electric speedo conversion - dancing speedo

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

clarkson23

electric speedo conversion - dancing speedo

Post by clarkson23 »

h recently changed mech speedo to a electric one , clocks were all ready electric(rev 1 engine in a rev 2 shell) i got a possitive from a black wire in fuse box , that gets power on ignition on and earthed it to the earthed to where the side panel is and the purple wire to the solid purple wire with white dots on the blue connector on back of clocks, now when i turn car on it dances up and down, and if you rev it it flies all over the place - now have i earthed it bad or have i got purple wire wrong? please help ive had no speedo for ages!!!!!!#
pics
bobhatton

Re: electric speedo conversion - dancing speedo

Post by bobhatton »

If its a rev 2 car all the wiring is there. Just fit the plug onto the spedo drive in the gearbox
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
clarkson23

Post by clarkson23 »

no mate sorry its a rev 1 engine loom as well , body was a rev 2 loom behind dash is rev 2 , and engine loom is rev 1, i know i should have re-pinned it, but any ideas?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

clarkson23 wrote:no mate sorry its a rev 1 engine loom as well , body was a rev 2 loom behind dash is rev 2 , and engine loom is rev 1, i know i should have re-pinned it, but any ideas?

You need to extend the speedo wires from the Rev 2 loom, the body one if you have that if not the dash one down to the sensor and fit the right way round.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”