Air filter/Induction kit

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ethan21

Air filter/Induction kit

Post by Ethan21 »

Can anyone recomend me an intake and where to buy from? (Not worried about sound) I have looked but all ive really found is the blitz sus and i dont really wanna fork out £200 on just an air filter

Atm the moment i have the standard airbox on a rev 3 turbo. Ive heard there fairy restrictive but is this true? Should i even bother changing?
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: Air filter/Induction kit

Post by Peter Gidden »

Stock airbox has been proven by ATS Racing to be good to 300bhp.

As with most things you get what you pay for. Buy cheap, buy twice.

You can get a K&N filter for your stock airbox for about £40.
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Ethan21 wrote:Can anyone recomend me an intake and where to buy from? (Not worried about sound) I have looked but all ive really found is the blitz sus and i dont really wanna fork out £200 on just an air filter

Atm the moment i have the standard airbox on a rev 3 turbo. Ive heard there fairy restrictive but is this true? Should i even bother changing?

I think the only thing you gain is the induction noise, really. I've got a HKS Mushroom on mine and only, and I'd like it noted ONLY because it came with it and my cash is better spent elsewhere. Once I've got free money once again, I'll change it to something that filters the air better than your average badger.
Rory

Post by Rory »

Ive got a blitz panel filter on my standard air box. Not really sure if it makes any difference to performance or not though. Had an Apexi intake before and loved the sound of it but I prefer the look of the engine bay with the stock air intake system in place
synXero

Post by synXero »

Lovely carbon racing one for sale from me just now :lol:

I think induction kits are mostly engine bling and lovely noises, in terms of performance, there hasn't been much proof.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

I was gonna say synXero - saw yours for sale yesterday and was tempted! Already got Apexi power though, can't keep spending :wink:
craig

Post by craig »

A while ago, I changed my Apexi induction kit for a panel filter and air box.

Really missed the induction noise, so swapped it out for a new KO Racing induction kit. Lot better 8)
shinny

Post by shinny »

Well, I don't know if you own an NA or a tubby.

On an NA, inductions kits are for that awesome induction roar and not much else. On a turbo car it's not so much about noise (vacuum cleaner sucking sounds) but may well help with spooling up the turbo (end hence torque curve) even if it doesn't have much effect on the top-end power. I certainly noticed that restricting my air filter helped reduce my boost creep issues before I sorted it once and for all by adding an external wastegate, so it's clear there is some form of gain to be had there. (Just because you can get 300bhp with the stock air box doesn't mean it's not causing some form of restriction that you'd be better off without)

At the end of the day I wouldn't sweat it too much. A £200 kit may well give you nothing other than ease of installation over something you knock together yourself for £60. But regardless of which engine you have, my personal opinion based upon various group tests is to stay away from foam filters on a road car.
synXero

Post by synXero »

Mr.Two wrote:I was gonna say synXero - saw yours for sale yesterday and was tempted! Already got Apexi power though, can't keep spending :wink:

Wellll... You could y'know... All boxed up and ready to go :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Foam air filters get a lot of negative press. Why so bad? Oiled air filters do, too. Supposedly they're only of any value if you do high mileage - true?
Loque

Post by Loque »

I think the oil from the filters is meant to go through the intake and damage the MAF [if you have one]

I love my Apex'i like a fat kid loves cake.
Barnz

Post by Barnz »

Loque wrote:
I love my Apex'i like a fat kid loves cake.

Brilliant..... I love my K&N 57i kit which gives an awesome sound, but even better if you keep the air box restrictor - sounds more rorty but probably didn't do me any favours with restrictions. I've found torque is a little less with 57i but maybe I'm dreaming that..... I don't drive it much these days.
shinny

Post by shinny »

synXero wrote:Foam air filters get a lot of negative press. Why so bad?

Poor filtration, basically - fine for race cars, go karts and lawnmowers, but for a road car where you care about your engine wear and don't want to rebuild engines all the time you want better filtration than that.

Here's a pretty interesting group test showing the foam is bad and brand names mean nowt: http://australianauto.com.au/html/downl ... %20Out.pdf
Ethan21

Post by Ethan21 »

Thanks for all your replys guys sounds like ill leave it for now, as id rather spend my money elsewhere on the car atm if its not overly important.

But when i can ill probably got for the blitz or does anyone know i could buy a genuine new apexi kit from ?
Loque

Post by Loque »

Not eBay.
Kinsy

Post by Kinsy »

I ordered one from Nengun on the 10th. Cost me £57 with shipping. Only just been shipped today. Still at least it will be genuine!
Timmo

Post by Timmo »

I can't give any advice on induction kits, but I have a K&N panel filter in the airbox of my rev 3 N/A and it makes......Literally no difference at all!
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

Mine came with a HKS mushroom flyer also. It was black with crap. Replaced, but keep debating sourcing a stock air box to replace. Presumably the improved filtration would mean a marginal drop in bhp?
Rev 2 Turbo (Testing my patience)

Golf GTI MK5 (Competent but dull)
dylan5084

Post by dylan5084 »

Interesting reading that test on induction kits, where do I get a 3A racing filter? As I have a hks mushroom and it failed miserably in the filteration test and didn't do too well in the flow test [-(
shinny

Post by shinny »

dylan5084 wrote:Interesting reading that test on induction kits, where do I get a 3A racing filter?

In this country, you don't. There are two things I'd take from that test:
1) Foam filters stink
2) Brand names do not necessarily indicate a good filter

The test does not cover overall build quality, which may be where brand names recover somewhat. However having read that article, I'd rather have a cheap paper or cotton filter and swap it as a service item than to spend 5 times the money on a brand name filter that probably has not additional performance benefit.
sidewaysmk2tubby

Post by sidewaysmk2tubby »

I chose the blitz sus power intake, cost a bit but seen them second hand priced reasonably

Sounds good, easy to give a clean occassionally but low maintenance. Also it looks great and hopefully flows easily according to reviews.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”