[Mk2] [Generic] Big Brake Kit

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

james8iles

[Mk2] [Generic] Big Brake Kit

Post by james8iles »

Nic

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Big Brake Kit

Post by Nic »

If you do a search for Wilwood you'll find a lot of threads on the subject.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I'd check out the wms kit, which is simmilarly priced imho.
Torero

Post by Torero »

Race Idiot wrote:I'd check out the wms kit, which is simmilarly priced imho.
+1 :thumleft:
As Dan said, they're top quality kits and Keri who designs and manufactures them is available to talk to first hand on most of the forums.

He certainly knows his stuff as well.
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

james8iles wrote:Has anyone used this kit?

http://www.db-power.co.uk/product_info. ... cts_id=993

On the MR2 being mid engine the rear brakes do almost as much work as the front.
Never just fit bigger front brakes, you should fit a designed and tested full kit front and rear.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

bobhatton wrote:
james8iles wrote:Has anyone used this kit?

http://www.db-power.co.uk/product_info. ... cts_id=993

On the MR2 being mid engine the rear brakes do almost as much work as the front.
Never just fit bigger front brakes, you should fit a designed and tested full kit front and rear.

I knew there was someone else that agreed with me.
james8iles

Post by james8iles »

Bob/Peter,

For a road car with the occasional track day would you suggest keeping the standard calipers and getting decent pads (carbotech or similar) or going for full calipers etc?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

james8iles wrote:Bob/Peter,

For a road car with the occasional track day would you suggest keeping the standard calipers and getting decent pads (carbotech or similar) or going for full calipers etc?

Just get the best pads, we use Porterfield and standard calipers, no need for anything else.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
james8iles

Post by james8iles »

Thanks for your help.

Standard discs or do you use grooved etc?
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Carbotech pads on stock calipers are plenty enough power for most people. They do make a huge difference :thumleft:

Many people think the stock brakes are weak, however in most cases that's only due to them not being well maintained, thus causing them to stick etc. You could have the best brakes in the world but you still need to maintain them. :)
ashley

Post by ashley »

bobhatton wrote:
Just get the best pads, we use Porterfield and standard calipers, no need for anything else.

How do you find them for dust in comparison to Carbotech's Bob? I need some new pads for my turbo but not keen on wrecking my Te37's with all that Carbotech dust :-k
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Magic Beans wrote:Carbotech pads on stock calipers are plenty enough power for most people. They do make a huge difference :thumleft:

Many people think the stock brakes are weak, however in most cases that's only due to them not being well maintained, thus causing them to stick etc. You could have the best brakes in the world but you still need to maintain them. :)

i upgraded to bigger brakes because my stock ones were shot to heck and replacement units totalled up weren't that much cheaper than the BBK. At 130quid an axle for Carbotechs that's a lot of wedge for squeaks and dust albeit with massive stopping power
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

That is a good point. :)
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

ashman wrote:
bobhatton wrote:

How do you find them for dust in comparison to Carbotech's Bob? I need some new pads for my turbo but not keen on wrecking my Te37's with all that Carbotech dust :-k

I have never used Carbotech's but yes there is some dust from the Porterfield's but I have never found it a problem, never been looking at the wheels thinking they are very dirty from the brakes
james8iles

Post by james8iles »

Brake dust doesn't bother me. Also looked at mintex m1144 pads which get good reviews.

Genuine Toyota discs or some grooved and drilled ones?

Personally I would go with normal discs but will they warp with the increased heat?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

james8iles wrote:Brake dust doesn't bother me. Also looked at mintex m1144 pads which get good reviews.

Genuine Toyota discs or some grooved and drilled ones?

Personally I would go with normal discs but will they warp with the increased heat?

The only disks I have had warp are EBC, one make to keep clear of for pads as well.

Just get Toyota disks, after market ones should be ok too but never drilled ones, they will crack.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Anyone know Toyota part numbers for; front and rear discs and front and rear pads? For a Rev3 turbo? :thumleft:
No 2 :(
Nic

Post by Nic »

Magic Beans wrote:Many people think the stock brakes are weak, however in most cases that's only due to them not being well maintained, thus causing them to stick etc.

Very true :thumleft:
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Bob, i know your against bigger calipers / discs on the mr2 and i completely understand why, but i have to ask a question that you may consider 'Stupid' but please give your opinion anyway..

Here goes..

If one was to fit a 4-pot R34 skyline/300zx type caliper up front + a 1" MC, what Caliper out of the following two would 'Likely' be the best choice for a rear caliper to help restore the balance ?

A Two pot caliper or a Four pot rear caliper?

From what i remember the rev3 rear caliper is rather large as its a single pot slider thats worked as much as the stock front. Another car like this is the 911 Porsche, and this line of car uses a 4-pot front and a slightly smaller 4-pot rear as the weight is central. I would imagine a 2-pot rear from the likes of a skyline or 300zx etc would actually perform worse than the stock rear jobbie as its designed for a car that has a light rear end. Therefore, without maths, i would guess that a Porsche 4-pot rear caliper (off say a boxter) would be better matched on the rear of an mr2 when used in conjunction with a 4-pot front, would you agree?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

RyanRs wrote:Bob, i know your against bigger calipers / discs on the mr2 and i completely understand why, but i have to ask a question that you may consider 'Stupid' but please give your opinion anyway..

Here goes..

If one was to fit a 4-pot R34 skyline/300zx type caliper up front + a 1" MC, what Caliper out of the following two would 'Likely' be the best choice for a rear caliper to help restore the balance ?

A Two pot caliper or a Four pot rear caliper?

From what i remember the rev3 rear caliper is rather large as its a single pot slider thats worked as much as the stock front. Another car like this is the 911 Porsche, and this line of car uses a 4-pot front and a slightly smaller 4-pot rear as the weight is central. I would imagine a 2-pot rear from the likes of a skyline or 300zx etc would actually perform worse than the stock rear jobbie as its designed for a car that has a light rear end. Therefore, without maths, i would guess that a Porsche 4-pot rear caliper (off say a boxter) would be better matched on the rear of an mr2 when used in conjunction with a 4-pot front, would you agree?

Yes that sounds a good thing to try

Return to “Modifications”