Mk1b aftermarket steering wheel and boss?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Finn

Mk1b aftermarket steering wheel and boss?

Post by Finn »

After doing some searching and reading I just need to get a confirmation f I have understood it correctly:

If I buy a steering boss like the HKB below (OT-42?) and choose a non-dished aftermarket steering wheel will this new package put the wheel in same location as the original steering wheel?

pk_090

Re: Mk1b aftermarket steering wheel and boss?

Post by pk_090 »

It should do yes. I have a dished wheel, snap off boss, and also the boss which fits onto the steering column. Only problem with this is it does position the steering wheel quite close to the driver.
Alex
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
Finn

Post by Finn »

Er...sorry for these newbie questions but will that HKB boss fit "inside" the original column-plastic-thingy-next-part-down-after-steering-wheel or will that require some other part than the HKB? And if so what brand/model would that be?
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

Let me see if ive got a photograph of mine. Dont think mine is HKB,. Its one i bought off Toni this time last year, and can't remember the brand.
Alex
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
stenky

Post by stenky »

i have HKB standard boss, Works Bell short boss, dished nardi wheel and some OEM steering wheels, so just tell me if you need measuring something :) nardi and WB boss are currently on my car so i can easily compare OEM wheel with HKB height
Finn

Post by Finn »

Cheers Stenky. :salut:

As the HKB appears to be readily available I think I would like to know what the height of the HKB boss is compared to original?

Also, how is the HKB diameter? Is it supposed to be used with the original plastic column ie. does it fit inside it?

Much appreciate if you have time to check this at some point.
stenky

Post by stenky »

I'll have a look tomorrow ;-)
Finn

Post by Finn »

Outstanding. :thumright:
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Finn wrote:Also, how is the HKB diameter? Is it supposed to be used with the original plastic column ie. does it fit inside it?

No, an aftermarket boss will sit between the standard steering column/shroud and the steering wheel. Due to the depth of the standard wheel, a relatively flat aftermarket wheel will still end up with the rim in about the same place though. That looks like a particularly short boss too, I've seen much longer ones.
stenky

Post by stenky »

standard wheel height is 15.5cm, HKB OT-42 hub is exactly 10cm high so with a totally flat wheel, your steering will be approximately 4cm further away...
the sleeve on the HKB however is adjustable and can be moved back and forth as you desire :) see pics

elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Do the horn and the indicator cancelling work correctly with the HKB boss Stenky ?

I was sold a boss which did not provide either of those functions

Returned it & have been refunded now :)

Also, is the HKB made of strong metal which does not crack around the steering column when fitted ?

I have D-shape aftermarket wheel with an almost flat fitting

Not sure whether to get a MOMO boss

Peter
stenky

Post by stenky »

I cannot tell whether the HKB works well because I haven't fitted that yet, but it should work. At least it looks like the cancellation will work well. I have fitted the Works Bell overpriced one first and torqued it down, so I can't get it off the steering shaft now :D so no comparison yet. I have almost cracked the cast hub shell using a jaw puller.

As soon as this white chilly thing stops falling from above, and I succeed taking the WB off, I will compare them thoroughly :) I don't fancy driving my two in salt and snow :)

What I can tell is, that the HKB is a good value. Works bell cost me almost twice as much (ordered from australia, delivered from japan, import tax + import duties...) and is only about 3.5cm shorter. But I am going to fit NRG quick release so those 3.5cm surely will matter :) WB+NRG +Dish will probably be the perfect match. Close enough to the dashboard to reach the indicator lever, still comfortably close to the driver. Probably the closest position to the driver without compromising the indicator stuff :)
Finn

Post by Finn »

stenky wrote:...I don't fancy driving my two in salt and snow...

You are missing a lot of fun. :D

Thanks for getting me/us the measurements. Need to go to a store now to see them steering wheels. I'll probably be the guy in the shop corner in a raincoat stroking the suede and whispering: "Oh yes, daddy's taking you for a spin or two..." :oops:
stenky

Post by stenky »

Had to climb a slight slopy road to my garage, wearing old summer rubbers in fresh snow today. Almost got brown pants and my ass is still sweating. If they didn't salt the roads like crazy here and I wouldn't be so suspicious about getting some rust, I would get some winter tyres eventually. But I am keeping my MR2 in warm garage during winter, saving it for better weather :) Celica has to bear the all year beating in snow and rain :twisted:
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Not heard of anyone using the HKB boss before. There are known issues with some other ebay boss's as the indicator cancel doesnt work and indicator stork clearance (i guess this depends on the wheel though)

I was using a momo boss and OMP 320mm superquadro D shape wheel but found it to small so its sitting in my garage now.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

un1eash wrote:Not heard of anyone using the HKB boss before. There are known issues with some other ebay boss's as the indicator cancel doesnt work and indicator stork clearance (i guess this depends on the wheel though)

I was using a momo boss and OMP 320mm superquadro D shape wheel but found it to small so its sitting in my garage now.

Yes, I tend to think that the Momo boss is the safest bet Un1eash

Having had a spurious hub from Paul Sims which didn't cancel the indicators nor allow the horn to function, I'm very wary now

I have a D-shape wheel which I'm happy with

Do you want to sell the Momo hub ?
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

It was up for sale ages ago but was misplaced in the house move but found it again in my parents garage, a little dusty but in perfect condition...

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=135849
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

I'd be happy to take the hub off your hands Chris
brawr

Post by brawr »

I bought one of the generic ebay ones, quality really wasn't bad and it was very very easy to modify it to get indicators and horn working. I think they're just designed for later toyotas with slightly different self-cancel pins rather than being woefully badly made or anything.

Just fitted a 25mm spacer to bring my almost flat Abarth wheel a touch closer and now it's perfect.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

brawr wrote:I bought one of the generic ebay ones, quality really wasn't bad and it was very very easy to modify it to get indicators and horn working. I think they're just designed for later toyotas with slightly different self-cancel pins rather than being woefully badly made or anything.

Just fitted a 25mm spacer to bring my almost flat Abarth wheel a touch closer and now it's perfect.

The one I returned was made of nasty soft metal which cracked around the steering column when I torqued it down

Not safe IMO, as well as the indicator /horn problems

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”