Munters SC Restoration Thread *pic heavy*

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

munter

Re: Munters SC Restoration Thread *pic heavy*

Post by munter »

Quick update!

Had the top off for the first time this year at the weekend. Forgot that no matter how good the car is normally, on a sunny day with the roof down it's 10 times more fun. Trouble is that then makes me want to spend more £££ on it!

Have ordered up some replacement decals as most of mine are fading/peeling. Will refresh them all once this springs body work tidying is complete. I also grabbed a air intake vent and mud flaps off of eBay which I'll clean up before replacing mine which are now a bit messy.

P
BMR2L

Post by BMR2L »

munter wrote:I’m using Diamond Wheels here in Dundee for the work. They have done a great job on my father in law’s diamond cut BMW alloys and have a very good reputation. I think they are the only place in Scotland that do diamond cut refurb and are confident they can do a great job on mine.

That's interesting. I was just about to ask the forum if anyone has experience of refurbishing OEM SC wheels. Mine are pretty scuffed and with the tyres being who knows how old I thought I'd do both at once. Not a cheap job though.

Alan
donna

Post by donna »

How is the sc going?

I'm hoping to be a mk1 owner soon too, I'm up in dundee most weekends so it would be cool to meet up for pics sometime :thumleft:

Are you fed up with those wheels yet?

I still want to buy them for my Suzuki cappuccino :thumleft:
munter

Post by munter »

Hey Donna,

I'm afraid any plans for the SC have had to be put on hold for the past few months. We moved house to a new build and it's been a nightmare. Hopefully dealing with the worst of that now so might get some time to work on it in the coming weeks.

Not bored of the wheels yet ;-) sounds like you'll be looking for them for the new mk1 before too long?

Pretty busy weekends thru July but give me a shout in August - would be good to meet and I'll let you drool over the wheels!!!

Paul
munter

Post by munter »

Hello!

It's been a while and I've finally found a few hours to do some more work on the SC! She's not in bad shape really but there is a lot of small things that have been bugging me for a while so happy to make a start on them.

First up I have removed the mudflaps. They are a total state so am going to tidy them up and respray them in black with silver highlighting. That said the look of the rear of the car without flaps is really growing on me!

You'll also see I've rubbed down a few areas on the rear bumper that were cracking/flaking so hopefully I'll get this resprayed in a more crack resistant manner this time.

The biggest job is the rear arches which are beginning to rust badly in a few places. I'm patching them this summer and if they continue to rust badly through the winter I'll replace them next year. Here's the worst side:

No idea why Mr T filled the arch return with what seems like cardboard? Had to pull some really nasty soggy stuff out of that hole. No wonder they rust so badly.

A while back I accidentely unhooked the boot release cable while removing the rear light panel and have never bothered to reconnect it. I had a look last night and couldnt figure out how to reattach it for the life of me!! Anyone able to take a picture or help tell me how that cable is meant to terminate on the boot release mechanism?

cheers
MR2Kyle

Post by MR2Kyle »

^^ Same problem with my 88 na ....both arches are being done and then a full respray hopefully....just live down the road from perth too! Once we have the cars up and running we MUST have a meet! Not that there are many mk1 owners based in scotland on here...and if there is i havent come across them :-k
jimi

Post by jimi »

MR2Kyle wrote: Not that there are many mk1 owners based in scotland on here...and if there is i havent come across them :-k

:whistle:
MR2Kyle

Post by MR2Kyle »

jimi wrote:
MR2Kyle wrote: Not that there are many mk1 owners based in scotland on here...and if there is i havent come across them :-k

:whistle:

#-o
munter

Post by munter »

Started a Scottish MK1 meet up thread here:

Scottish MK1 meet up thread

If you're interested meeting up pop your name down and we'll try and get something organised soon!

cheers
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

MR2Kyle wrote:we MUST have a meet! Not that there are many mk1 owners based in scotland on here...and if there is i havent come across them :-k

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This sounds good, But we should all get together for a road trip to JAE,

I'm going

AGAIN :lol: :thumleft:

Chris
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
munter

Post by munter »

I'm getting on with the rust treatment and semi-temporary respraying!

Here's what I started out with on the drivers side rear arch. Thankfully caught it before it got too big.

The filling went fine and achieved a good smooth finish, however using grey primer was a mistake. Should have stuck with white. Will have to do the whole arch panel now... oh well!

One thing I'm wondering is how good a finish can you get with rattle cans? The primer and main coat seem to go on great but then I can never get a really high gloss finish with the lacquer. Here's the final result which isn't all that clear, but maybe you can see the bumper spray is pretty good and shiny but the panel isn't. Have no idea why this is?!??!

I've also been working on the mud guards which were in a horrible condition. Saw a pic online of a Japanese SC with black flaps and really liked the look.

Really pleased with the result, this is the refurbed ones next to the old set. Not quite as neat a finish as I'd have liked but will look fine unless you get very close up! Just have to get the passenger side rear arch tidied up and can get them on!

