My MR2 Caught Fire??

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Sweete

My MR2 Caught Fire??

Post by Sweete »

Well Saturday started off well as my MR2 flew through it's MOT so went out for a drive lapping up the sunshine with the T-bars off then when I got home parked up engine off, smoke started pouring out of the engine bay. First thought was my over heating problem had come back but quickly popped the engine lid and there were flames coming from my alternator quickly got the garden hose on it before did any more damage.

Once the fire was out I took a closer look to find it smoking again and then the fire relit so at this got the wife to hose the fire out while I disconnected the battery. Once disconnected it didn't relight.

So my confusion is... nothing electrically has been changed recently all earths seem to be in tact and as they should be so is it possible the Alernator has seized? If so would it catch light as soon as power was put to it or could it be a faulty battery putting too much voltage though?

Sorry for the lengthy topic and the car is a 1992 UK N/A.

Thanks Si
rs007

Re: My MR2 Caught Fire??

Post by rs007 »

Cam cover gaskets weep, and the oil drips onto the alternator - obviously I can't say with finality because I haven't seen the car, but if that ignites, you would get exactly what you say. Could relight after initial dousing if hot enough, especially if as you suspect there is some electrical issue going on in there. Not good!
Sweete

Post by Sweete »

Thanks for the reply mate, it's something worth checking but all does seem dry in that area and forgot to put on the original post left the car all day to cool down went and connected the battery again and straight away there was a strange noise and burning smell coming from the alternator.

Just trying to see what else it could be before i fit a new alternator and fry that one as well!!
rs007

Post by rs007 »

Sweete wrote:Thanks for the reply mate, it's something worth checking but all does seem dry in that area and forgot to put on the original post left the car all day to cool down went and connected the battery again and straight away there was a strange noise and burning smell coming from the alternator.

Just trying to see what else it could be before i fit a new alternator and fry that one as well!!

Ah in that case it def sounds like something has broken down in the alternator, possibly rectifier or windings - it happens unfortunately.

You can check the volts at the 3 pins on the multi-plug, with ignition on it should be reading battery voltage on all 3, and of course the big bolted connection which should also be reading batter voltage. If they are doing this, then that end of things is as should be...
Sweete

Post by Sweete »

Thanks for that never thought of checking it that way. At least then can rule out Battery or surge fault.
Cheers :thumleft:
rs007

Post by rs007 »

Sweete wrote:Thanks for that never thought of checking it that way. At least then can rule out Battery or surge fault.

Check it out and let us know!

My gut says the problem is going to be internal to your alternator, some sort of breakdown inside, but as said, can't say for def without seeing the car :)
gtech

Post by gtech »

Sweete wrote:Thanks for that never thought of checking it that way. At least then can rule out Battery or surge fault.

Surprised you didn't phone, we always there if you need a hand with anything.

Graeme
Berk Tech IC, Berk Tech Downpipe, Berk Tech Exhaust, ARC Induction System, DevilsOwn Water/Meth Injection (Pre & Post turbo). TRD Cold Pipe, EMS Powered Digital Boost Gauge, TRD Strut Braces, Innovate O2, Blitz SBC i-color EBC - "ARCH ROLLER FOR HIRE"
ashley

Post by ashley »

Check the main charging lead to the alternator, mine went on my old track car- it breaks near the plug then starts arcing...add a bit of oil and that could be a culprit :thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

When my engine set fire it was because the engine earthing points had disintegrated with age and so the electricity took the path of least resistance and caused a fire on-route.

Might be worth checking your engine earths :?:
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
Sweete

Post by Sweete »

Thanks for all the advice guys, sadly going to have to put off looking at this now for a week or so as now have 2 cracked ribs so just going to be too painful to crawl round on the floor checking earths and removing old alternator.

Once i'm better I'll let you know how I get on and take pictures of what I find. In the meantime he'll have to stay tucked up in the garage. (just when we have a heatwave and could of made the most of the leaking T-Bars!!)

Thanks Si :thumleft:
gtschris.com

fire

Post by gtschris.com »

Fire is scary stuff!

This is what a fuel fire looks like:

Car was repaired over night and raced the next day...
www.gtschris.com
tel: 01670 737080
mob: 07786070103
Sweete

Post by Sweete »

GTSchris - Luckily mine wasn't that bad thank god!!

Well update on this one - Ribs finaly repaired and managed to get the car up on stands and investigate the damage properly. Luckily the alternater bared all of the damage so must of caught it just in time. So alternator off and off to be reconditioned and this little blighter was the culprit by the look of things.

Luckily a good friend and MR2 Guru GTech has a spare circular plug so will get that soldered to the existing wires as the ones on the above plug are too short to repair.

While i'm on going to add some extra earthing cables just for peace of mind.

So fingers crossed should be back on the road in the next week.

:thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”