Project MRX350

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

PW@Woodsport

Re: Project MRX350

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I happen to think Toyota got the styling spot on with the rear wing, possibly Plumley'd at a push can look really good. I have experimented with many rear wing designs over the years and nothing seems to work as well with the rest of the car than the standard one, it's each to their own of course.
coanda

Post by coanda »

I was more interested in the source of the parts.

I have seen a post stating that the wing came as an option on late cars, and just wondered if you had seen it on any other car?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

No it's definately not a Toyota option, they only ever came with the wing we know or none at all on the early clippers.

Thw wing looks like one on one of my customers cars from about 8 years ago...

He thinks it came from an MR-S kit of some sort.
coanda

Post by coanda »

Ahh, thank you very much - yep, they do look similar. Now I know its not Toyota or well known I'll put it out of my mind!
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Eurgh, you're right. It looks awful from behind.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Am thinking of experimentally removing the wing from mine

To see if it makes any noticable difference without it

(& save weight :) )
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

The rear wing is pretty much just cosmetic. It doesn't weigh much either.

It certainly does not provide any downfarce.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
coanda

Post by coanda »

No downforce, but is supposedly helpful in crosswind / yawing conditions.
kherseth

Post by kherseth »

Agree that the original spoiler looks best on the mk1 IMO.

There is some aerodynamic analysis done on the effects of the spoiler, seems like there is a theoretical downforce(like <0.5kg), and a theoretically reduced drag, again so little that it as no practical meaning and might just be rounding errors in computation. Should be able to google it and find the results.
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

I read moving the standard spoiler back 6 inches gives an increase in downforce, obviously the risers are left haning over the bootlid though!
Alex
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Yeah a chap on the mk1 club with his 3.0 supercharged camry conversion pushed his back. Looked better than standard as well.
jumpman33

Post by jumpman33 »

I freaking love these wheels!!
Loving the look of you MR2 so far, how much would it cost roughly if i wanted you to do wide arches and a buddyclub front lip on mine??
cabbydave1

Post by cabbydave1 »

I thought the rear wing dragged the air out of the vents faster. You obviously cannot believe everything you hear
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

cabbydave1 wrote:I thought the rear wing dragged the air out of the vents faster. You obviously cannot believe everything you hear

I think the rear wing looks nice. Maybe that's why they fitted it? ;)
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

ive just found this.
Can i have a job Paul, PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE. :mrgreen:
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Lauren wrote:
cabbydave1 wrote:I thought the rear wing dragged the air out of the vents faster. You obviously cannot believe everything you hear

I think the rear wing looks nice. Maybe that's why they fitted it? ;)

Yes, it suits the car very well

My wing is off at the mo

Car still looks OK IMO

Time will tell if I shall replace it
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

pk_090 wrote:ive just found this.
Can i have a job Paul, PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE. :mrgreen:

Ok, but only if you say please. :D

A quick update on the project, it's stalled somewhat due to the horrendously wet summer we just had, i was relying on the odd weekend being nice enough to work outside.

It meant i didn't get anywhere near as much done as i would have liked, the cars bodywork is completed but it needs painting, so i'm clearing my spray booth out (currently has a big nasty V8 mk1 taking up space in it) so that i can finish the cars bodywork off.

Then i will be installing the VVti V6 immediately after that, which won't take longer than a few weeks once i've started. I've now got all winter to complete it and the new target is Spring 2013.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Time to update this one, this year is all about finishing my projects off, and i'm pleased to say this car will be getting a fresh respray sometime in the next 2-3 weeks, the arches are currently being finished off and most of the car has been flatted back ready for paint.

On that note there is now considerably less of the car to paint now, i have managed to get my hands on some uber rare stuff, continuing the theme of building what i consider to be the ultimate Mk1 with all of the trick JDM/rare aftermarket parts from all over the world.

To recap, so far i've bought retract JDM foglights, mirror'd T tops, Fishnet Recaro seats, 9" Borbet A's all round, Brembo calipers, built a V6 VVti engine for it, Mk2 gearbox with LSD and extended 5th, bought Phils stainless AAS exhaust system for it, LED rear spoiler, JDM rear lights, modified the front sidelight apertures, Woodsport wide arches, Woodsport BC rep front lip, Full KW coilover kit (version 2) and built a one off digital display to convert the analogue needles to digits. So this really is my dream Mk1 with no expense spared.

Today the trophy parts continued, i managed to pick these beauties up from Chris (many thanks for all your help mate), a Mk1 carbon bonnet, carbon headlight covers and a carbon engine lid... the engine lid in particular appears to be the only one of its kind worldwide, well we've never seen one anywhere!

Jaw dropping bits, cost me a small fortune mind you, but these are really going to set this car off...

I now fancy transfering the V8 carbon spoiler over to this car now, i think it would suit it so much better...

Pics coming of the car in paint soon, then the engine install begins.
The Silver Fox

Post by The Silver Fox »

Love the two lump hammers Paul! Very technical.[/img]
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

The only tools i own.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”