Rear tie rod bush/bearing uprade

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

l300mrt

Rear tie rod bush/bearing uprade

Post by l300mrt »

i have found that both of the rear tie rod bush/bearing that are pressed into the hub are gone (making a knocking) so started to look for replacements , but they are discontinued .

Did find other places that sell replacements tho but at over 80 quid .

I was looking in my jap mr2 book and found the phoenix power parts , i saw that they had made a upgrade for the rear tie rods with the upgrade bush/bearing .

So got me thinking why not get some made , so i found my spear rear hub and push out the old bush/bearing and last week went to my favorite engineering shop . So this Wednesday i should be getting them and hope to fit them on Saturday

By the way i have on the car the Phoenix Power lower arms all round

sorry only found the pic's of the front arm's will add some more pic's next weekend with the new bush/bearings
4ndee

Re: Rear tie rod bush/bearing uprade

Post by 4ndee »

thats awsome keep me informed :thumleft:
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

I've been selling replacement OEM rear tie bar spherical bearings for about 2 years. Nowhere near £80.

Last edited by Peter Gidden on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 6 times in total.
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

:O pete pm me i need some my rear arms are shot
l300mrt

Post by l300mrt »

did not know that but i would rather solid metal
l300mrt

Post by l300mrt »

4ndee wrote::O pete pm me i need some my rear arms are shot

does your car make a noise going over bumps ?
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

l300mrt wrote:i would rather solid metal

Errrrr, solid metal bearings are not going to work very well. :?

Spherical bearings consist of a ball and socket, with a liner of some sort. And some, like the one in my picture, have rubber boots on each end for weatherproofing.
l300mrt

Post by l300mrt »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:

Spherical bearings consist of a ball and socket, with a liner of some sort. And some, like the one in my picture, have rubber boots on each end for weatherproofing.

Tell me why cos i can't see why they would not work when phoenix power seem to find them very good on their show car plus it's probably the best handling mr2 i know of
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

l300mrt wrote:

Tell me why cos i can't see why they would not work when phoenix power seem to find them very good on their show car plus it's probably the best handling mr2 i know of

PP use spherical bearings. I can see them in your photo. I also have them in ny workshop.
l300mrt

Post by l300mrt »

PP use spherical bearings. I can see them in your photo. I also have them in ny workshop.[/quote]

They are rose joints and PP use an uprated tie rod with rose joint end with solid metal to replace the bearing ,
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

l300mrt wrote:They are rose joints and PP use an uprated tie rod with rose joint end with solid metal to replace the bearing ,

A rose joint is a generic name for a spherical bearing ](*,) Named after Rose Corp., one of the largest manufacturers of spherical bearings.

I've yet to see a spherical bearing which isn't made of metal.

Good Grief....
l300mrt

Post by l300mrt »

ok just realised :oops:

so why is it better than solid metal ? still did not answer the question
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

l300mrt wrote:ok just realised :oops:

so why is it better than solid metal ? still did not answer the question

All suspension joints need to move. Sometimes in one plane, sometimes in several planes at once, i.e. an arc.

Rubber is cheap. It is long lasting, flexible, but ages.

Poly bushes are firmer, flexible, and cheap to manufacture.

Spherical bearings are close tolerance joints, allowing smooth movement about their own axis, i.e. in more than one plane. Their weakness is dislike of anything other than smooth surfaces, i.e. race tracks. That's why you'll rarely find them on road cars, even modifed cars.

And branded, European motoersport-spec joints are £60-£80 each. Obviously Chinese xxxx copy joints are a lot cheaper.

Solid metal would not allow any movement. No one would EVER use a solid metal joint in any part of the suspension system.
l300mrt

Post by l300mrt »

But if the rear tie rod was modified with rose joints both end then that would solve the problem with having replaced the bearings with metal ones would it not ?
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

l300mrt wrote:But if the rear tie rod was modified with rose joints both end then that would solve the problem with having replaced the bearings with metal ones would it not ?

The original OEM tie rods were fitted with metal spherical bearings in the factory. ALL MR2s have metal spherical bearings at each end of both tie rods.
MrLuke

Post by MrLuke »

Lol

A rose joint is a spherical bearing :lol:

A solid metal joint is a bearing, looks like the sbits ones just have protective boots on the end to keep the crap out of the bearings :)
wez

Post by wez »

l300mrt wrote:But if the rear tie rod was modified with rose joints both end then that would solve the problem with having replaced the bearings with metal ones would it not ?

The original OEM tie rods were fitted with metal spherical bearings in the factory. ALL MR2s have metal spherical bearings at each end of both tie rods.

i think your fighting a losing battle peter, but you are 100% correct i too have never seen a solid metal bearing (that works) lol
l300mrt

Post by l300mrt »

obviously know one has seen the phoenix power rear tie rod's

The mr2 tie rod's have a bearing on one end and not on the other but do connect to the bearing on the hub .

So if i was to make a tie rod with rose joint's each end and connect it to the hub with a solid metal bearing instead of the original that should be the same ?
l300mrt

Post by l300mrt »

wrong the tie rod's only have one bearing on one end , not both ends lol
ashley

Post by ashley »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quality thread- keep it up boys :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”