IMOC Trackday- Sat 3rd September @ Elvington

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

DoM

Re: IMOC Trackday- Sat 3rd September @ Elvington

Post by DoM »

I found the marshals post on that back straight was a perfect braking point for me, though I nearly went straight on towards the end when my tyres were disintegrating!
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Icsunonove wrote:
Here's a pic Mark Nias took during a slowing down lap.....

Copyright Mark Nias 2005

LoL ! Nice picture -

:twisted: That's a picture that is begging for a caption: "Look, me in a 4 wheel drift with no hands and just using my knees to steer " ;)
Sooty

Post by Sooty »

DoM wrote:I found the marshals post on that back straight was a perfect braking point for me

Spot on. I could break just a little later than the blonde on her chair, but most seemed to be braking way before then.
JELBE

Post by JELBE »

aaronjb wrote:Had the most fun I've had in a long time, even though I wasn't as fast as some of the Roadster boys (Lee - red roadster - is an absolute loon :lol: ), but still had fantastic fun. ;)

Glad you enjoyed the laps :twisted: , I had a great day and can't wait to get on another trackday. Thanks to Lauren for organising it!
stevel

Post by stevel »

I nearly forgot to thank Mark for the pictures as well, they are really good =D>
I will pm you later about getting a couple of them.

Cheers

Steve
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Sooty wrote:
Icsunonove wrote:The run home was a bit fraught though cos I had to push on a bit because it was getting dark and I now have only one headlight…..

Will get some Blu-tak and Bostik (as per the official Lotus instructions) :lol: and bodge it up tomorrow…

If you or your dad need any Lotus advice or help sourcing any bits, please give me a shout.

To refit the headlight you need to remove the wheel and the lining and you can get to it from the back.

I also have the service manual on cd somewhere if you want a copy.

LOL! :lol: Sooty, you forgot the bit about the fusebox! Has anyone else got a car where the fusebox is attached to the wheel arch liner? :shock: Worse than that one of the retaining screws is completely inaccessible. So it looks like I've got to remove the wiring loom to remove the wheel arch liner ](*,) . Well done Lotus =D> , I see you are keeping up the Colin Chapman legacy! He'd be proud of you!

Reminds me a bit of the Autodelta instructions for changing a cambelt on a 20 valve turbo Fiat Coupe. Line 1 goes something like......

1. Remove engine :lol:

On the plus side, Lotus had all the parts in stock that I need to repair it. Here they are:

Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Icsunonove wrote:Well done Lotus =D> , I see you are keeping up the Colin Chapman legacy! He'd be proud of you!

;)
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
MartG

Post by MartG »

Sooty wrote:
DoM wrote:I found the marshals post on that back straight was a perfect braking point for me

Spot on. I could break just a little later than the blonde on her chair, but most seemed to be braking way before then.

I started off braking at the marshalling post, but as the day went on I was having to brake earlier and earlier as my brake pedal went softer :roll: Bled them on Sunday and they are now OK again, though I think I'll invest in some higher spec front pads for the next time.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

We weren't boosting down the long straight, just to go easy on the brakes, the pads are way to expensive for that!!
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

First time back on line and must say a big thanks to Lauren and Mark for organising the track day. My mate James also wanted me to pass on his thanks for a superb experience, I don't think he'd been in a car driven properly before! :lol: He thinks you're a nutter Lauren!

Really enjoyed the rides in the teg, elise and SC, shame there wasn't time for more. :(

Chris
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Well everyone seemed to love the Elvington trackday, so why not come to Anglesey on 22nd / 23rd October?

Ok, there's no huge run off like there is at Elvington and the weather might be dodgy, but heh, who dares wins!

See here for details:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17565

Goldy

Post by Goldy »

MartG wrote:
Sooty wrote:

I started off braking at the marshalling post, but as the day went on I was having to brake earlier and earlier as my brake pedal went softer :roll: Bled them on Sunday and they are now OK again, though I think I'll invest in some higher spec front pads for the next time.

I got some greenstuff pads on the front, they were totally amazing on track, I didn't lock up once, and I was canning it down the back straight (got to 110 once)and stamping on the brakes real hard! almost missed the corner.... I cannot reccomend EBC greenstuff enough no fade what so ever throughout the day.... i was totally impressed!
ImageImage
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

We've got Porterfield pads all round which are really stupendous, but at £80 for the fronts and £90something for the rears, I wasn't about to demolish them in a day :shock:
aaronjb

Post by aaronjb »

Speedy wrote:We've got Porterfield pads all round which are really stupendous, but at £80 for the fronts and £90something for the rears, I wasn't about to demolish them in a day :shock:

I love having such a light car.. :D I was running stock Toyota pads on the Roadster, and even after repeated late braking (late enough that the ABS was just chirping) on that long back straight, the pads don't seem to have lost any meat at all.. and they're £90 for all four ;)

Think I might have rather boiled my brake fluid, though.. :oops:
phild

Post by phild »

If I could exit the long bend above 60 mph and breaked hard a little after the marshall's post then I could manage to go just above 95 by the time I braked, I was trying for the elusive 100 but just couldn't do it...Oh and Simon, remember with those lower than standard profile tyres that they do over read by 10% than the standard tyres.
MartG

Post by MartG »

aaronjb wrote:Think I might have rather boiled my brake fluid, though.. :oops:

Going by the state of what came out when I bled mine the day after, I think I did too :lol: - hence the soft brake pedal I was suffering from after the first couple of runs.

Probably going to go for Greenstuff pads, or possibly redstuff with green on the back. May invest in a set of Goodridge hoses too.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Don't use Redstuff Mart, they've got very poor cold response which is not good in traffic on a cold day! :shock: They're designed for track use where they're always hot.

I found I had to pump my brakes to get them working well once they'd cooled down after a run but didn't experience any fade throughout the day. I was very impressed with the Porterfields on Alex & Anna's SC.
MartG

Post by MartG »

phild wrote:If I could exit the long bend above 60 mph and breaked hard a little after the marshall's post then I could manage to go just above 95 by the time I braked, I was trying for the elusive 100 but just couldn't do it...Oh and Simon, remember with those lower than standard profile tyres that they do over read by 10% than the standard tyres.

I usually managed to take the bend at about 65, and the best I managed down the straight was 105 ( allowing for the 10% overread I know I've got on the speedo ). I think it was that bend that did for my rear left tyre, though not as bad as some as I wasn't quite through to the carcass on the shoulder of the tyre :lol:
DoM

Post by DoM »

Limeymk1 wrote:Don't use Redstuff Mart, they've got very poor cold response which is not good in traffic on a cold day! :shock: They're designed for track use where they're always hot.

I found I had to pump my brakes to get them working well once they'd cooled down after a run but didn't experience any fade throughout the day. I was very impressed with the Porterfields on Alex & Anna's SC.

The Red Stuff Ceramic pads are great, mine bite from cold far better than other compounds I've used in the past and experience no fade on track.

Very happy with them :D
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

Hrms.... is it worthwhile getting a brake fluid change?? Mine looks a lot darker than it did when it went in....

I'm getting an oil change done... but is brake fluid worth gettin done as well?

As for 110 on the clock.... 10% over still means I managed to hit 100 before stamping on the anchors!! :P
ImageImage

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”