Smoother shifting

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Johnr32

Smoother shifting

Post by Johnr32 »

Hi all, recently changed my shift cable bearings but want to make my gear stick feel more solid and precise. Sat in my friends standard s2k and his gear shifts felt so short and precise.
MR2 Rich

Re: Smoother shifting

Post by MR2 Rich »

So you want your Mr2 gearbox to feel like a Honda S2000 gearbox? :?
No 2 :(
synXero

Post by synXero »

You can certainly get short shift kits. Some are good, some aren't so good but they'll all make it a snappy 1-2 or 3-4 experience at least.

I reckon the honda gear shifts are generally really good. They certainly are often praised. Try out a good short shift kit, if you don't like it - sell it! That's the best thing about buying good kit ;)
Johnr32

Post by Johnr32 »

MR2 Rich wrote:So you want your Mr2 gearbox to feel like a Honda S2000 gearbox? :?

What i meant was I drove my friends s2k and realised how poor the gear changes are on the mr2. Are there any other improvements I can do on the 2?
cosmos

Gearchange

Post by cosmos »

Did you replace spongy bushes for roller bearings or brass bushes? The distance from gear lever to gear selection via cables is a weakness, as opposed to gear lever directly into the box.
Johnr32

Post by Johnr32 »

Which short shift kits would u guys recommend?
Johnr32

Re: Gearchange

Post by Johnr32 »

cosmos wrote:Did you replace spongy bushes for roller bearings or brass bushes? The distance from gear lever to gear cables is a weakness, as opposed to gear lever directly into the box.

nope. Do you have a link or know where I can get them? I bought the shift bearing kit from Peters bits but want more of an improvement.
cosmos

Gearchang

Post by cosmos »

Peter's kit is perfect and an excellent mod, regards the S2000 that gear lever fits directly into box i'm assuming which activates direct gear selection. The MR2 gear lever changes gears via cables and pivotal linkages to a gearbox approx two meters away due to the two cars different engine/gearbox locations. Perhaps the Redline MTS90 gearbox oil might help for smoother shifting, don't think there are oil nipples in the long gear cables to lubricate……which is a shame.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Johnr32 wrote:Which short shift kits would u guys recommend?

Rev3 gear lever and drop plate.
Peter Gidden

Re: Gearchange

Post by Peter Gidden »

cosmos wrote:Did you replace spongy bushes for roller bearings or brass bushes? The distance from gear lever to gear selection via cables is a weakness, as opposed to gear lever directly into the box.

The brass bushes have been known to stiffen though partial seizure over time.

My bearings are sealed for life ball race bearings.

IMHO, the cables are not a weakness. It's slop or stiffness at either end that is the weakness. A SCBK and quick inspection/repalcement of joints at the lever end is all that's needed.

Oh, and the brass block on the gearbox linkage.
craig

Post by craig »

Pete's shift cable bearing kit makes a massive difference! That combined with a shorter rev3+ gearshift, and Redline MT90.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

I have been down this route before.

Stock rev2+ shifter, poly bushed bearings, NOT brass/solid bearing bushes (bad), uprated Clevis kit, solid shifter base bushes, quality gearbox oil, new or rotated shifter cube.

Should be good to go.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

jimGTS wrote:solid bearing bushes (bad).

Out of interest, why are bearings bad?

jimGTS wrote:solid shifter base bushes

Since there's virtually no morement with stock bushes, can't see any point in fitting them.

jimGTS wrote:uprated Clevis kit.
??
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Unless they are spherical bearings, like crw sell from the US, which I have bought and tried I might add, roller are bad because they have no give what so ever like stock.
The linkage at the gearbox end is not an in and out movement, there is up and down play in the throw. Spherical bearings help, as they provide all the movement required. But give no dampening.

The poly bushed kind give dampening like stock, but no spherical movement, but don't wear like stock which is a plus.

People assume with roller bearings a 'stiffer' shift is better, but give it a bit of time and the notchy feeling will get on your nerves. They also have no give at all.

I have personally tried all variations, a solid bush is better than a worn stock bush for sure, but not better than a polybushed one, or spherical one.
Ideal setup is a polybushed and crw spherical one, one of each, can't remember which goes where off top of my head as one linkage is more in and out than the other.

I run this setup now as I did my old car.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

jimGTS wrote:stuff

You have an impressive sensitvity!

So what's an uprated clevis kit?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:

Since there's virtually no morement with stock bushes, can't see any point in fitting them.

Virtually? Well there is 'some', so there is a benifit.

Peter Gidden - Sbits wrote:uprated Clevis kit.

http://www.mr2.com/forums/threads/63531 ... levis-kits!
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

Peter Gidden - Sbits wrote:uprated Clevis kit.

http://www.mr2.com/forums/threads/63531 ... levis-kits![/quote]

Nice solution. But where's the problem?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

This is not new?

Your on the US sites right?

Am sure the part is known as something else in uk, can't tell you what but all I know it's called a Clevis.
There are many threads on the subject, flexing rod and wear on the plastic bush in the clutch pedal, all add to the crappy ness of the shifting.

http://twosrus.com/catalog/product_info ... cts_id=948

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=234491
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

jimGTS wrote:flexing rod and wear on the plastic bush in the clutch pedal, all add to the crappy ness of the shifting.

I'm not arguing, just that i've yet to have anyone complain of a poor shift that can be blamed on the pedal end, and i've never seen a worn bush yet.

I'm glad it works for you.
Johnr32

Post by Johnr32 »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
Johnr32 wrote:Which short shift kits would u guys recommend?

Rev3 gear lever and drop plate.

sounds easy enough to do. Im assuming it drops straight in? How much do they go for?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”