[Mk2] [NA] Mods

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mr2spud

[Mk2] [NA] Mods

Post by Mr2spud »

Hey guys, so new to mr2s and don't have much of a budget ATM so want ideas for best cheapest mods to start like maybe tyre pressures at a certain psi for better something etc? Cheers guys help would be great.
Nic

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Mods

Post by Nic »

Do you know the service history of the car?

Before any mods i would start with a thorough check over and service; brakes, fluids, plugs, HT leads, distributor cap, rotor arm, suspension check, filters, O2 sensor, tyres, etc. I'd basically make sure everything is in good working order.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Loque

Post by Loque »

Nic wrote:Do you know the service history of the car?

Before any mods i would start with a thorough check over and service; brakes, fluids, plugs, HT leads, distributor cap, rotor arm, suspension check, filters, O2 sensor, tyres, etc. I'd basically make sure everything is in good working order.

This.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Tyre pressures aren't really a mod.. :lol:

To get the most from an N/A engine without spending a fortune there are only a few things worth doing:

Strip the car out and save some weight!
Aftermarket exhaust (often de-cat)
Aftermarket induction/air filters (although there is much discussion over the potential for any benefit over stock airbox)
Basic maintenance in order to get the engine running smoothly - spark plugs, oil and filter, fresh air filter

Many owners focus on upgrading the handling over chasing minimal power gains - so you have several choices here : turbo billies, aftermarket shocks and springs or a set of coilovers. If you're willing to go further then look into thicker ARBs and strut braces too, as well as new droplinks to suit lowered suspension!

The general consensus seems to be that 16" wheels are best for MR2 N/A - staggered widths and decent tyres! 17's are also an option, although 18's are considered too large by most owners.

Stock seats are actually quite supportive and comfortable, but there are thousands of bucket seats and more supportive designs available if that is what you want :)

OEM short shifter makes a nice difference to the feel of the gear change, and should be available for just under £25 on ebay.

Don't forget brakes! New EBC pads at the very least.. ;)

Anyway hope this is the sort of information you're after! :thumleft:
Loque

Post by Loque »

Mr.Two wrote:Tyre pressures aren't really a mod.. :lol:

Can make a shocking difference to how the car handles mind.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Very true! In fact I'd go as far as saying that wheels and tyres are probably the best place to start!
synXero

Post by synXero »

I enjoy the mr2 most with great tyres set up carefully. 215/40/17s on the front, stickiest you can afford. 29psi. 245/40/17s on the rear, less sticky, but the width grants you a good and more progressive loss of grip. 32psi.

With this I find I can control the tail of the car a bit more and I xxxx myself much less when it goes. I run Bridgestone up front and Michelin behind. Do not buy xxxx tyres. You will wreck the car.

Otherwise, on the NA, you can make up quad throttle bodies and such but you're into 3k spends. You need aftermarket ECUs and a lot of fabrication and rare, rare parts. It isn't worthwhile. Get a BEAMS!

As mentioned do suspension mods and get an exhaust if that's your thing. On the NA you're not really going to get it to go faster in a straight line, but you can massively improve the grip, feeling and braking etc etc.
Mr2spud

Post by Mr2spud »

Cheers guys given me a start to work for thanks again
Loque

Post by Loque »

synXero wrote:
Do not buy xxxx tyres. You will wreck the car.

This. I had crap tyres on mine when I bought it, and spent the first year of ownership trying to drive round them and find out what everyone was banging on about with these cars.

If you're not hell bent on changing the looks of the car I find the stock 15s to be just great for handling - unless you're changing the rest of the suspension set up you have to consider that the car was designed to have this size of wheel. Tyres' are difficult to find in stock sizes though, so I roll 205/50/15 at the back, and 195/55/15 on the front. Yokohama AD08s are the best tyres money can buy.

I run 27psi on the front and 32 on the back. I find the lower the PSI on the front the better handling feedback you have, and the heavier the steering is. I can't say I've experimented too much on the back.

For my money, tyres are the one thing that will vastly improve the driving experience unless they have been already sorted.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Hello MR2spud and welcome to ownership and the site.
As has been said once you've checked to ensure that all is well and working properly with the standard stuff there are only a few mods that will actually make a performance difference (though lots that will look nice or just make you smile).
Seeing as you're starting with the same car as mine (rev1 n/a) I can tell you the only things to bother with performance wise are tyres, suspension and brakes. You can get rev2 + brakes here in the for sale section for probably £200 all in, calipers and disks. I'd add braided lines and that'll be the biggest performance difference you can make. Regarding suspension stay on 14's or maybe 15's (you'll have to be on 15s as a minimum if you upgrade to the later larger brakes as suggested) and before you play with new springs and dampers etc go for thicker ARBs. That way it'll corner flatter but won't become tiresome over our poor UK road surfaces. Lower profile tyres on larger diameter wheels combined with stiffer springs is not the way to go unless it's just looks you're after.. and a bone crushing ride.
If and when you do alter suspension components don't forget to refresh what bushes you can whilst doing so. Makes it all feel so much tighter.
Good luck and have fun.

R.

Return to “Modifications”