Driver's side lock not unlocking passenger door.

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

BIGBOBO

Driver's side lock not unlocking passenger door.

Post by BIGBOBO »

I got a mk1a and can lock and unlock both doors from the passenger side. Unlocking the driver side door doesn't unlock the passenger door but locking it does locks both doors.

(the button inside the cabin works and (un)locks both doors)

I'm guessing this isn't standard behavior? If so what would be the first thing to look at??
elbon50

Re: Driver's side lock not unlocking passenger door.

Post by elbon50 »

There was another thread a few days ago title "Central Locking Fault"

The problem he was having seemed very similar to yours

Jimi suggested C / L control relay fault (or wiring to relay)

Relay is in drivers door apparently
BIGBOBO

Post by BIGBOBO »

I had some time to look farther into this today.

The door lock control relay is different in a mk1a than a mk1b so the BG wasn't usefull. I found a wiring diagram for a mk1a and came to the conclusion that the wire to the drivers key lock switch was missing. All other eight wires were there, including the wire to the passenger key lock switch.

I have no clue why the wire is missing, the wiring loom is unmodified as far as a I know. Factory error perhaps?
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

I was under the impression that central locking on a mk1a should only work from the button and never with the key so I'd be more interested to know why yours seems to partially work. Maybe someone in the past has tried to add this functionality
jimi

Post by jimi »

UK MK1a's didn't lock from the key, only the button. However European LHD MK1a's did, they should unlock/lock from either door according to the 1984 Electrical BGB that I have
jimi

Post by jimi »

BIGBOBO wrote: came to the conclusion that the wire to the drivers key lock switch was missing.

According to my book the drivers switch should have a Light Blue/White wire coming from pin 5 on the relay and a White/Black wire going to earth (chassis ground)
BIGBOBO

Post by BIGBOBO »

It's the light blue/white wire on pin 5 that's missing. All other wires are there.

It should work if I add the wire but haven't had the time yet to trace it back and see which parts are there and which ones aren't.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”