[Mk2] [Turbo] Possible bolt sheared off car, ID help!!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rs007

[Mk2] [Turbo] Possible bolt sheared off car, ID help!!

Post by rs007 »

Prob Peter Gidden with his encyclopaedic brain will be able to answer this :D

Driving along at low speed, heard a clatter.

Was just stopping anyway, so looked back up road and saw this, lifted it to stop it puncturing someones tyre.

Now, it might just have been on the road anyway, might have been nothing to do with my car, and just got kicked up with my wheel, hitting my underside hence the clatter.

But it could have came off too, you can understand my concern I'm sure.

Anyway, its M10, don't know the length of the threaded portion as its sheared at the transition, but the plain shaft is 65mm long. The head is flanged and as can be seen has a number 7 on it. It is 14mm accross the flats. Typically a japanese bolt size, and I'm sure I've seen plenty bolts like that around my car with the number stamped in - hence my concern.

If you think it is from my car, anyone any idea where? I did recently have the front torque restrictor off, I am wondering if it is the big central bolt through that, but am not in a position to get it checked right now.

Any ideas appreciated guys.

Nik_L

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Possible bolt sheared off car, ID help!!

Post by Nik_L »

Looks the same as the alternator bottom bolt. Might be worth checking that out.
rs007

Post by rs007 »

Nik_L wrote:Looks the same as the alternator bottom bolt. Might be worth checking that out.

I think we might have a winner, just looking down at the area I can see a hole where I reckon the pivot bolt is meant to be.

If it is that, what the f*&k? Why would it shear like that? I replaced the alternator around 1200 miles ago, but I never overtighten bolts - if anything the opposite. Unless it was 9/10 sheared already and its just went... odd

Anyone got a spare alternator bolt, or, at least can tell me the length of the threaded portion so I can buy a high tensile bolt of the same sort of size?
Nik_L

Post by Nik_L »

Mine was the same, but it was hanging out.

Bolt was threaded so i just got a long bolt (100mm) and put a nut on the end. Has been fine ever since.
rs007

Post by rs007 »

Nik_L wrote:Mine was the same, but it was hanging out.

Bolt was threaded so i just got a long bolt (100mm) and put a nut on the end. Has been fine ever since.

Bizarre - only thing I can think of is it was pre stressed by previous owners, and was near snapped when I done the alternator. It came in and out of the bracket real easy, so I'll be amazed if I have any problems getting the broken part out.

Just a PITA I have to strip it all again, but it will take me 1/10th the time now I suppose.

Return to “Mechanical”