Introduction and tyre opinions

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

WhisperingWasp

Introduction and tyre opinions

Post by WhisperingWasp »

Hello everyone,

Visit the site most days but first post so thought I'd kill a few birds with one stone...

First of all, hello! I'll try and keep things brief. Currently got a rev2 Turbo. Fourth MR2 following a mk1 and two NAs.

Secondly, just want to say a big thank you to James (CardHore) for refurbing a set of standard alloys for me in satin black - pics in his section. I've been promising him feedback and I'm probably doing it in the wrong section but I'm sure he'll see it. Can echo what others have said with regards to the great service he provides and regular communication/updates. Recommended, cheers James.

And on to my point... Been holding off on fitting the alloys until I decide what tyres to go for. My OCD tends to dictate same brand all-round so as you know that means Toyo or Falkens. However, I've just picked up a pair of 225/50 P Zeros that I'm going to give a go. Since I won't get a 205/50 pair of the same tyre and tyres in general in this size are readily available it opens up a lot more front tyre options. So...

What front tyres would you go for in my position? (Pretty standard car, no track days, all-weather)

TL:DR
1) Hello
2) Thanks CardHore
3) What front tyres?!

Cheers!
Marf

Re: Introduction and tyre opinions

Post by Marf »

Welcome

WhisperingWasp wrote: However, I've just picked up a pair of 225/50 P Zeros that I'm going to give a go. Since I won't get a 205/50 pair of the same tyre and tyres in general in this size are readily available it opens up a lot more front tyre options. So...

.....really??

http://www.ears.co.uk/product_info.php? ... googlebase

8)
WhisperingWasp

Post by WhisperingWasp »

Thanks for the reply.

Possibly too good for my needs?! Look great though.

Like the look of the Bridgestone Potenza or the Kumho KU31 if you have an opinion on these?
Marf

Post by Marf »

I don't understand, you wanted a pair the same as what you have ??
WhisperingWasp

Post by WhisperingWasp »

Ideally yeah, but my rears are asimmetricos and look very much a road-oriented tyre.

The ones above look great but not sure if a "track/race" tyre would suit what I use the car for.

Decisions!
WhisperingWasp

Post by WhisperingWasp »

Saying that just found the exact matching set - £168 per tyre. Blimey.
Marf

Post by Marf »

I've found that with tyres you really do get what you pay for, and the MR2 LOVES decent tyres.

Fit crap ones and you'll blunt the handling, fit good ones and you'll transform the car
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

Toyo T1-R's should do you well if you're running standard wheels, you can get them from ears.co.uk if you're lucky they'll have them in stock and you can get them for all 4 tyres, rears were around 80 per tyre I believe fronts were around the 50 mark

If not and I'm not sure you can get them in the right size but I'd probably have a look into Uniroyal Rainsport 3's, They're fairly new out so they might not make them in that size yet but they're meant to be great as well
WhisperingWasp

Post by WhisperingWasp »

Had T1Rs all-round on my last one and just fancy trying something new.

Good shout on the Uniroyals - got Rainsport 2s on my 17s at the moment and really rate them.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”