[Mk2] [Turbo] ebay w2a cores ?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Spidey

[Mk2] [Turbo] ebay w2a cores ?

Post by Spidey »

Anyone tried any of the eBay W2A chargecooler cores ?

And preferably anyone with proven dyno'd results : )

I was looking at cores on www.frozenboost.com - but they are working out at twice the price of the eBay UK cores after shipping, taxes etc

TIA
Rob
bobhatton

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] ebay w2a cores ?

Post by bobhatton »

Spidey wrote:Anyone tried any of the eBay W2A chargecooler cores ?

And preferably anyone with proven dyno'd results : )

I was looking at cores on www.frozenboost.com - but they are working out at twice the price of the eBay UK cores after shipping, taxes etc

TIA
Rob

What do you want, somthing that works very well, or somthing very cheap?

Bell are the best http://www.bellintercoolers.com/index.html
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

I know and agree with the "you get what you pay for" mantra. I just thought that with cores, the design is relatively simple and easy to copy.

But, on the other hand, I can see that they might skimp/take shortcuts to cut costs, maybe use cheaper materials which are less efficient at transferring heat etc

I'll take a look at the Bell cores, thanks
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

The eBay cores are very good. I'd be highly surprised if they weren't the exact same ones that frozen boost sell, without the 'mark up'

My core was an eBay jobbie, and was always stone cold, even after lots of boost :)
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

I've heard (albeit not experienced) a lot of people saying the ebay cores are pretty damn good. Worth a shot for the cash at least :)
shinny

Post by shinny »

gazrev1tubby wrote:My core was an eBay jobbie, and was always stone cold, even after lots of boost :)

The fact the intercooler is cold says nothing... the important thing about a W2A core is how well it shifts heat from the air into the water. If your core is still cold after a hard run all that says is your pre-rad is shifting the heat being put into the water by the core sufficiently. However if your core isn't shifting much heat into the coolant then it's very easy for the pre-rad to keep the coolant cold and keeping the core itself cold to the touch.

I'm not saying the ebay coolers don't work (and TBH, a big inefficient core will probably work just as well as a small, efficient one), but your logic is flawed there Gaz, sorry :wink:
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

How so mark ????

If the core stays cold, it means that the charge heat is transferring efficiently from the core, into the water passages sufficiently.

The intake pipe from the core to the tb was also suitably cool, therefore meaning that the core was efficiently cooling the charge temps.

Yes of course the pre rad plays a part, and likewise the correct pump will also help.

By your logic, you're suggesting that 'any old' core will do, providing your pre rad works well. In which case, an eBay one will more than suffice.

So the answer is still, yes, the eBay cores are fine !
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Cheap ebay cores #-o

Tiny cores, oversize end tanks, poor baffling, and design. Just look at the them!

Hunt me a spearco please :thumleft:
shinny

Post by shinny »

gazrev1tubby wrote:If the core stays cold, it means that the charge heat is transferring efficiently from the core, into the water passages sufficiently.

Not remotely... the job of the core is to take heat out of the air, so to prove that's happening you need to see the water temperature rise. Simply putting your hand on the core and saying it's cold says absolutely nothing about how good that core is at taking heat out of the charge air - in an extreme case, you could literally have a cold water jacket around a straight through air pipe and the coolant would remain nice and cold, but its intercooling effect would be minimal.

gazrev1tubby wrote:The intake pipe from the core to the tb was also suitably cool, therefore meaning that the core was efficiently cooling the charge temps.

That's a much better sign :thumleft:

gazrev1tubby wrote:By your logic, you're suggesting that 'any old' core will do, providing your pre rad works well.

No, that's the exact opposite of my logic. A poor core is easier to make "look" right if all you care about is keeping a low coolant temperature. What you really care about is the temperature of the air coming out of the core and feeling how cool the core is says nothing about that unfortunately, although it is an encouraging sign that the rest of the system is working correctly.
Last edited by shinny on Wed May 08, 2013 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

Well - what i am taking from all this is that the ebay cores must work because Gaz's pipe coming out of the core going to the TB is cool.

I've seen guys on mr2oc.com running these type of cores and on (reliable) high hp cars.

I'm going to go for it ! : )
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

my ebay core worked well.......

given i had a powerFC and commander to monitor temps AND a highly responsive OEM style intake temp sensor in the OEM location, i can say, however there designed or were made, my intake temps barely raised a few degrees on boost.
unlike my side mount intercooler which saw temps increase anywhere from 10-20c on a single boosted pull...

gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

Yep, even last summer, my hand commander was suggesting intake temps of only circa 37 deg c on full boost
Last edited by gazrev1tubby on Wed May 08, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

Yep, even last summer, my hand commander was suggesting intake temps of only circa 37 deg c on full boost
ashley

Post by ashley »

gazrev1tubby wrote:Yep, even last summer, my hand commander was suggesting intake temps of only circa 37 deg c on full boost

37c sounds too high, especially with a core that large?
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

When the ambient temps were only 10 degrees lower !
jon_st205

Post by jon_st205 »

Doesn't the hand PFC commander take its reading from the IAT sensor rather than the MAT sensor, though?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

jon_st205 wrote:Doesn't the hand PFC commander take its reading from the IAT sensor rather than the MAT sensor, though?

Not on a gen3 power fc.

If it did. I wouldn't have noticed just how slow and laggy the oem mat sensor is compared to the replacement I used.

Return to “Modifications”