MK2 spoiler compatability

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

hellreign

MK2 spoiler compatability

Post by hellreign »

Hi All

still quite new to MR2s and haven't found a good manual for myself yet.

I've got a Rev3 with the rev3 2 post spoiler. I've not taken it off yet.

I want to ask, is the foot print/bolt pattern on the Rev3 boot spoiler the same as the later Rev 5 'combat' spoiler? (the one with the adjustable blade)

thanks
synXero

Re: MK2 spoiler compatability

Post by synXero »

Yes it is.

Make sure you get the gasket/seal things for the feet of the spoiler to prevent your boot getting damp and icy.

The rev2 and rev1 spoiler uses different bolt holes so correspondingly the boot lids and spoilers are not interchangeable.
hellreign

Post by hellreign »

thanks for the info bud :thumleft:

How do people generally rate the Combat spoiler?

Is it an upgrade over the Rev3? Obviously the adjustable down force is the bonus I guess?

I want to slowly make my car into a 'grip' car for track time fun, although in all the MR2 championship vid's I've watched a lot of the cars still over the original rev3 spoiler.

Combat spoiler for looks more perhaps?
synXero

Post by synXero »

Combat spoiler entirely for looks my friend.

If you want downforce on an MR2 you need two things.

1. Huge, enormous testicles for 150mph+ in an MR2.

2. An actual downforce wing. The easiest and least ridiculous looking but also road-illegal way to do this is having a wing that is noticably wider than the body of the car. Alternatively, higher than or at similar height to the roof of the car. The most effective portion of a wing for downforce is the outermost length of it, so the wider the better. After a point that becomes unfeasible or illegal on the road.

It is also worth noting that the MR2 does not need downforce at the rear because at speed, they lose an enormous amount of frontal stability. If you haven't tried it, it can be pretty terrifying. For most applications this won't matter as you won't get that fast, but if you're thinking about downforce remember it only really begins to play a part over a certain speed.

If you were looking to enhance grip in as many ways as possible whilst staying within the realms of realism and effectiveness - think primarily tyres, and secondarily lowering the car and smoothing the undertray. Look at, for example, a Lotus Elise under body: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lotus ... 80&bih=924

Then look at an MR2's.

A long journey for you to go on!!
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

hellreign wrote:Obviously the adjustable down force is the bonus I guess?

Purely styling. No downforce.
hellreign

Post by hellreign »

Again thanks for the info, very helpful (was about to buy a rev5 spoiler but I guess i'll stick with my current one in that case ;) )

Yes thinking about it, with the engine and the downforce at the mid/rear the front must become quite light and skittish at speed.

My car is currently lowered by 30mm on apexi springs, although it has larger than stock alloys, tires are Kumho, which in past experience are reasonably sticky but of course there are much better out there.

So, to stabilise/increase DF at the front;

Canards? Any good/functional?
Front Diffuser?
Flat floor front (diffuser)/mid section
Uprated ARB's?
Coilovers?

Crazy option I guess would be to cut the bonnet open and mod for airflow through the rad and over the car, like this pic

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/ ... MG0031.jpg

again, most of these are probably only effective at speed
Torero

Post by Torero »

I definitely go with uprated ARBs, I have Whitelines but TRDs are just as good. You're looking at 22-23mm thick.

Coilovers made a massive difference for me and that is purely for road use, they come with the benefit of being able to adjust the ride height and the rebound rate independantly of each other but stick well when cornering

The bonnet shown is useful but try this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-TOY ... 51b33fdf52 will allow air to flow out of the frunk and vent to the atmosphere rapidly to aid cooling rather than swirl around inside the frunk but I'd recommend an aluminium racing radiator (and slim line twin fan shrouds) as well this is a must and will reduce oil temps by a couple of degrees.

Add some silicon hoses, a decent cold air induction system and maybe an oil cooler and I think that's a good and not too expensive start (by racing standards).

The next thing would to lighten the car etc. so plenty to be getting on with.
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
hellreign

Post by hellreign »

Thanks for the pointers Torero. I'll keep my eye out for some bargins. This is going to be a slow build.

synXero/Peter - Just as an after thought: Is the TRD spoiler a more functional/effective choice then? As it is taller and a little wider, or is it still not quite there?

thanks
Rob66

Post by Rob66 »

If you dont already have them Rev5 on OE Speed Flaps will increase the downforce at the front and provide better stability in cross winds, for little outlay.
hellreign

Post by hellreign »

never heard of those Rob (new to MR2) Got any pic links or anything?

I'll go have a google

Edit - Just Googled....they look like plastic tabs. Would the OEM Mudguards not have the same effect?

Edit Edit - or do these go before the front wheels?
synXero

Post by synXero »

In front of front wheels.

Most modern cars will have them if you have a peek underneath.

Designed to move air out the way of the tyre.
Rob66

Post by Rob66 »

hellreign wrote:never heard of those Rob (new to MR2) Got any pic links or anything?

I'll go have a google

Edit - Just Googled....they look like plastic tabs. Would the OEM Mudguards not have the same effect?

Hi Mate

Yes they go in front of the front wheels, just bolt / screw on. My friend just put some on his V6 Rev3 as the extra weight was tending to lift the front more than usual and they made a big difference - easy to fit. Not my pic, one taken from google....

ImageImage
hellreign

Post by hellreign »

Thanks for the Info chaps, will keep an eye out for some of these (or talk to Mr T down the road)

Synxero - Still interested on your views of the function of the TRD spoiler if you've got any - also eyeing up one of these at the mo ;)
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

Wider than the car, check. Same height as the roof, check. Sounds like more and more reasons to be keeping this spoiler!

wont be going 150mph though, the rest of the kit will fall off.

v1xz

Post by v1xz »

Not trying to go off topic here, would a celica GT Four spoiler fit a rev2 mr2?
i like MR2
Tubster

Post by Tubster »

Rob66 wrote:
hellreign wrote:never heard of those Rob (new to MR2) Got any pic links or anything?

I'll go have a google

Hi Mate

Yes they go in front of the front wheels, just bolt / screw on. My friend just put some on his V6 Rev3 as the extra weight was tending to lift the front more than usual and they made a big difference - easy to fit. Not my pic, one taken from google....

Image Replaced With URL For Quote

Is there a UK distributor for these somewhere?
hellreign

Post by hellreign »

bu88er lol :oops: Alright, who got them?? Was watching a set of 'speed flaps' on the ebay, but missed the bidding whilst watching a video :) Damn you's :)
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Regarding the canards, I did them custom, just from the old rubber bumper. I think it improved front stability.

Regarding rear wing, also did it custom. Massively reduced oversteering!
Rob66

Post by Rob66 »

Tubster wrote:
Rob66 wrote:

I'll go have a google

Hi Mate

Image Replaced With URL For Quote

Is there a UK distributor for these somewhere?

Hi Tubster, they are still available from Mr T, cant remember the exact price, but know it wasnt outlandish.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

does it require a bit of modding to fit those speed flaps?
obviously was oem on rev5, but i have to assume those bolt holes dont exist on any other rev, except the outer bumper bolt looking at those pics?

ive been meaning to get a set for a while

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”