Taking delivery of a Haslbeck Mr2

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

PW@Woodsport

Re: Taking delivery of a Haslbeck Mr2

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Well the Haslbeck finally arrived today, I knew the car itself was going to be in a very poor state but wasn't prepared for just how bad, just about the most rotten Mk1 I've ever seen (and I've seen a lot!)

Here it is, one of two believed "Silver Knight" UK Haslbecks, the other one was white and I have no idea where it is or if it even exists anymore.... oddly this car was previously white so it could well have been the same car making it unique in the UK..... we'll never know.

Presenting the rarest Toyota Mk1 kit option ever sold...

It has the original wheels that came with the Haslbecks, I have no history of these at all or if they were fitted to anything else at the time, but they seem to be pictured in all of the Haslbeck literature of the time...

It took around an hour to remove the entire kit, mainly because the car was so rotten most of the kit was barely attached and practically every bolt snapped off... how's this for rot...

In that quarter pic above there was no panel right up to 3" from the top, completely rotted out.

The kit removed from the car....

Front splitter needs repair before any molding can happen...

Love this number plate panel, this can be fitted to a standard Mk1 and will really facelift the rear...

So I now have a few months of panel repairing and repainting so the molds will be perfect, i'd estimate the molding process to take up to 8 months but I am determined to save this kit.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Holy crap was it stored on a beach? :shock:

Cool kit though. 8)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Bloody hell Paul, where did you find it?! After the initial posts I was hoping it would be saveable... looking at the pictures though there's clearlg no chance of that :shock:

Looking forward to the pictures of the kit molds though :thumleft:
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I think it's perhaps just as well the car was so rotten, it made it an easy decision to make molds so the kit can be reproduced for anyone that wants one rather than it being a one off.... the car was lying in a garden for 6 years and had a small herb garden growing INSIDE the car in the drivers footwell!

I specialize in rare Mk1 kit parts that are no longer available so this is right up my street.
boondougal

Post by boondougal »

PW@Woodsport wrote:I think it's perhaps just as well the car was so rotten, it made it an easy decision to make molds so the kit can be reproduced for anyone that wants one rather than it being a one off.... the car was lying in a garden for 6 years and had a small herb garden growing INSIDE the car in the drivers footwell!

I specialize in rare Mk1 kit parts that are no longer available so this is right up my street.

Mr Woods Mr2 imaginarium a magical place of all things mr2 wonderful!!

Any chance you can trace any history from the car vin plate, might be able to establish if this was the original one in white and where and how it came to be in the uk.

It really is a shame you didn't have this kit in your hands 10 years ago... i'm pretty sure there are alot of owners who might have done their restoration and opted for this... definitely would have been on my wish list.

Hopefully there are enough cars left out there to see a few of them with this on.

I know you don't do restorations but in 10/12 months time it would be interesting to see your price list for a full converted Mk1... engine and kit package!!!!!

i think you'll easily make your money back on the selling the number plate surround alone.
BARNEY_MK1

Post by BARNEY_MK1 »

Yes, an engine conversion and haslbeck kit package would be very tempting!
MartG

Post by MartG »

PW@Woodsport wrote: but I am determined to save this kit.

Good man :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Once the kit is ready there is no reason why I couldn't offer full fitment, painting and an engine swap package :thumleft:
Finn

Post by Finn »

That kit complete or partial would be very interesting.

I'm now just worried sick whether my car looks as rotten underneath as in the pics above. :cry:
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

That reminds me of Toni Gladdings' old SC I bought - no offence Toni
bwrc

Post by bwrc »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:That reminds me of Toni Gladdings' old SC I bought - no offence Toni

Did you buy that blue wide arched rolling shell I wondered what happened to it
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

PW@Woodsport wrote:I think it's perhaps just as well the car was so rotten, it made it an easy decision to make molds so the kit can be reproduced for anyone that wants one rather than it being a one off.... the car was lying in a garden for 6 years and had a small herb garden growing INSIDE the car in the drivers footwell!

Presumably the car itself is too rotten to save Paul :-k

Still useful for parts though
coanda

Post by coanda »

How much extra arch space do those front and rear wings get you?

The black one you posted up looks great.

A plan is forming already. Those front and rear wings smoothed out with some other of your parts paul - could look pretty damn good!
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

elbon50 wrote:

Presumably the car itself is too rotten to save Paul :-k

Still useful for parts though

Already sent for scrap, there was hardly a single useful part left on it, so i took the usual saleable stuff and it's now with a breaker.

I got the car for free :shock:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

coanda wrote:How much extra arch space do those front and rear wings get you?

The black one you posted up looks great.

A plan is forming already. Those front and rear wings smoothed out with some other of your parts paul - could look pretty damn good!

I didn't measure that but i'd guess 2 inches or so. The Styleauto front and rear bumpers would look rather good with these wide wings, but i really think it needs to be kept as a Haslbeck from a Toyota heritage point of view.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Ahhh is that the block you PM'ed me about?
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

bwrc wrote:
SuperRedMR2 wrote:That reminds me of Toni Gladdings' old SC I bought - no offence Toni

Did you buy that blue wide arched rolling shell I wondered what happened to it

Nope, I purchased her white over graphite grey track car.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

PW@Woodsport wrote:I got the car for free :shock:

Wow !

Presumably the owners of the garden were glad to be rid & clearly didn't know they had an uber rare bodykit on their hands

Lucky that you found the car before they dumped it :clap:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

No the owner was well aware he had a rare Haslbeck, he just wanted it to go to an enthusiast that would guarantee the kits survival, I agreed with him as I think the heritage of this particular kit is important to the MK1 community, even if it isn't your cup of tea, you have to admire Toyota doing something as cool as this.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

PW@Woodsport wrote:No the owner was well aware he had a rare Haslbeck, he just wanted it to go to an enthusiast that would guarantee the kits survival, I agreed with him as I think the heritage of this particular kit is important to the MK1 community, even if it isn't your cup of tea, you have to admire Toyota doing something as cool as this.

He gave it away to the right man

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”