Changing my dizz and rotory arm

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

cosmos

Dizzy

Post by cosmos »

Got my Dizzy capfrom Ben Formesyn the copper inserts with special bonding to the terminal posts type now thats worth £70. Bosche used to do brass terminals, great spark, decrud once a year last for years.
Harold

Re: Changing my dizz and rotory arm

Post by Harold »

Odin_S wrote:
Harold wrote:I've had a blueprint dizzy cap on my car for about three years and 12k miles, still working perfectly.

I'm not say the blueprint ones aint good, i've used them in the past, just if i have the spare money at the time i prefer to go OEM

Your logical could be applied to tyres. If i never spun out on a set of ditch finders does mean it applies to everyone or say TR1 are not worth more? Some people drive differently

That logic doesn't really apply, the oem & blueprint dizzy caps will both work just as well as each other but the blueprint probably won't last as long but only costs about £20. Whereas with tyres a premium tyre would out perform a ditchfinder in every respect.
If it was the case that the pattern parts didn't perform as well then i would replace with oem. I do not skimp on parts for my car, especially tyres, but that doesn't mean i don't take cost effectiveness into consideration.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Harold wrote:That logic doesn't really apply.

Some might suggest your logic is also flawed...

Harold wrote:probably won't last as long.

Harold wrote:that doesn't mean i don't take cost effectiveness into consideration.
Harold

Post by Harold »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
Harold wrote:That logic doesn't really apply.

Some might suggest your logic is also flawed...

Harold wrote:probably won't last as long.

Harold wrote:that doesn't mean i don't take cost effectiveness into consideration.

Considering it costs a quarter of the price I think it's been quite a cost effective purchase.
TheBaker

Post by TheBaker »

I did mine few years back with a cheap(ebay) parts, if I was doing it again, I'd prob buy genuine, the rotor arm got destroyed after a few weeks. :lol:

Put the old(Toyota) one back in and it was fine. Distributor cap was fine though.

Little tale for y'all. :)
Last edited by TheBaker on Fri May 31, 2013 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

blueprint rotor arm and dizzy cap is and was fine on my old 400hp rev5 turbo!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

If anything the wildly varied tales just go to prove that their quality control is terrible. You might get a good part, you might not :)
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Lol i like this thread as ill be looking at the condition of my rotor and dizzy in next few weeks although ive already decided on genuine (i think) :-k
jon

Post by jon »

toxo wrote:If you're interested there is a guide somewhere written by a guy in the US on modifying your dizzy cap to have copper contacts. Paul Port did a load and they are still floating around now!

I've got one of those, still going strong after 7 or so years! I just check the dizzy cap every couple of years, find it still looks OK and put it back on again :D

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”