[Mk2] [NA] De cat

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

stevomc1985mr2

[Mk2] [NA] De cat

Post by stevomc1985mr2 »

Hey all.. My exhaust on my n/a 94" mr2 is badly corroded around the cat and has just started to blow a little.. The rest of exhaust seems to be in deccent nick so I was thinking bout taking it to my local s/s exhaust dude and getting him to chop out cat and weld in straight pipe..

My main concern is that it will make it too loud??
Wouldnt mind a little more grunt but dont want it to sound like an ol tractor..

Has anyone done this mod?

Thanks in advance :eye:
HighwayStar

Re: [Mk2] [NA] De cat

Post by HighwayStar »

Hey Steve, welcome to the forum by the way.
I'm not sure the welding bit is such a good idea. I believe I'm right in saying you'll need a cat to be present for the MOT test on post '93 cars (I'm sure somebody else will be along in a bit to confirm the exact cut off point for you... it could be mid '94).
Options are to de-cat with a proper decat pipe so you can switch a cat back in come test time or simply buy a new cat and fit that to avoid the messing about. Of course if your car doesn't need the cat for it's MOT the welding idea could work OK I guess... Not sure how it would sound though but no reason to think it would be that much different to the decat pipe option really.
Give it some time and I'm sure someone with experience of it will be along.

R
synXero

Post by synXero »

Decat-ing an NA does make a sound difference. Quite a noticeable one. It is definitely louder and I am afraid to say more resonating (drone to some).
stevomc1985mr2

Post by stevomc1985mr2 »

Thanks for sharp response.. The MOT issue shouldnt be a problem as my m8 will be doing MOT..
When you say a resonating noise, does that mean a rasp noise?? I would quite like the sound to be a bit deeper if anything..

I take it there is no difference in performance on a N/A??

Cheers
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

I would edit your last post to day you will put the car back on for mot day ;)
Just to stop your friend getting in trouble ;)

Welcome by the way and do it you will love it
You can buy a decat pipe on eBay cheap enough
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

Hi Steve, I have just fitted a decat to my na. Have a single exit exhaust that before let off a tasteful deep raspy sound.
The decat has now made it really loud and quite high pitched bit mainly stupidly loud!
Don't want to put you off, at the end of the day it is only £30, if you don't like it stick it back up for sale?

Dan
stevomc1985mr2

Post by stevomc1985mr2 »

Cheers guys, the problem i have is the exhaust is corroded all past where the cat would bolt on to so will have to be cut back way past that.. So once welded in im stuck with it..
really hope it ain't to loud, my days of loud exhausts are over lol...
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

You could just buy a whole exhaust from a car being broken and replace the whole thing. Try TCB parts or the For Sale section here maybe....
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

It will be loud and you will lose low down torque, making the car less nice to drive as a daily. Don't do it.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Have to say that wasn't my experience with a 'normal' decay. More noise yes, less torque no.
stevomc1985mr2

Post by stevomc1985mr2 »

Ahh im stuck in 2 minds what to do would like a little more noise but the thought of losing torque sways me well away as i feel the car already suffers from poor torque.. Only has gutts in the high revs.. Could a de cat actually make a difference to this?/
stevomc1985mr2

Post by stevomc1985mr2 »

Got the mr2 back today after decat... I must say im well impressed not a whole lot louder just nicer which is exactly what I was looking for.. Dont know if im imagining it but it feels a little nippier to me.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Glad it turned out well. Enjoy it.

Return to “Modifications”