amount of mr2 left

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

burtosa

amount of mr2 left

Post by burtosa »

hi all
saw a article yesterday saying only 26000 mr2 left on road - and 4000 on srn does anyone know if this can be correct ?
would explain shortage of good vehicles
thought someone on here may now
thanks in anticipation
Johnr32

Re: amount of mr2 left

Post by Johnr32 »

26000? seems a bit excessive! Im certain theres a lot less than that.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Well according to how many left there's only between 6-10k of the mark 2 left and how many of those are still working I wouldn't like to guess at as numbers seem to be dwindling very quickly!!

http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=&#10 ... Toyota+mr2
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

with so many being bought to break now as well.....
Johnr32

Post by Johnr32 »

Not to mention a lot of those mr2s out there are in poor condition and very rough! Well looked after ones are becoming more rare..
planted1

Post by planted1 »

Theres between 10 and 20 being broken on ebay every week,
even if some are relisted,and some have ad's lasting longer than a week,
thats a lot of mr2's every year.
Today for instance i stopped counting at 30.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

In one vein its a bit upsetting and in another its nice to know that our cars are getting rarer.

Its ashame I dont have any spare cash as now would be a perfect time to buy up 5 or 6 half decent cheap ones and just throw them in storage for 5 years. I dont think that the mr2 market and drop much more...

If I were to have a stab at actual figures id say theres probably 500-800 in a very nice condition and around 4k in usable condition. As the figures are old I would think that the rest have died, been laid up or are being stripped. I mean it doesnt make sense to replace a blown engine when you can pick up a whole mr2 in working condition for circa £500! I guess thats why so many are getting scrapped.

It will go full circle - so many will have been destroyed that prices will rise steeply I think...
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=%E2% ... toyota+mr2

should be a lot less after this winter is over :-)
Loque

Post by Loque »

KarlBristol wrote:Its ashame I dont have any spare cash as now would be a perfect time to buy up 5 or 6 half decent cheap ones and just throw them in storage for 5 years. I dont think that the mr2 market and drop much more...

I see your point, but I don't actually think they will end up ever skyrocketing in value. It's probably only worth bothering with the turbos too; as much as I'd like to think mine would appreciate, the market for N/As just won't be there.
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Look at all the Ford RS Turbos, Renault 5 GT Turbos and even Vauxhall Novas are starting to fetch wedge. All suddenly rotted/got nicked and written off/scrapped.. Now if you want one you`re looking at 3 grand for something that needs work, upto 7k for a minter (at least the RS and the Renault 5). The MR2 is better build quality and more have seemed to survive for longer, maybe even better owners and better cared for too, MR2 Turbos will eventually fetch money again due to rarity, give it another 5 or 6 years.
MR2O12

Post by MR2O12 »

D4N_V_U wrote:Look at all the Ford RS Turbos, Renault 5 GT Turbos and even Vauxhall Novas are starting to fetch wedge. All suddenly rotted/got nicked and written off/scrapped.. Now if you want one you`re looking at 3 grand for something that needs work, upto 7k for a minter (at least the RS and the Renault 5). The MR2 is better build quality and more have seemed to survive for longer, maybe even better owners and better cared for too, MR2 Turbos will eventually fetch money again due to rarity, give it another 5 or 6 years.

I think image has alot to do with it people when they were younger could never afford to insure rs turbo/cosworths,R5 etc. So now there older get nostalgic and pay big for them.

I think the mr2 has that sort of fake ferrari hair dresser image that it will never shake off.. :(
Loque

Post by Loque »

I actually think they will go up in 5-10 years. Just consider that the MR-2 market at the moment is pretty bananas. On PH there is [or was?] a bloke asking 3K for a reasonably tidy NA. Now I doubt it will go, but he wasn't entirely alone in the idea that N/As should go for between £2-3k.

Which, as said is pretty damned bananas IMO.
MR2O12

Post by MR2O12 »

I dont think even the most tidy na is worth 2-3 grand. But I think the demands not there for na simply due to the engine.
I had one and it was pretty embarasing to be honest. The turbo does have hair rasing speed and thats what people want in a two seater
MR2O12

Post by MR2O12 »

But they are good reliable + well made and worth every penny if you dont mind the speed
hmltnangel

Post by hmltnangel »

TBH thats partly why i've happily spent the money rebuilding a knackered Tubby.

Ive overspent on it and when it goes for a respray towards the end of this year, it will be one very expensive but very well looked after machine.

The other reason I was happy doing it i that Ive learned a lot about the two as well rebuilding it, and again honestly in ten or so years people who know their twos well, will be just as rare.

I honestly dont see me selling it, when I move, I will get a house with double garage and itll be laid up over winter at that point.
Loque

Post by Loque »

MR2O12 wrote:But they are good reliable + well made and worth every penny if you dont mind the speed

Regrettably mine's anything but reliable at the moment. :( I find the slower cars more exploitable on our roads, rather than having to worry about hitting three figures every time you plant your right peg. Plus it's reasonable on MPG [when working right]

But your point stands. £3k for an N/A is silly money.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

3 grands cheap! There's been a Gulf oil coloured one on eBay for 4500 for as long as I remember wonder why it hasn't sold ](*,)

I can't see the prices going up unless you have something very very nice, low mileage, low owners and full service history even then I don't think personally any NA is worth more than 2k in this financial climate. Just enjoy the cars and the big benefit is cheap parts and I don't know about anyone else's insurance but mines gone down 200 quid this year to about 250 quid and I'm only 25.
No 2 :(
MR2O12

Post by MR2O12 »

Loque wrote:
MR2O12 wrote:But they are good reliable + well made and worth every penny if you dont mind the speed

Regrettably mine's anything but reliable at the moment. :( I find the slower cars more exploitable on our roads, rather than having to worry about hitting three figures every time you plant your right peg. Plus it's reasonable on MPG [when working right]

But your point stands. £3k for an N/A is silly money.

I agree espicaly in the wet. but do you find with yours all the power is made at 5k+ making it feel gutless during normal driving. mine felt prety quick if you ragged the boobs off it, but the take off annoyed me. i think its to do with having high power for 2.0 (170hp) but low torque (186 Nm)
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

My NA is gutless at the bottom end isn't it because its a twin cam? One for economy one for power at the top end?
No 2 :(
Loque

Post by Loque »

It's just a characteristic of the engine; It's relative really. Compared to some other cars it's torquey enough, compared to turbos it wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”