Wheel fitment and studs etc....

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Nik_L

Wheel fitment and studs etc....

Post by Nik_L »

So ive found a set of wheels i quite like. Nothing fancy, OZ Hydra 17x8 ET40 with 205 45 tyres.

Now what im not sure about is the wheel nuts. At the moment i have tapered nuts, not the standard MR2 long nuts with the washers.

Am i right in thinking most aftermarket wheels require tapered nuts or would i need slimline nuts??

They were fitted to an EP3 if that's any help.
Last edited by Nik_L on Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan6926

Re: Wheel fitment and studs etc....

Post by Ryan6926 »

Heya mate what you'd most likely need depends on the stud pattern of the wheels.

For example if you've got a wheel with 5 holes for the studs you'll likely be able to use normal 60 degree tapered head bolts (not like the Flat Seated with washers that Toyota use as standard) as the hole will usually be bigger so you'll have more access to the outside of the nuts (I'd usually go for 17mm heads)

If you've got multifit alloys then you'll likely need the slimline bolts with the internal thread if that makes sense?

Again you'll need 60 degree tapered head nuts :)

Either way in case you've not heard do NOT buy D1 spec nuts they're f**king awful and shear at a moments notice
Hope this helps

Ryan
Nic

Post by Nic »

The majority of aftermarket wheels are designed to use tapered wheel nut, flat headed nuts are mainly used on OEM wheels.

Check the OZ website it'll probably have the info you need on there.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Nik_L

Post by Nik_L »

Thanks guys, very helpful and what you have both said make's sense.

Also, will the offset and widths be ok with no rubbing issue's on the front etc??
Nic

Post by Nic »

Nik_L wrote:Also, will the offset and widths be ok with no rubbing issue's on the front etc??

http://mr2.gordaen.com/wt_calc.php
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”