Still got rear end wobble

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperRedMR2

Still got rear end wobble

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Picked up car from MOT station tonight. Feels good.

Before I took it off the road, I had a bad vibration from the back, when I put my foot down, it felt very bad indeed. It's still there.

I've since changed the gearbox, so could cancel that out as Pete said it was fine when he ran it before.

I changed the engine mounts before hand as well.

What else could it be? Driveshaft? Suspension Leg? Or i'm praying its terrible wheel balance??
MartG

Re: Still got rear end wobble

Post by MartG »

Try swapping the wheels to the front - if they are out of balance you'll then feel it through the steering.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I will try that, but it may also be a buckled wheel :-k

Suspension would have featured on the MOT so not sure its that
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Stil with check all suspension. And maybe wheel alignment if it's toeing badly
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

And check cv joints on driveshafts
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

It's not toeing Pete, just vibrations under acceleration.

If its slow gentle acceleration you don't feel it as badly, but it needs figuring out.

Will check ball joints at weekend. Not using it again for work til next Wednesday.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I think it's ball joints
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Alex if its the ball joints your laughing, they are easy to replace and only £30 for the pair.

Saying that it should NOT have passed the MOT with dodgy ball joins

Chris
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Yeah I know Chris that is concerning. I've got to collect my keys from Kwik fit today so ill question what they actually tested.

It's bad going over bumps. Can't think of anything else it could be - would ball joints vibrate when you accelerate?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Ball joints won't ever 'vibrate' as such.

If something is vibrating when accelerating it's likely to be something that's linked to the drivetrain.

Driveshafts perhaps, though the tripod joints don't generally ever fail as such. Something loose perhaps on the suspension?

If the balljoints are shot then it will feel a lot less precise and will produce wayward handling, but they don't really cause a vibration.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

The handling isn't wayward though. I'll swap front to back wheels wise. It could be a out of round wheel?
RazzyRascal

Post by RazzyRascal »

Boys at the mot centre didn't take it for a drift did they?
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

you know what...on the two occasions i drove it to the mot station it wasnt like that, but now strangely it is...
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

The vibration under heavy acceleration was occurring before i took the car off the road, 3 weeks in fact. But nothing has been done to the suspension for the last 3 years prior to this taking place.

It must be down to items such as ball joints and such getting worn out. The ball joints were replaced when the koni suspension was put on 5 years ago.

If it was a spring or shock what would be the symptoms of that?
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

Have you checked the inner CV bolts?

If you don't go around these (CV to gearbox flange bolts) a few times with the spanners when tightening they can quickly work loose. A vibration from the rear that is throttle dependant certainly sounds CV or wheel related to me.

Oh one other thing to check, wheel and brake disk mounting. Are the centre bores of the wheels and disks tight on the hub? I've had bad vibes before when muck buildup on the disk prevents it from sitting correctly on the hub. A quick clean up with a grinder fixed that one.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I'm going to have a thorough look tonight as i'm not using the car until Wednesday.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

aw11rally wrote:
Oh one other thing to check, wheel and brake disk mounting. Are the centre bores of the wheels and disks tight on the hub? I've had bad vibes before when muck buildup on the disk prevents it from sitting correctly on the hub. A quick clean up with a grinder fixed that one.

There isn't an issue here, the wheels have been on and off about 20times over the last 10months and opposed no issues when removing.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:
aw11rally wrote:

There isn't an issue here, the wheels have been on and off about 20times over the last 10months and opposed no issues when removing.

Yes but the point that Rally is making relates to wheels being out of alignment when they're on Alex
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Could the alignment suddenly go out 3 weeks before I stopped using it last year?

I tightened the driveshaft nuts and drop link nuts. Put spare wheel on and its still there. I'll swap front to back tomorrow and go for a spin.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

If it happened suddenly then it seems like something broke

Or have you lost a big balance weight off a back wheel :-k

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”