Protecting the underside of my Mk 2, what are my options

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rowey200

Protecting the underside of my Mk 2, what are my options

Post by rowey200 »

Just had my current Mk 2 mot'd - went through without any major issues (needed both 'cancer' bars replacing plus some cleaning of the throttle body to get through the emissions test).

While the car was on the ramp I took the opportunity to have a look / poke around. While all appears solid underneath there is surface rust on various body / suspension parts - what are my options in terms of sorting this / protecting the underbody. I was thinking about getting the car back on a ramp and waxoyling the most susceptible parts....is this worth my while or are there any alternatives? I don’t intend spending a fortune and going over the top, but at the same time I would like to add some protection to the underside of the car :thumleft:

Cheers in advance :D
BlackpoolMR2

Re: Protecting the underside of my Mk 2, what are my options

Post by BlackpoolMR2 »

Hammerite is possibly the best near alternative.
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

Have just done this with the new arms & polybushes due to go on mine.

Wire-wooled with a dremel, applied rust-remover to convert as much of the oxidisation back to sound metal as possible and two coats of hammerite.

Now I just need the weather to improve long enough for them to be fitted. The joys of having no garage...

Main problem with hammerite / waxoyl is that if you have significant rust on a component the sealing effectively just seals the rust in - it doesn't stop it. With wire wool you obviously won't get all of it off but it minimises it as much as possible. It's not a major issue for components such as arms which are thick pieces of metal but obviously the more you can do to extend the longevity the better.

I've happily used Dinitrol (a type of waxoyl used by a few garages I know into classic cars it seems) on the arches, mind. Anything is better than nothing. :)
Rev 2 Turbo (Testing my patience)

Golf GTI MK5 (Competent but dull)
cosmos

Underbody protection

Post by cosmos »

When in a scrapyard did you ever see a rusty engine bay?
oil grease or a combo of both and a brush to apply about once a year before MOT time, or a searching type oil, spray or pump action. All Toyota's after 1996ish i read were classed as "world cars" and enjoyed the same underbody protection whatever the eventual world destination.
Sills must be the priority being cold,dark,damp cavities.
cosmos

Underbody protection

Post by cosmos »

When in a scrapyard did you ever see a rusty engine bay?
oil grease or a combo of both and a brush to apply about once a year before MOT time, or a searching type oil, spray or pump action. All Toyota's after 1996ish i read were classed as "world cars" and enjoyed the same underbody protection whatever the eventual world destination.
Sills must be the priority being cold,dark,damp cavities.
cosmos

Body

Post by cosmos »

The hard rubber type vent plugs under the sills..four per sill are awkward to remove to possibly pump waxoyl etc into, anyone thought of an alternative plug, anyone priced these 8 plugs??
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

I agree on the sills. Peter advised me to get into the car, remove the back quarter interior trim on each side, whip out the foam filling each sill and spray some waxoyl or similiar in there. Is a 30 min job and gives you peace of mind.
Rev 2 Turbo (Testing my patience)

Golf GTI MK5 (Competent but dull)
rowey200

Post by rowey200 »

Lots of great advice here thanks folks.....the next free (and dry) weekend I have I'll get under the car and see what I can do :thumleft:
asdrewq

Post by asdrewq »

Marlowe wrote:I agree on the sills. Peter advised me to get into the car, remove the back quarter interior trim on each side, whip out the foam filling each sill and spray some waxoyl or similiar in there. Is a 30 min job and gives you peace of mind.

This, combined with peeling back the boot carpet and spraying it along the arch seam weld and down to the meeting point with the boot floor (where the electric aerial drains) is the best advice for keeping rust away.

I used Dynax S50 - sprayed in nice warm weather it is quite runny, and oozes nicely out of all the spot welded seams so you know it's in them as much as it can be.
cosmos

Rust

Post by cosmos »

Agree with above the electric aerial drain or a condensation drip affects the edge of the floor to outer wing area.............check it out.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”