**UPDATED** 1991 Rev 1 (Beastly V6 1MZ-FE VVTI) **UPDATED**

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

blue2

Re: **UPDATED** 1991 Rev 1 (Beastly V6 1MZ-FE VVTI) **UPDATED**

Post by blue2 »

Looking good Karl. What upgrades have you done/are doing with the cooling system. I see you've upgraded the rad, have you replaced the coolant pipes under the car? I replaced them on mine, pain of a job but it was a job well worth doing as the last thing you want is a cooling problem after all the hard work you've put into this.
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

KarlBristol wrote:
blue2 wrote:Whats the timeline Karl? When is the beast going to be on the road?

The aim is to collect it the first week of December :thumleft:

2013?
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

ashley wrote:
KarlBristol wrote:

I want my car back :lol:

Me too!! :lol:

Looking forwards to seeing the exhaust they come up with, I'm looking for someone to build me an exhaust system next winter...

No queue jumping :lol:

We know what exhaust set up we want, (I won't let the cat out of the bag by saying what's going on with it). Needless to say though if it comes in budget it will be a little different, aid the V6 engine, look great and be fully stainless for longevity.

Conan wrote:Rad Cap at ICP
http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts_i ... searchKey=

Karl... just call if you need something quickly... ](*,) :lol:

:thumleft:

Thanks Conan,

Link is saved for future purchase when I get the car back.
I wasn't in a huge rush for the link as I'd only be tempted to buy it sooner rather than later:lol:

I will call you next time although my phone is still dead where the dog ate it ](*,) In fact I will try and drop you a text you back about using the pit at mine :thumleft:

blue2 wrote:Looking good Karl. What upgrades have you done/are doing with the cooling system. I see you've upgraded the rad, have you replaced the coolant pipes under the car? I replaced them on mine, pain of a job but it was a job well worth doing as the last thing you want is a cooling problem after all the hard work you've put into this.

Thanks mate :thumleft:
Tbh I can't remember fully what I asked Peter to do. I don't think that the coolant pipes were on the list. If they aren't I will be doing them myself shortly after the cars return :thumleft:

Any tips to easy replacement of them?
Any links to good replacement pipes?

rev3turbo wrote:
KarlBristol wrote:

2013?

:lol: nope - 2012
It's a little overdue....

I'm still paying tax and insurance every month as well - that's the scary bit :pale:
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
ashley

Post by ashley »

KarlBristol wrote:
No queue jumping :lol:

KarlBristol wrote:

If it's gonna be December before yours is done then I fully intend to queue jump, I'm not planning to wait that long for mine :wink:

:lol:
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

It was meant to be the first week of Dec 2012 that I collected it, so that it was ready for my birthday and the impending car shows...

I hope its finished before Dec of this year as I don't want it to be a full year overdue :lol:

If you queue jump I will be liable to turn into the hulk :mrgreen: :lol:

blue2

Post by blue2 »

I got mine from Toyota and had them fit them. I had no choice as I was going to Lemans the day after so was in a real hurry. Was expensive coming in at just over £800. But its a worth while job to do, replace these and the other smaller coolant pipes and your future proofing your car from overheating issues that may have arised had you not replaced them.

Obviously avoid Toyota and have a go yourself I dont think its that hard to do.

Given the amount of time and money you have already invested Id recommend giving it some thought.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

That's not a bad thought, thanks for the heads up. I know that some of the pipes were replaced a while ago and I do aim to replace them at some stage. My mentality with the car is that if I haven't either had it replaced or replaced it with new myself its in the "to do" list.

The aim is that within 3 years of owning the car it will have had a whole refurb from the ground up with full new parts. I am aiming for an improved brand new MR2 on an original chassis. There isn't loads and loads of big jobs left so the coolant pipes are definitely creeping closer to the top of the list. I've got to be honest I'm not looking forward to it as I have heard its a bit of a nightmare. I'm dreading it even more now I've heard how much you paid to have it sorted! :pale:

I will price things up when the car comes back. It will have to be Toyota parts as Im sticking to original parts where I can, although I will try to do the swap myself I think to save a bit :thumleft:

Might actually start a proper to do list for myself so that I have a clear aim for the near future :-k ...

Conan

Post by Conan »

I'd be happy to help you with that job Karl, just make sure the tank is near empty. I reckon getting the tank back in is the hardest part of it, so 2 or 3 would be best & better if we use the pit! :thumleft:

My query is what do you replace them with??? :-k

OEM or is there an Aftermarket option?
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that. We need to attack your car with the help of my pit first though. We really need to get yours back on the road!! :thumleft:

In relation to the hoses, normally I would replace with OEM straight away, although I'm going to do some research to see what upgraded coolant hoses are on the market and what benefits these could offer when offset against the price.

From a brief scan through some race pages silicone hoses would seem to be the way forward if I don't go OEM as they would be stronger, less brittle, and have less flex to ensure a constant pressure. Only issue I can see (apart from money) is that fact that I will need it replace it with a combination of various different hoses. Trying to work out exactly what's needed might prove a small task :-k

Currently I'm looking at colour matched SamcoSport coolant hoses as a potential option to OEM. Time will tell - money will be too tight to do anything major on it in a while anyway so it's at the planning stage for a while anyway.

Anyway, so what's happened with my car recently?

Well as you all know Peter has been at Le Mans recently, and has clearly come back refreshed as he has hit this build with a new lease of life. The car build has moved forward a lot today.

Firstly the dual throttle body for picked up from the blasters looking better than new

Then it got re-assembled

It then got mounted to the engine ready to be fixed into the car. There's a lot that I want to say about the next couple of pictures but I will let the pictures and quality of work speak for itself

Showing off all my new suspension, brake and other bits. There is an engine hiding behind it all somewhere, honest!!

