need help with closest thing to stock suspension

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tomsky

need help with closest thing to stock suspension

Post by tomsky »

Hi I am looking to replace my tired suspension this year I have replaced the stock fronts with some kybs after an MOT failure, frankly hate the ride now and would like to get rid of them. Id like to go back as close to standard without going the koni route if poss. Can anyone recommend some thing close to stock thats still available I was thinking maybe sach shocks as they are meant to be close to OEM replacements. Are stock springs still available from MrT?

Thanks for any help
pk_090

Re: need help with closest thing to stock suspension

Post by pk_090 »

Are the kyb's too hard?
Alex
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
tomsky

Post by tomsky »

as soon as the front stock shocks were swapped for the kybs ride was noticably harder/crashy and bouncy. Think they are generally known for being harsh on road but really dont like them. I live in a bad area for roads and potholes so ideally like to keep the ride quality as it was. If there are no options will go the Koni route as cost isnt the main issue but presume they will also be harder than stock?
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

The KYB's are quite hard, i would go the Koni route then you'll be able to set them how you like. I run mine around half way on the settings so the cars really neutral and doesnt dip and dive under braking.
chrismanchr

Post by chrismanchr »

un1eash wrote:The KYB's are quite hard, i would go the Koni route then you'll be able to set them how you like. I run mine around half way on the settings so the cars really neutral and doesnt dip and dive under braking.

the kyb experience i had was that the dampers were good but the springs were too highly sprung and this made the ride height look like a range rover and as hard as nails

I'm with you mate I loved the stock suspension but mine had had its day at 26years old ,very bounchy ,and when i changed and took the old inserts out it was obvious the old oil had seriously gone off as it stunk awfull ,I dont like lowered cars ,the original ride height was fine for me
tomsky

Post by tomsky »

thanks all, yeh just seems a shame there doesnt seem to be any options to just keep the car as standard as dont want to lower the car either just would like to replace the parts that are worn out with a suitable replacement. Take it there are no sources to get original suspension parts now or springs that wont lower the ride height?
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/ list front and rear springs. I would also try the usuall places like parkers as they may list standard springs.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Where are you located Tomsky ?

Would be useful if you complete more of your profile

Have you enquired at your local Mr T dealer about availability of stock springs ?

If they are still obtainable the price will be horribly high of course

If you can get stock springs I would try them with the KYBs before ditching those
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

Price of koni's and lowering springs isnt too far off getting a full BC coilover system. Ive been tempted by coilovers but really cant afford it, not matter how much of an improvement i know it would make!

Ben

Post by Ben »

I thought you could still get stock shocks and springs from Toyota?
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

Rear shocks are discontinued as far as i know.

LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

I would suggest putting a set of Whiteline springs on with the KYBs as they worked well for me but it looks like they've been discontinued. :-(

As ben said I'd try some stock springs if you can get them.
EppingMk1SC

Post by EppingMk1SC »

benedwards64 wrote:I thought you could still get stock shocks and springs from Toyota?

Hi Ben,

When I was returning my Blue SC to stock suspension set up, it took weeks to source a full set of Toyota shocks and springs, and not sure if hypocraphal or not but when I had tracked them down I was told they were the last ones left anywhere by the garage...

So seems legit :lol:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”