Any drive shaft removal tips?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

DNOS808

Any drive shaft removal tips?

Post by DNOS808 »

Hi,

As part of the six speed LSD gearbox build for my Mk1 I have needed to get a different set of drive shafts to suit the MR2 Roadster LSD that I am using. Paul Woods very kindly took the time to give me some advice on the matter and apparently a set of Mk2 NA shafts are a plug and play solution.

I am trying to remove the LHS drive shaft from a rev3 Mk2 MR2. The whole hub assembly is off the car and so the outer end of the shaft free. I have been prying the hell out of the gap between the inner joint and the gearbox casing but the inner joint is totally refusing to pop out.

Does anyone have any tips regarding persuading it to come out? I have got to the stage of looking at three foot long pry bars on ebay but before I get brutal with it I wonder if there is a trick to popping them out.

Any advice would be most gratefully received.

Andrew
millentubby

Re: Any drive shaft removal tips?

Post by millentubby »

I find they need a prybar with a sturdy pipe or block at the fulcrum to help keep the direction the force is being applied to as parallel to the axle as possible.

From experience gradual steady pressure doesn't work if they resist - they'll either slide out with hardly any protest or they'll put up a fight and only a hefty grunt-factor-50 tug on the bar will pop them out.

Between hauls try rotating the shaft a little as if the gap on the c-clip on the end of the shaft is at the bottom it should help the extraction a little.

Good luck - mind your knuckles!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”