps. Hope this makes sense!

Cheers.
nimz

Re: OEM Alloy fitting

Post by nimz »

The aftermarket alloys will have had spigot rings inserted in them to make them fit the standard hub - could these just have got stuck to the hub over time?
WhisperingWasp

Post by WhisperingWasp »

Cheers nimz.

That's what I'm thinking as the only explanation. I know before the car had the 17s on it did have standard alloys so they must have fit then. I did try to pull the outer part off by hand and thought that if it was meant to be attached to the wheel and not the hub it should have come off fairly easily but perhaps I should just have a go again with a pair of pliers!
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

only 4 more posts and put up a pic of your issue
WhisperingWasp

Post by WhisperingWasp »

Cheers.

Having googled "MR2 hub" and looked at some images mine definitely has something extra attached. I'll just have to be more aggressive to get it off!

Incidentally I have some 20mm hub centric (?) spacers to fit on the rear - will I need a torque wrench to fit these or just screw them on as tightly as I can?

Thanks again.
RST

Post by RST »

They could be alloy spiggot rings -thay can stick pretty darn good to the hub when you take the wheel off. Might need some careful prying and persuasion to come off.

If you have 20mm spacers do you mean 20mm each or 10mm each side -do they bolt onto the stock hubs and have separate bolts for the wheels? If they're "hubcentric" it means the original hub flange is replicated on the outside rather than a flat face. They come in two flavours, straight through holes or more like "adapter rings" which may bolt to the hub first then the wheel bolts to them. If they're the former then you'll probably need whatever length extra long wheel studs retro-fitted in the hubs (easy to do) to fit the wheels after. If it's the latter than the spacers may bolt on to the hub, then have a sparate ring of studs for the wheels (so 2 sets of nuts). But mind the spacers most likely aftermarket seat angle so not compatable with stock wheels etc. (different angles on the wheel nuts for stock / aftermarket and they're not reliably compatable).

...In either case, there's torque figures out there for any wheels so easy to find -I always use the "bar tight" rule. A good pinch on a long bar, nothing too tight, check after 100 miles that they're still tight. Dod of grease on the thread, not on the nut seat also.
WhisperingWasp

Post by WhisperingWasp »

Thanks for taking the time to respond RST.

They are indeed hub centric based in your description, with a lip around the centre and the studs/threads attached to replace the ones on the hub that the spacers will screw to. They came off an MR2 so hopefully will fit nicely.

I also have a set of 5mm spacers that just sit as a plate between hub and wheel for the fronts. Sure I've read on here that 5mm should still give enough thread to safely attach the wheels but guess I'll judge when I'm fitting.

Right, day off tomorrow so WD40 and pliers it is then!

Cheers.

ETA 20mm each side.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”