Turbo differences

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tsia

Turbo differences

Post by Tsia »

Just a quick one really. I see people fitting GT3076/3071/etc turbos to their cars and just wondered about the differences. I'm not sure if they're a big, slow spooling turbo or a small, fast spooling etc? This isn't just about the two I named, but a few of the other 'common' turbos aswell.
:-k
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: Turbo differences

Post by Peter Gidden »

Spend some time working through Garrett's TurboTech. It's very informative.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobyga ... tech_basic

Then look at Garrett's numbering system:

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobyga ... menclature
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

I thought my 3071 spools faster than stock...it seems to have more torque available at all rpm's than the stock turbo from what I have seen when looking at others dyno graphs.
dazzz wrote:I'm no expert but
StevieL

Post by StevieL »

My GT2860RS spools silly fast! Not very top end powerful but great for quick acceleration and apparently good for about 360fwhp?
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

+1

my gt28rs (ko racing kit) spools very fast with the blitz boost controller gain set properly now - still bored of the mr2 already though
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:Spend some time working through Garrett's TurboTech. It's very informative.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobyga ... tech_basic

Then look at Garrett's numbering system:

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobyga ... menclature

I'll take a read, thanks!

Might I ask though, how a turbo can put out the same pressure, yet give more power than a stock turbo?
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

More efficient, larger intake, faster spool up with different exhaust side setup, intake side setup, amount of fins, smoother running etc etc

Plus usually they run external wastegates which I find hold the boost alot more steady than internal... My CT26 would overboost from 0.95 bar up to 1.3+ bar reducing performance due hot air. Fitted a Greddy TD05 with Tial wastegate and I could hold boost solid at any level.

Thats what Im going with anyway :)
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

The key difference is the amount of air they can shift at a given pressure, compared to a smaller turbo. The larger the turbo the higher the amount of air it can feed the engine. More air plus more fuel equals more power.

Plus there's better efficiency etc
Last edited by Magic Beans on Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

Tsia wrote:

Might I ask though, how a turbo can put out the same pressure, yet give more power than a stock turbo?

Different amount of flow...same pressure.
dazzz wrote:I'm no expert but
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Tsia wrote:Just a quick one really. I see people fitting GT3076/3071/etc turbos to their cars and just wondered about the differences. I'm not sure if they're a big, slow spooling turbo or a small, fast spooling etc? This isn't just about the two I named, but a few of the other 'common' turbos aswell.
:-k

Pressure, lets say 1 bar boost is only half of the information that is needed to tell you the total weigh of air being delivered to the engine. What is missing is the temperature of that air.
So just saying I run 1 bar of boost gives no information of how much power that will give because if the air is hot it will have less weigh and will make less power than a more efficient turbo that does not heat the air so much.

You need to look and the compressor maps to find the most efficient comp wheel to work with your engine design
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
kingsley

Post by kingsley »

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but it seemed better than starting a near duplicate.

Those of you with GT2860 turbos, how early do they actually spool compared to a stock rev 3's turbo?

My rev 3 with stock turbo gives me positive boost from just over 1000rpm and ramps up nice and smoothly and by 3000rpm I'm getting about 1 bar. I love the progressive way it spools, makes it very useable on the road.

I'm also wondering whether the GTX2863R would be a good option.

Ideally I'd like something that spools exactly like the stock turbo but has a bit more max power potential. I don't really want something that spools much earlier, but I wouldn't want it to spool much later either, as I find the stock turbo's spool just right. Surely that must be possible with a modern ball bearing turbo.

I may have to change my turbo soon so it would be good to know the options.

Cheers,
Kingsley.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”