[Mk2] [Turbo] Auto up/down mod for passenger electric window

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ELS

[Mk2] [Turbo] Auto up/down mod for passenger electric window

Post by ELS »

Hi guys,

As titled really, wondering if anyone's successfully completed an auto up/down mod for there passenger electric window switch located on the main driver unit? i.e. mimicking the auto driver electric window switch.

Any thoughts, views and links shared would be much appreciated.... :thumleft:
shinny

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Auto up/down mod for passenger electric window

Post by shinny »

Two switches makes this much tricker I'm afraid
ELS

Post by ELS »

shinny wrote:Two switches makes this much tricker I'm afraid

Do you mean it is not possible?

I currently have two driver control units and was thinking maybe its possible to combine both auto switches to one unit..... :-k

Apologies if this is like an old discussion topic people have mulled over already.

I know it sounds anal but a just get irritated having to hold the passenger window switch when the drivers auto is practically effortless. :lol:
shinny

Post by shinny »

Of course it's possible... you'll just have a little "fun" achieving it.

Here are some wiring diagrams... I don't know how accurate the actual electronics shown are though: http://shinny.co.uk/toyota/MR2_SW_1993_ ... wrwind.pdf

Don't forget that the driver's side switch has 5 positions auto-down, down, off, up and auto-up (the laast of which is disabled from the factory). I don't know if the passenger switch does, which might cause you an issue.

Personally, if I were to do this, I would look at slaving the passenger window to the driver's window. A couple of SPDT relays with a couple of diodes attached to the wiring going into the controls would allow you to press the driver's side switch and get the passenger window to move in-sync. Of course then you ask the question of how you move the driver's side without moving the passenger side... the answer to which is the passenger window disable switch.
ELS

Post by ELS »

Hmm, all sounds a little confusing as it's fairly technical for me who's not that auto electrically confident.

Thanks for the wiring diagram I will carefully dismantle my spare control unit when I have some free time and see what can be achieved.

One other option I forgot I had was fitting the smart windows feature to my alarm system. Gona hold out on this for a while as professional installation would not be cheap.

Will update at a later date. Thanks again shinny :thumleft:

Return to “Modifications”