Finally sprayed the window trims as well. These were getting really worn with bare metal showing through. Just sprayed them insitu with satin black and they have come up really nice!

P
munter

Post by munter »

Quick update!

Did some temporary respray on both rear arches this weekend. Ended up doing the whole panel due to it being impossible to bleed between the old and new. You can see in this picture just how yellowed the old paint work has become against the new - compare door panel to the rear wing!

Quite happy with the arch repairs. This side needs a bit more TLC on the actual lip. A bit more sanding, a little filler to smooth out and then a final spray and polish. Really pleased to get the refurbed mudflaps on. Think they really set the car off great. Much better than the rust stained white they were before!

Due to the house move haven't got quite as much done this summer as hoped, but a few good little jobs and treated the worst of the rust. Going to do the front wings (total replacement) next and then get the underside professionally waxoyl'd. Fingers crossed - but looks like I might be able to get a work car for the winter which is just as well as I'm out in the country now and the snow has been very bad these past few years.

Would be nice to not have to rely on the MR2 as the daily drive. Will be good to be able to do a few jobs and take my time. I'm sure it will end up in a new list of stuff that NEEDS to be done!

Anyway she's not looking too bad ;-)

SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I think the black mudflaps work :thumleft:

I've got a spare set at home in the garage and a black rattle can :-k
coanda

Post by coanda »

Yes, they do look good. Can't think of a colour they wouldn't go with.
munter

Post by munter »

Well so much for best laid plans! The weather hasn't really got that bad this winter and so I didn't take up the new car option from work so the SC has continued to be a reliable daily driver.

Bad news is that the pretty clean look late summer has been replaced with numerous rust spots starting to appear. To be fair most of these are on the front wings which I was planning to replace this spring anyway.
More bad news is that the parts guy at Mr T has left and I've now got to smooth talk the new guy into putting the effort in to find obsure parts and give me a trade discount!

First things first, it's MOT time next week! This will mark two years of ownership and whilst I haven't had the time/cash to do everything I want to the car it's been a good balance of tidying it up and using it every day. Very happy with the performance after getting the larger SC pulley on so dont see any need to fiddle with the engine - and want to maintain the reliability.

I do want to change the exhaust to something a little more refined, replace front wings and rear arches (its just a matter of time until the rust resurfaces here), respray and get the new decals on, plus freshen up the suspension with new coilovers/bushes) so lots still to do. Got to get a good result at the MOT first though... fingers crossed.

P
munter

Post by munter »

After a bit of work I finally got through the MOT. A word of warning the CV joint boots listed on Camskill don't fit the Supercharger, neither did the ones I ordered from Rock Auto in the US! In the end the garage got a local motor factors to source them.

So with new tie rods and tie rod ends the steering rack play was sorted for the MOT so the garage decided not to bother fitting the poly rack mount bushes. I really wanted to get these on so did the job tonight. It was pretty straightforward, but I confess to being nervous doing work under the car for the first time. Triple safety measures in place with trolley jacks, axle stands and wheels placed under the car! All went well and even the bolts came off nice and easy.

Glad I did this job as the handling is tangibly more responsive now. A major difference for £25 and a couple of hours work.

I had to get the previous floor pan weld sorted out as part of the MOT so decided to get the garage to clean up the underside, put some rust inhibitor on and underseal it. Having had a good look around the sills, cross member and floor pan look in excellent shape.

Having spent more than expected and with the car still going well I'm now committed to putting new front wings on this summer, finishing up the small rust treatments and sorting the small oil leak (think it's the distributor). Would love to get a respray done but not sure I can really justify it unless I come into some money.

Also on the wish list is a less rowdy exhaust and new coil overs, or koni struts/springs along with poly bushes all round. Better buy a lottery ticket this weekend ;-)
munter

Post by munter »

Sad to say that the family need for 4 seats means that shortly I'll be looking for a new owner for this SC :-(

It's just going through its MOT and then I'll pop the two new front wings on and tidy up a few stone chips and rust spots, before giving it a good polish and putting it up for sale.

I know prices have gone up, but I'm not daft enough to think I'll get back what I've put in. I'm also willing to take less to pass it on to a fellow enthusiast as some day I hope to return to Mk1 SC ownership and maybe someone will do the same for me?!

Does £2700-3000 seem a reasonable amount?

I've seen SC's in variable condition selling for around £5k with dodgy quick resprays and similar mileage. A lot of my cars recent history is in this thread so the buyer will have a nice record to review.

Cheers
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Sorry to hear your selling up Paul, why do these cars come up after I've spent my spare wonger? Damn.
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

munter wrote:

No idea why Mr T filled the arch return with what seems like cardboard? Had to pull some really nasty soggy stuff out of that hole. No wonder they rust so badly.

In case this is still puzzling you, the cardboard's there to stop the filler getting pushed straight through and "dipping" whilst setting. Pros use gauze :)

'Car looks great BTW 8)
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I can assure you Drew, Toyota don't use filler and cardboard on the production line.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”