[Mk2] [NA] Headgasket has gone and I have limited funds so DIY! Help needed

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dexter

[Mk2] [NA] Headgasket has gone and I have limited funds so DIY! Help needed

Post by dexter »

So 21st Birthday arrives and TRAX this Sunday my Head gasket goes! ](*,)

Not going to rush the repair and was thinking of dropping in a 3SGTE but despite for lust for a turbo I think that because the engines been so reliable i'd give replacing the gasket a go myself (it's a 1995 REV3 3SGE by the way).

I've never changed a head gasket before but have enough experience to be willing to do it myself with the help of my friend. Just looking for any heads up or "dos and don'ts" to help me along the way.

Would really appreciate any guidance possible :)

(Also would it be easier to do with the engine out as I have an engine hoist handy?)

Thank you
bobhatton

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Headgasket has gone and I have limited funds so DIY! Help needed

Post by bobhatton »

Why do you think the head gasket has gone?
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

Never done one on a '2 but I cant imagine its easier to take the engine out as it has to go out the bottom.

I would not hesitate to DIY the head gasket change myself but the cam belt is a pain in the A and I would want to be 100% sure it needed doing before I started. I would set the tappets whiel I was doing it aswell (we I would need to as I would re seat and clean up the valves if I had it appart, adding valve stem seals aswell).
ashley

Post by ashley »

You can do it with the engine in the car still- not too bad a job, the tricky bit is dropping the head back on the block in the right place again (I made up some long guide studs that temporarily went in the head bolt holes in the block).

That said, when / if I do it again it'll be with the engine out, especially on an NA- just makes it easier especially once you take into account the dicking around with clearance when sorting out the cam belt and timing.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

ashley wrote:the tricky bit is dropping the head back on the block in the right place again.

But the real PITA will be removing a) the N/A manifold heatshields and b) removing the manifold to head nuts without snapping the studs.

Have plenty of heat and patience available. And then two more large helpings!

ashley wrote:dicking around with clearance when sorting out the cam belt and timing.

Tell me about it Ash!
ashley

Post by ashley »

:wink:

I was lucky when I had the head off the NA- the exhaust mani studs were all fresh- I could see that being a real biatch on seasoned studs, no thanks =; :lol: :lol:

Sounds like the answer for the OP is drop the engine first :eye:
dexter

Post by dexter »

Had all signs of HG failure as there was overheating, replaced thermostat, filler pressure cap, checked rad, fans all working and test instantly turned the fluid green so conclusively a HG problem. I dropped a 3SGE engine out recently in a car i broke for spares so have knowledge on how to do this (and do it safely!). I have been told that the i need to re-shimmy the head (which i don't understand if i'm honest).

UPDATE: I used a new HG sealant before i went to silverstone and to my disbelief the Overheating has stopped, no more water dripping or rich smells
:thumleft:

Thanks for advice, know what route to take if i do work on water pump, cam belt etc, and while its out i'll dress the engine a bit, started at easily accessible areas :D

Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

dexter wrote:I used a new HG sealant

Keep a taxi number handy. You'll need it.
mrdb

Post by mrdb »

dexter wrote:UPDATE: I used a new HG sealant

Causes more damage than it fixes...

Return to “Mechanical”