[Mk2] [Generic] best suspension set up for the road (scottish roads, similar to albania)

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

glen n

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] best suspension set up for the road (scottish roads, similar to albania)

Post by glen n »

Got the tein springs on yesterday and they are a lot firmer than the eibachs,so much so I'm glad it's not my daily driver now and more of a weekend toy.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] best suspension set up for the road (scottish roads, similar to albania)

Post by Ryan S »

glen n wrote:Got the tein springs on yesterday and they are a lot firmer than the eibachs,so much so I'm glad it's not my daily driver now and more of a weekend toy.

jesus, that much of a difference?? i had teins on my RX8, they felt superb too!! that was with 19" wheels :shock: :shock:
Nic

Post by Nic »

Mine came with Tein S Tech springs fitted, they are very stiffly sprung and drop the car so much that you end up bottoming out on the bump stops which makes for a very crashy ride over poor road surfaces. They were replaced with Eibach springs which raised the ride height by around 20mm and made for a far smoother ride.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

annoyingly, the ride is great when on smooth roads, although i suppose any setup would be good on good roads :(
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Not sure if i have bad springs or what but they look OE to me on my Rev 3 and its a hella crashy ride.

Its like have my springs been cut? i cant believe any standard springs are this redicolous on a normal car and if it was lowered any more id be:/

Hit small bump = brace youself!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

nickg07 wrote:Not sure if i have bad springs or what but they look OE to me on my Rev 3 and its a hella crashy ride.

Its like have my springs been cut? i cant believe any standard springs are this redicolous on a normal car and if it was lowered any more id be:/

my rev2 tubby was the same, it was awful. oddy, my black rev3 non turbo was a dream to drive with stock springs/shocks!!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

sheppy wrote:
nickg07 wrote:Not sure if i have bad springs or what but they look OE to me on my Rev 3 and its a hella crashy ride.

my rev2 tubby was the same, it was awful. oddy, my black rev3 non turbo was a dream to drive with stock springs/shocks!!

i'm sure it had better ARB bushes though. whatever it was it was totally different to the tubby. still a bit crashy on bumps, but on smooth roads it felt tight and modern.
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Strange.

i mean i am fully polybushed from steering rack to ARB to all arms and gear linkages.

I wonder if its just the rear springs sagging under the extra weight and the front end is too light combined with harsher springs and struts makes it skip over bumps when the front hits them rather than riding them?

i dont know, i'm probably talking babble, but it has to be something. As im quite light too and i dont hardly carry any passengers perhaps there just isnt enough weight over the corners enough?!

Dont get me wrong, on a nice flat road it feels great its just when there is a camber or bobbly bits it doesnt feel great. And i have new spring cups, top mounts ballj's etc
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

what size wheels/tyres are you using?? my rev2 on 18"s with 35 profile (may have been a 40 profile) was just awful.
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

i have stock wheels and tyres from a Rev3!

Bump steer yar!!

i did just buy a used set of 'billies' and springs from the bay of E but they are getting shipped back due to being not 3 years old as described. so i am after a new non bank busting solution.

So i read on another build thread the rears can sag on the turbo, im going to measure from floor to rear and front arches and see if there is any different front to back in terms of how the car is laid out.
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Front drivers 60.5cm. Front passenger 62cm. Rear drivers 64 rear pass 61.

So they are a bit crazy. Floor not 100% flat or level but still.
synXero

Post by synXero »

Makes me want to do that measurement now...

Mine is on NA suspension with Apex springs, and feels great over any surface. It can be jarring on a heavily pitted road if you go at it fast but the roads that are bad enough are so rare that it doesn't matter. Speed bumps etc I have to slow down for but I suspect every MR2 owner does.

The problem with the Apex springs is they can feel a bit wallowy under hard cambered turning and the setup rebounds hard over hills in the road. The car feels very light at times going quickly over a rise. Not sure if this is all MR2s or just all stock NA shocks or what.

If I was to change, I'd go for BC Racing BR coils or for Meister Zeta R coils.

My car is non polybushed, and runs 17" alloys with 215/40s at the front and 245/40s at the back.
Last edited by synXero on Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
synXero

Post by synXero »

Double post
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

had a passenger in the car this morning so no music. Oh man the front end sounded baad lots of knocking and bobbling really. im thinking my drop links are knackered.

Can they have an effect on handling and help contribute towards this bad feel and noise?
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

I'm in the market for new suspension. Ideally would like a set of yellow billies, e meister R seem tempting but not wanting to go coilovers really.

The ride I feel on the mr2 is not composed over bumps or hard cornering, and reckon it's down to the design/weight distribution of the car.

Obviously new shocks and polybushing will make a huge difference but your still limited to how much you can improve things.
hmltnangel

Post by hmltnangel »

Well, Ive had two different setups on this car now so I'll throw my tuppence worth in :)

Old setup, Black Billies, Gmax Springs, Standard Bushes etc
verdict - softish over the bumps and reasonably comfy

New - yellow Billies, Tein S Techs, TRD Top Mounts, Fully Polybushed, New Track Rod ends,droplinks and balljoints all round
verdict - fantastic cornering but harsh over anything but the smoothest roads. So much so that it gets tedious occassionally. Still - I love it. This is also with 40 profile 17s/TRD ARBs/Tein Strut Braces.

My old purple Tubby though had the best setup ever on it a fe wyears back.

New OEM bushes all round, Poly'd ARB bushes. Black Billies and Eibach Springs. Cusco braces, 17s with Eagle F1 Fronts and Dunlop Sport maxx Rears. Unbelieveabl ehandling - and it was a Rev 1. I could hit roundabouts about 10/15mph faster than I can in the one I have now.
rrx

Post by rrx »

Finally got round to fitting my BC coilovers to replace the horrible lowered and cut springs and original shocks from on the car, ride s massively improved and thats without even setting everything up, still got to do camber and tracking + adjust dampers but not being pretty much on the bottom of the shocks helps. fitting is a doddle and just make sure you buy a set of new rear arb links and saves alot of time, running the softer springs aswell which make it alot more sensible for day to day driving but more than firm enough when needed

Return to “Modifications”