Lambda sensor positioning question - Can anyone help?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

DNOS808

Lambda sensor positioning question - Can anyone help?

Post by DNOS808 »

I have a question regarding the Lambda sensor on my 4agze converted Mk1 and I was wondering if anyone on here can help.

My Mk1 has the coil pack equiped 4AGZE from an AE92 Corolla Levin. The lambda sensor is fitted in the center section of the exhaust pipe for some strange reason.

I was wondering if it would be possible to move the Lambda sensor to the exhaust manifold as it is on the MR2 Mk1 Supercharger.

Moving the sensor to the manifold would bring it about 40cm closer to the cylinder head and so it would be a bit hotter.

Does any one who has experience of modifying exhaust systems know if this move will upset the system?

I tried to ask a bloke from the technical department at Denso UK (who manufacture the sensor) about this but his brain did not seem to be able to cope with the concept of a modified car and I could not get an answer out of him.

Any advice would be gratefully received.
PW@Woodsport

Re: Lambda sensor positioning question - Can anyone help?

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Just move it, lambda sensors are perfectly happy sitting in the manifolds, most Toyotas have them there, it will be fine.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

GZE manifolds or any JDM ones of course have the tapping for the oxy sensor.

However, I had an AE92 GZE conversion and my oxy sensor was in the exhaust. It seemed to work okay tbh. Never had any issues.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
DNOS808

Lambda sensor

Post by DNOS808 »

Great!

Thanks for the reply Paul.

I had a feeling you would be able to answer this one.

Once I have moved the sensor I am planning to get a decent exhaust made up. I am hoping to get a slightly quieter one than the Magnex that I have at the moment.
BIGBOBO

Post by BIGBOBO »

I can confirm that JDM 4AGZE engines have the sensor in the manifold.

Manifold on my 4AGZE sensor was cracked so had to use my NA manifold and move the sensor.
MartG

Post by MartG »

When installing my AE111 4AGZE into a mk1 I moved the sensor to the manifold and it runs fine :thumleft:
DNOS808

Lambda sensor

Post by DNOS808 »

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I have a manifold that I have had machined to take the lambda sensor and I will fit it when I get a moment.

Once the sensor is moved I need to find a good place to get my new exhaust made up.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”