[Mk2] [NA] Will this fit?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

blue2

[Mk2] [NA] Will this fit?

Post by blue2 »

Hi just a quick question. I have a V6 conversion and my car was an NA. Im looking to change out the exhaust (back box only) and found a Fujitsubo Legalis R backbox from a turbo. Will this fit my car? Im aware that turbos and NA's have different fitments but this is just the backbox. I have the decat pipe etc.

Thanks
jasongtr

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Will this fit?

Post by jasongtr »

no in a word, can be made to fit but a turbo exhaust on an NA is going to be very loud
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

As above it can be made to fit with a small amount of fiddling

Im pretty sure its standard practise to fit either tubby or na exhausts to v6 conversions. Its certainly no where near as bad as fitting a tubby exhaust to a standard na. A lot of people use tubby exhausts on their conversions I think.

Might be worth dropping Paul Woods or peter Gidden a quick pm just to clarify.
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

i seem to remember kelvin (kayjay) put a turbo exhaust on his v6 and took it off rather quickly
kayjay0_7

Post by kayjay0_7 »

jasongtr wrote:i seem to remember kelvin (kayjay) put a turbo exhaust on his v6 and took it off rather quickly

Thanks Jason

I've run my v6 on a blitz nur spec r with a custom down pipe and Camry cat

Now got a Legalis R fitted to the same down pipe and cat
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

ah didnt realise you still ran a turbo system, very loud or really loud?
synXero

Post by synXero »

The reason people don't put turbo exhausts on NAs is because they become insanely loud.

The reason they become insanely loud is because with an NA, you lose the turbo that interrupts the exhaust system - on an NA there is nothing between your explosive chambers of goodness and your burbling backbox except resonant metal piping (which is very short compared to most cars), resonators, and silencers.

With an NA exhaust there is typically more baffling and larger single-body silencers which do a better job of quietening things down than smaller ones do — this is why very few NA exhausts have split back boxes. Of course, as well as this, it is because the piping comes in at 90° rather than straight... Anyway...

Putting a turbo exhaust on any engine that does not have a turbo interrupting the exhaust system is going to be very loud.
kayjay0_7

Post by kayjay0_7 »

jasongtr wrote:ah didnt realise you still ran a turbo system, very loud or really loud?

The Nur spec was a little loud at 70 mph so changed it before I got an ASBO

The Legalis sounds great and not too loud

John (Torero) runs one on his v6 too

:thumleft:
blue2

Post by blue2 »

Thanks guys! So is the Leglis R a turbo or NA pipe? Theres one for sale on here is all, and if it will fit mine with minor adjustments and its not too loud Ill get it. Cheers :D
Nic

Post by Nic »

blue2 wrote:Thanks guys! So is the Leglis R a turbo or NA pipe? Theres one for sale on here is all, and if it will fit mine with minor adjustments and its not too loud Ill get it. Cheers :D

Fujitsubo do versions of the Legalis R for the 3sgte and 3sge, the NA version has 60mm piping and more silencing, the turbo version has 76mmm piping and will be quite a bit louder fitted to V6.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
blue2

Post by blue2 »

Thanks guys,
Just got my car back from the garage and the pipe behind the back box are blowing like crazy and need replacing. Do any v6 owners know if these pipes are fabricated to fit, from a camry or are they stock mr2 ones? Im completely in the dark as to which part I need to order.
Thanks!
p5ycho

Post by p5ycho »

downpipe is used from the camry, and it is modified to join you choice of backbox, my car runs a blueflame turbo box modified to fit and it sounds lovely not asbo loud, but nice and deep on idle and even when u get going it is subtle..
I did for a short while fit the oem mk2 n/a back box on and fit that to the v6, it sound very quiet on idle and had a raspy note once u got going , only thing I felt with it though was the car felt a bit held back at higher rpm, u could feel the torque but the car seemed be a little strangled towards top end, fitting the blueflame cured that
blue2

Post by blue2 »

Thanks just wasnt sure which car it was from. Which blueflame have you got, off the shelf one or bespoke? Ive been looking at them as theyre main warehouse is not that far from me, price is quite high though at £500ish. Do you get the nice V6 burble with yours?
p5ycho

Post by p5ycho »

this is the exact model that I have fitted, but I got my exhaust off ebay and was considerably cheaper.,
http://www.corbymotorsport.com/toyota-m ... -6602.html

rogue motorsport do the same item for £337
http://www.roguesystems.co.uk/pages/Products.aspx?cat=8

and here is a similar exhaust on ebay but looking closely the tips arent rolled like mine..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLUEFLAME-MR2 ... 43bb229d42

with regards to sound, well mine does have the v6 burble on low revs and idle, when you get going over 4k it roars but is bareable and not the asbo loud
blue2

Post by blue2 »

Thanks that's really helpful. So is yours a mongoose or a blue flame? And did it take a lot of fettling to get it to fit?
p5ycho

Post by p5ycho »

both blueflame and mongoose exhaust are actually made by the same company, mine is the blueflame I posted in the 1st link..
fitting wise the exhaust hangers are in exactly the same place on both n/a and turbo cars so no issues there, the downpipe was modded slightly to mate with the exaust, if I remember correctly I paid either £140 or £160 to have the downpipe modded and mated to the exhaust, might sound bit expensive but it was a last minute booking and job was done while I wait..
blue2

Post by blue2 »

Thanks I didn't realise they were one and the same! Ill get the downpipe ordered today :D
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

Sorry to hijack the thread but when you say it'll need a bit of fiddling what do you mean exactly? Is it that the mounts / flanges are different or just a bigger diameter to allow more gases through?

I want a new exhaust on mine so I'll possibly end up with one off a turbo, I don't mind it being loud as when I bought a MR2 I expected it to be but have been a tad underwhelmed by the fact mine's quiet :-(

Cheers in advance

Ryan
kayjay0_7

Post by kayjay0_7 »

I've got a custom Stainless steel(Hayward and Scott) downpipe fitted to my v6 and is made to end where a standard n/a exhaust would , So in theory I can fit any n/a exhaust

ones I've tried

n/a TRD exhaust (with MR2 cat)
n/a Japspeed exhaust
Turbo Blitz Nur Spec R (with Camry cat)
Turbo Fujitsubo Legalis R (with Camry cat)(or FE decat) and custom stainless midpipe
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

Ok cheers so I'd need to go for the downpipe down then as opposed to the manifold

Also would this only be relevant to a v6 conversion?

Sorry for the noob question

Return to “Modifications”