Favourite Wheels Options

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

HighwayStar

Re: Favourite Wheels Options

Post by HighwayStar »

Go to somewhere like Image Wheels and you can specify whether the bolts are on display or not... it's just the manner they are put together (classic build or sandwich mount as they put it). You could then also choose materials, finishes, exact diameters, widths and offsets, centre bores and PCDs to suit yourself..... if you have the funds that is.
They have a pretty huge range and if funds allow can even replicate the look of any other wheel you might find... with all the choices mentioned above stil available.

R

PS. You mention initially that you want the best for handling... if this is genuinely the case stay on 15's or poss go to 16's. The car was designed for 15s so for all the looks and maximum widths etc etc available the standard sizes (in whatever design you like) should function best. My own ideal would be a double staggered combo of 15x7 fronts and 16x8 rears, ET 35-32 all round in the lightest (billet?) material you can afford. Should give you plenty of tyre choice, good looking fitment yet work well with the rest of the suspension components (of which the wheels and tyres are a part of course).
Last edited by HighwayStar on Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Ive got a set of Toms Reno waiting to go on my tubby, they are gloss black, 7.5j front, 8j rear, 16s all round.

I also have split bbs rs803s but wont fit the mr2 however they are far from cheap.. £2700 for a new set from audi without tyres.. Im going to be polishing the full wheel then possibly going for gold looking studs and sticking them up for sale or putting them on a 2nd car if i get another one as a daily driver

Back to topic, 16s an 17s seem the most common, i would have went either or, atm i have 18s from previous owner but too rough for my liking so looking forward to 16s going on
Nic

Post by Nic »

Magic Beans wrote:Rays TE37s in bronze, no contest :thumleft:

^yeah that^ shame they don't do the new TE37 SL Black Edition in 16"
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
SrSilkie

Post by SrSilkie »

Thanks uglee that helps.

Love the TE37's aswell but not sure if I would have them on and MR2, ill google it.

Would rather not get into custom jobs unless the whole car was full off custom work
msherry21

Post by msherry21 »

These are the best wheels but I'm biased. :D

17x7 and 17x8, can't remember the bloody offsets though!
Http://www.planet-wax.com, Mobile Car Valet & Car Detailing based in Glasgow.
SrSilkie

Post by SrSilkie »

These are the best wheels but I'm biased. :D

17x7 and 17x8, can't remember the bloody offsets though![/quote]

They look very ferrari like. I think that style goes well with the red.

Good point though I have a fair idea what wheel offset is all about but could someone establish what the max and min offsets are? also does width affect the offset you go for?
rowey200

Post by rowey200 »

Those BBS LMs are lovely :clap:

I'm currently running some 17" staggered Oz Superleggeras....I think they suit the car well :D

Marf

Post by Marf »

IME having used 15, 16 and 17 inch setups, 16s give the best trade off between looks and handling

16x7/8 with 205/50 and 225/45 :thumleft:
K22WES

Post by K22WES »

rays ms-01 17", 8" front and 9" rears et35.

will be for sale soon if your interested.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Hey Wilkie.
Offset is the distance from the centre line of the wheel (ie half way between the two 'faces' of the wheel) to the actual mounting face of the wheel. (ie the bit that will sit flush against the hub of the vehicle).
Min and max offsets then are limited ultimately by the wheel width (a 6" rim for example has a 3" distance from either face to its centre line. It follows then that wherever the mounting face is situated on that particular wheel it couldn't be beyond 3" away form said centre line). The reality is that offsets are measured in mm normally and only vary by a relatively small amount but of course they could be either side of the centre line (+ and - offset). Two different 7" rims therefore could have offsets say of +35 and -35 so whilst they are the same width one will stick out 7cm (35mm + 35mm) more than the other.
Does that help?

R.
Johnr32

Post by Johnr32 »

Marf wrote:IME having used 15, 16 and 17 inch setups, 16s give the best trade off between looks and handling

16x7/8 with 205/50 and 225/45 :thumleft:

+1

I've had 17s before but then changed to 16s and the ride was so much better on the UK roads. The response and handling seemed better too.
SrSilkie

Post by SrSilkie »

HighwayStar wrote:Hey Wilkie.
Offset is the distance from the centre line of the wheel (ie half way between the two 'faces' of the wheel) to the actual mounting face of the wheel. (ie the bit that will sit flush against the hub of the vehicle).
Min and max offsets then are limited ultimately by the wheel width (a 6" rim for example has a 3" distance from either face to its centre line. It follows then that wherever the mounting face is situated on that particular wheel it couldn't be beyond 3" away form said centre line). The reality is that offsets are measured in mm normally and only vary by a relatively small amount but of course they could be either side of the centre line (+ and - offset). Two different 7" rims therefore could have offsets say of +35 and -35 so whilst they are the same width one will stick out 7cm (35mm + 35mm) more than the other.
Does that help?

R.

Yup I get it now, that was a good way of explaining it, thanks :)

Ps im diggin' your mr2 without the spoiler.
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

I'm going to be using 16 inch RP01's 7J et35 front and 8j et38 rears with 195 45 16 fronts and 225 40 16 rear if I can get it all set up how I want, dropping the car on it's ar$e by then I'll have no choice but to drive sensibly

Win :D
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

I think 17s fill the arches best but as with mine 16s deep dish split rim look bigger than they are.

I do love how they look. 8) I have other split rims but don't wanna change

Big_Martin

Post by Big_Martin »

This is my favourite wheel option :thumleft:

WedsSport RS-5
7J x 16 et35 195/50/16
8J x 16 et28 225/45/16

JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Advans ftw!
Im running double staggered 16x7 17x8.

RST

Post by RST »

Pro Race 1.2's when it suits...

Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

Big Martin, Is your car lowered? I'm about to get some rims with the same fitment ET35 x 7J fronts and am a tad paranoid they won't clear my coilover struts?
Big_Martin

Post by Big_Martin »

Ryan6926 wrote:Big Martin, Is your car lowered? I'm about to get some rims with the same fitment ET35 x 7J fronts and am a tad paranoid they won't clear my coilover struts?

Yes, I have BCs with about 35mm drop on the front. No clearance issues at all, my previous fronts were 7.5J et32 and they were fine too :thumleft:
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

Perfect nice one thanks :D

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”