how stiff should a strut be?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jack-p

how stiff should a strut be?

Post by jack-p »

I bought a set of cheap yellow bilsteins a little while ago and to be fair they looked a little ropey.

Without the spring in place how stiff should the strut be? I can compress it with my hand, is that right?

Basically I don't want to waste my time fitting them and to find out they're shagged because it'll cost me an alignment.

Thanks guys.
CalMac

Re: how stiff should a strut be?

Post by CalMac »

I've just had a new set of Gaz shocks and they only compressed about an inch with some force! Don't know if this varies for different models etc. though
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

Yeah I think somethings up here to be honest, I'm sure there should be more resistance. Starting to realise why they were cheap now!! ](*,)
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

I would take the springs off to check them Jack, where did you buy them?
ashley

Post by ashley »

You should be able to compress them (without the springs on) but they should compress slowly, and should take a fair bit of your weight to go in- if they just go in with your hand then it sounds like sommit is amiss.
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

madbasshunter wrote:I would take the springs off to check them Jack, where did you buy them?

I'll get the other springs off and check the rest of the struts when I can bargain with someone to lend me a hand. I bought them from 4ndee who had them up on here, although I'm pretty sure I ended up getting them through ebay.

ashley wrote:You should be able to compress them (without the springs on) but they should compress slowly, and should take a fair bit of your weight to go in- if they just go in with your hand then it sounds like sommit is amiss.

Yep that one at least is definitely fecked then, at least I've saved the cost of cleaning them up, fitting them and paying for a wheel alignment though... cheers guys :thumleft:
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

...back to the seller then if they were described as working?

R
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Last edited by madbasshunter on Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

You could always buy a black bilsten for a tenner to replace the knackered yellow one??

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=170731

Although if they weren't as advertised or are faulty you are protected under eBay and paypal's buyer protection scheme and it should be easy enough to get your money back
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
RST

Post by RST »

I would say what most have said, they should compress by hand -but take a fair push. The other thing is, they should move relatively easily by hand but if you were to "jump" on it, it should resist. The point of a shock is that it will move all day -but if it's moved very quickly then it resists.

The other thing to look for is a very thin skim of oil on the chrome rod after it's been pushed in / out a few times. You won't see it, but noticeable on the hands afterwards.

But if it just glides in then fair enough, the internals might well be gone.

Only other thing I can advise is not to go for the "up-rated" Koni / KYB gas over oil strut inserts -they were totally naff on my old MR2 (OK on other cars I've had though).
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

Thanks Karl but the black and the yellow bilsteins are a different stiffness.
I don't think I'll bother pursuing a refund, they were cheap enough and to tell the truth I can't be bothered with the hassle of it!

RST wrote:I would say what most have said, they should compress by hand -but take a fair push. The other thing is, they should move relatively easily by hand but if you were to "jump" on it, it should resist. The point of a shock is that it will move all day -but if it's moved very quickly then it resists.

The other thing to look for is a very thin skim of oil on the chrome rod after it's been pushed in / out a few times. You won't see it, but noticeable on the hands afterwards.

But if it just glides in then fair enough, the internals might well be gone.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it another check to be certain before completely writing it off. I should be able to tell when comparing the other struts too.
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

no one has mentioned that they need to come back up on there own! #-o

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”