Irritating Oil Leak

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jaz-MR21991

Irritating Oil Leak

Post by Jaz-MR21991 »

Hey everyone,

I've had an oil leak coming from the inlet side of the engine, I recently replaced the rocker cover gasket so I dont believe its from there (I've had the rocker cover off again once as the new gasket had slipped and had to silicone it in place haha)

When i look underneath the car, oil is on the subframe and drippage from where the gearbox meets the engine. It also leaves patches on the ground when ive been parked up for a while.

Is there an oil pressure sensor on this side of the engine or anywhere it could be coming from?

Thanks alot for any help in advance!

Jasmine
seanred

Re: Irritating Oil Leak

Post by seanred »

I have to say I have the same problem and its driving me crazy, I've changed the rocker cover gasket twice but can never work out where the oil is coming from
Jaz-MR21991

Post by Jaz-MR21991 »

I am going to jack up my car tomorrow and go balls deep and have a proper look, I will let u kno how I get on, it's irritating as it goes all over my alternator and I've just literally had to take it off and strip it because its stopped charging again!!
seanred

Post by seanred »

I've just had mine stripped down as I have just done a rev3 ecu conversion and have made a cover to go over the alternator to try and protect it but look forward to hearing if you find any answers/solutions.
TRINDA1664

Post by TRINDA1664 »

I have exactly the same problem. I have changed the gasket multiple times. I am planning on doing it again but this time buy brand new seal washers too.
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

i had this when i replaced the gasket with a cheap one, replaced it with an ADL gasket then used washers under the bolts and silicone on the gasket,

my guess is that its the dizzy oil seal leaking if you have done it more than once, try tightening the bolts again now its down
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Oil on the alternator can only be coming from the cam cover gasket.

Use genuine Toyota gaskets and replace button washers. Sealant only needed in the 6 corners where the bearing caps meet the head. A blob in each corner.

Oil leak from the N/S/R corner of the head could be distributor O ring.
Jaz-MR21991

Post by Jaz-MR21991 »

seanred wrote:I've just had mine stripped down as I have just done a rev3 ecu conversion and have made a cover to go over the alternator to try and protect it but look forward to hearing if you find any answers/solutions.

I believe it was the cam cover gasket still, I retightened all the bolts which were surprisingly loose but the washers that I had got with the gasket which was replaced were awful! All the rubber had come off so they had a little gap and all needed retighteneing I will keep an eye on it now.
Bobby (aka Shaggar)

Post by Bobby (aka Shaggar) »

Have you got a rev 1? If so, the culprits are the bolts that hold the cam cover down. They literally work loose from engine vibration and never seem to properly get tight. Place with upgraded hex items. Stopped my problem instantly.

B

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”