3sfe engine question

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

nitric4k

3sfe engine question

Post by nitric4k »

ok i have had my mr2 for a while bout 6 months now yes and i want more power but never mind will wait till i get 1 years no claims!!!

anyway.. the 3sfe engine drives sweet but does anyone else notice after 3 1/2k revs thats when it starts to kick in an really take off? or is it just my car and something wrong with lower revs and speed?
Goldy

Re: 3sfe engine question

Post by Goldy »

Mine sortof kicks in about 3krpm but its not a kick as such more it pulls from there really well....

Are you sure you dont have a flat spot? I used to have one around 2.7krpm where the car would just loose power for a moment and then fly off at full belt, I changed all ignition components and it helped it but it was still there..... it went when i changed the airfilter and reset the ECU.
ImageImage
nitric4k

Post by nitric4k »

i have changed the air filter has got a new standard one on, oil got done when i first brought the car, its still got poke but after 3 1/2 it just kicks in better, new clutch been done last month as that started slipping, so u recon i should try changing the leads?

i reset the ECU towards the ed of the month when i want to drive it nice to save petrol but it still only really kicks in after 3 1/2 it still icks up before that though.

can pull 0-60 in bout 6 ish if i thrash it like hell

average speed through gears are 1st 30 2nd 55 third upto 80 forth 100 and 5th 135

not as i do 135 regular but it takes a fair stretch of road get up to that speed, does 125 pretty easy though
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

0-60 in 6 seconds?!?! with the FE engine?????!?!?

You're having a laff arent you? You'll be lucky to get it quicker than 8.5 seconds on a good day with the wind behind you!

If you think you may have a flat spot, check the distributer cap and rotor arm first, these items normally go first, you can clean them up fairly easily, and are quite cheap to replace. Change the leads last as they are properly expensive, and dont normally fail anyway!
ImageImage
nitric4k

Post by nitric4k »

no seriously mate if ya change gear when you hit about 45 into third gear and keep the revs at 5k while changing you can do it in bout 6

my engine has been rebuilt and bigger pistons in though! suppose be 2.2lt or somethin now lol
nitric4k

Post by nitric4k »

and its extreamly thirsty!!! get bout 150 miles to a full tank! :(

think its the way i drive? constantly changng at 6k revs only time i change gear lol
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

robbrookes5 wrote:no seriously mate if ya change gear when you hit about 45 into third gear and keep the revs at 5k while changing you can do it in bout 6

Changing up SOONER makes you get to 60mph faster? :shock:

You should only need one gear change anyway :-k Two is going to slow you down even more #-o
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

robbrookes5 wrote:no seriously mate if ya change gear when you hit about 45 into third gear and keep the revs at 5k while changing you can do it in bout 6

my engine has been rebuilt and bigger pistons in though! suppose be 2.2lt or somethin now lol

You do need 3 changes with the fe engine as it only revs to 6k .... 6.5 on a good day...

Have you actually had it timed? I've done multipul runs in mine with the gtech, and the best i've had is 8.66 seconds.... its generally around the 9 second mark which is what you would expect for the 3sfe engine....

Are you sure you've got the right engine? it isnt the 5sfe or the beams engine is it .... what does it say on the cam belt cover??

6 seconds is seriously quicker than standard, and is the sort of time you would expect for a 200bhp mr2??
ImageImage
nitric4k

Post by nitric4k »

will get me mate sit in with me this weekend and time it, but its faster than 8-9 seconds mate, its deffo the 3sfe engine, its the poo one with the red wires comin out the top. it got changed think it was a replica celica when the engine popped at round 100k with one owner, then another owner had it rebult bigger pistons n stuff 20k ago. its faster than alot of cars on the road but cant keep up with that calibra in a straight line and thats 156bhp

but i sit bout 1 meter away of his ar$$ for a bit then 60 above it blows me
away
G-LimitedGav

Post by G-LimitedGav »

A FE engine has 119 hp standtard i think, and that aint really that much considering the wieght of the mr2, with a hell of a bundle of mods id b surprised if it would beat 0-60 in under 7 seconds. plus i duno wat calibra has 156 hp, the 16v has 147. 8v has a shitty preformance, duno wat the hp is tho.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

G-LimitedGav wrote:A FE engine has 119 hp standtard i think, and that aint really that much considering the wieght of the mr2, with a hell of a bundle of mods id b surprised if it would beat 0-60 in under 7 seconds. plus i duno wat calibra has 156 hp, the 16v has 147. 8v has a shitty preformance, duno wat the hp is tho.

the XE engined Astra Mk2 16v is 156bhp, he's probably thinking about that.

anyways an FE engined MK2 is never, ever going to hit 60mph in 6 seconds, bob hope and no hope.. not that i ever understand why 0-60 is considered that important anyway.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

stock FE 0-60 9.3 119bhp
GE early revision does it in 7.2 and thats 158bhp

as mentioned, for you to get in the 6s, youd need a tubby engine to be fair.
or 200bhp on an FE engine (nigh on impossible).

sorry mate, but having your mate time you with his trusty stopwatch doesnt prove anything.
it may feel fast to you, but 0-60 in the FE is not possible to be in the 6s. even the GE engine struggle to hit the 6s! and thats modded ones.
#you any idea what sort of hp its pulling?
if it cant keep with a 150bhp calibra, your certainly not gona be in the 6s.

if its speed and power you want, drop a beams or turbo engine in, then time it! :mrgreen:
Goto10

Post by Goto10 »

jimGTS wrote:
if its speed and power you want, drop a beams or turbo engine in, then time it! :mrgreen:

Using the same timing system it'll be under 1.5 seconds to 60. If it's a tuned tubby it might even get to 60 before he's started counting.

(Is the guy who times your runs always late for work perchance?)

Return to “Mechanical”