Then came the bolting in...

I'm ecstatic. The engine is now fully bolted in and the loom passed through to the boot ready to be fully wired in.

The next thing to do is re-attach the sub-frame, driveshafts, hubs, brakes, arms, etc... There's still some little fiddly jobs left to do as well but regardless of that the car should be back on the ground on wheels by the end of the week. More importantly it should be fully up and running with a new custom exhaust, mot etc... by the end of July :thumleft: :mrgreen:

Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Re. posts above about coolant pipes.

Never had to replace a main coolant pipe under car in 9 years.

O/S heater pipe above tank is common problem - rearmost mounting bracket leaks where it is brazed to pipe.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

That's definitely a handsome engine :thumleft:
moscoworbust

Post by moscoworbust »

clean up the engine bay before you put the engine in!!!

Mine annoys me all the time and I can't get a rag/sandpaper/paint in the gaps to sort it out properly...
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

Haven't been keeping up to date with this properly Karl, it's so great to have a look and see how far it's come on recently. Looks absolutely amazing mate.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Magic Beans wrote:That's definitely a handsome engine :thumleft:

Thanks bud I think so and it fills the engine bay so much better!
It's definitely a good base to work from. Much like you though this is only the start of my engine as I've got many plans for it when it's back in the garage :mrgreen:

moscoworbust wrote:clean up the engine bay before you put the engine in!!!

Mine annoys me all the time and I can't get a rag/sandpaper/paint in the gaps to sort it out properly...

It was on the original check sheet and I seem to remember Peter saying that he cleaned and t-cut the engine bay. It was a while ago but I think he also said that he resprayed the heat shield.

I'm sure it's just how it comes out in the pictures.

jack-p wrote:Haven't been keeping up to date with this properly Karl, it's so great to have a look and see how far it's come on recently. Looks absolutely amazing mate.

Thanks bud. It's come on a lot recently which I am pleased with. We need a proper catch up soon, especially as the car is back soon!!

A new role in work is keeping me more than busy recently so drop me a text soon and we will sort something out :thumleft:

KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Over the past couple of days Peter has been working on getting the car back on four wheels again.

The subframe and rear mount got put back on the car first. Part of the poly bushing of the entire car resulted in both the arb bushes being replaced with new ones.

Unfortunately the ARB bracket bolts snapped, so they got drilled out and replaced.

The shafts, suspension and brakes then all got refitted. The other tie bar needs to be checked and the braided clutch hose needs to be fitted but for the time being the car is far enough along for this to happen

Yes before you mention it the sills need a good clean again and some black on black :lol:

The engine cover then got put on :mrgreen:

That's where we are up to. So far so good - it's going really well!!

Here is the do list:

- Finish V6 rebuild Done
- Port and polish (need to double check)
- Remove 3sfe Done
- Fit V6 and wire (bolted in but needs wiring)
- Fit new LSD gearbox Done
- Fit new clutch and flywheel Done
- Fit braided clutch hose
- Fit my new trackrod ends and ball joints (will double check if its done)
- Source and fit aftermarket air intake
- Replace radiator with new aluminium radiator and new fans Done
- Clean mr2 engine bay Done
- Wire engine lid fans
- Finish polybushing the entire car (think this is pretty much done)
- Alter speedo so it works with the new gearbox
- Reset odometer to 0
- Ensure there is a de-limiter if needed
- Fit original JDM flare & holder
- Fit new unrated fuel pump Done
- Wire internal clock in
- Sort out nasty knocking on the front of the car (no knocking found - will double check on the test drive)
- x4 wheel alignment
- Order and fit new stainless exhaust and backbox
- MOT

It's getting there :thumleft:
Last edited by KarlBristol on Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

All coming together nicely! :thumleft: Looking forward to seeing your new exhaust fitted, not sure I`d bother fitting the flare though!
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

D4N_V_U wrote:All coming together nicely! :thumleft: Looking forward to seeing your new exhaust fitted, not sure I`d bother fitting the flare though!

Thanks mate, I can't wait to see it either. The exhaust should have a lovely grumble to it as well as looking cracking!!

Not a fan of the flare? It's got to go in, it is so JDM and a bit rare!!! :lol:

Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

KarlBristol wrote:
D4N_V_U wrote:All coming together nicely! :thumleft: Looking forward to seeing your new exhaust fitted, not sure I`d bother fitting the flare though!

Thanks mate, I can't wait to see it either. The exhaust should have a lovely grumble to it as well as looking cracking!!

Not a fan of the flare? It's got to go in, it is so JDM and a bit rare!!! :lol:

It's the fact you've got a 20 year old explosive attached to fabric in your newly modified car which worries people 8-[

Let me know when you're collecting it, as I'll try to meet up with you :)
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Lol - don't worry. I will have it removed for most of the time and placed in dry storage tbh and only fit it for shows.

I will give you a shout when I have the exact collection date sorted :thumleft:

juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

KarlBristol wrote:

Yes before you mention it the sills need a good clean again and some black on black :lol:

The engine cover then got put on :mrgreen:

That's where we are up to. So far so good - it's going really well!!

It's getting there :thumleft:

Wow :shock: youve got some machine there Karl!

Once you get her back, a good detailing and some nicely placed mirrors will show her in full effect both inside, out and under \:D/

mmm What would show her off even better???

A KO Racing highly polished engine shroud!

Then you can show off the V6 in all its glory :twisted: :thumleft:

Looking good. My old Lexan blinds will look pauper-ish in comparison to all the JDM and V6 goddies you have there!

Return to “Member Profiles”