ebay

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

nath severs

ebay

Post by nath severs »

never try selling ya car on ebay if you wanna live ,,,ive had had mine on for 2 days and nearly bean killed twice ,all ive had is kids turn up and want to test drive it ,one lads just been and completly lost the plot on the first roundabout completly spinning us round and rolling backwards almost into a fence ,thats it that ,and another lad has just turned up with a cannabis wooly hat on over his eyes and walked straight into my car port ,he was never gonna drive it .also all the gts ive been bidding on and winning seem to dissapear just before the auction ends propr p1$$ing me of ,theres amoral to every story ,,,never use ebay ,be happy for what you have got ,never let a kid test drive your car and lastly if anyone turns up in a cannabis wooly hat with his trackies tucked into his trackies run like xxxx ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Blue_2

Re: ebay

Post by Blue_2 »

By the sounds of that you need a stiff drink. :thumleft:
nath severs

lol

Post by nath severs »

thats exactly what im doing mate lol
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Sounds like you had a couple of lucky escapes.

A perfect illustration of why you NEVER let anyone test drive you car without SEEING a valid fully comp insurance certificate for YOUR car.
craig

Post by craig »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:Sounds like you had a couple of lucky escapes.

A perfect illustration of why you NEVER let anyone test drive you car without SEEING a valid fully comp insurance certificate for YOUR car.

^this.

Sorry to hear of your woes mate :(
nath severs

ebay

Post by nath severs »

peter ya right yet again mate ,never again .he set of ok then then just completly lost the plot ,HE WAS GRINNING LIKE A VILLAGE IDIOT .mate ive never seen anything like it ,i never put this on as a joke i put it on to warn people on here of what can happen if you are as stupid as me mate .NEVER LET PEOPLE DRIVE IF THEY DONT SHOW YOU A DRIVING LICENSE AND INSURANCE ITS AS SIMPLE AS THAT ..by the way peter im away so our lass will be sending payment for bushes tommorow ,and red mr2 its me own fault but never again mate
dan4

Post by dan4 »

Im sorry thats crap, I'd never buy a car without driving it and I think the same to prospective buyers, they would never have fuly comp turning up to view every car. You should have the savvy to judge the person and take them somewhere they can at least have a feel of the car
craig

Post by craig »

dan4 wrote:

Im sorry thats crap, I'd never buy a car without driving it and I think the same to prospective buyers, they would never have fuly comp turning up to view every car. You should have the savvy to judge the person and take them somewhere they can at least have a feel of the car

Pete never said "don't let anyone test drive your car" He said don't let them do it without valid insurance and proof.

I agree, no insurance, no test drive. Simples.

So lets say you let someone test drive your car without valid insurance, and they bin it. What you gonna do then?
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

RedMR² wrote:
dan4 wrote:

Pete never said "don't let anyone test drive your car" He said don't let them do it without valid insurance and proof.

I agree, no insurance, no test drive. Simples.

So lets say you let someone test drive your car without valid insurance, and they bin it. What you gonna do then?

Furthermore who gets the 6 points for allowing to drive uninsured??? "He told me he was insured" is no defence. It is your duty to ensure they have legal cover. TPF&T policies don't allow driving other vehicles, so like i said, no fully comp cert, no test drive.
dan4

Post by dan4 »

Back to the real world I've never had these points you speak of and sold many many cars, its a little speculative to expect a prospective buyer of cheap cars to have fully comp insurance on all of the cars he see's that day. Especially with the xxxx for sale poorly described
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

dan4 wrote:Back to the real world I've never had these points you speak of and sold many many cars, its a little speculative to expect a prospective buyer of cheap cars to have fully comp insurance on all of the cars he see's that day. Especially with the xxxx for sale poorly described

Everyone is different. I've never allowed anyone to test drive a car without seeing fully comp insurance. At least if anything went wrong, i'd get paid out.
dan4

Post by dan4 »

That is very true you would and i would be seriously out of pocket :thumleft: but in taking that risk its sold cars. I deal with a french and german dealer who most likely are covered for sod all but it gets things sold!
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

I agree it's ideal, but how many actually ask for insurance details? Having to take out temporary insurance to test drive a car will lose you most buyers.

On my old Celica the original advert stated 'must be insured' - I didn't get a single bite. I removed the stipulation and was inundated with offers before getting the asking price off an enthusiast. Anecdotal I know, but sadly it seems to be a risk that has to be taken selling cheaper cars privately.

On a second note, don't buy MR2s on Ebay without looking at them thoroughly first. I bought mine on a whim on my 30th and I might as well just leave the car parked at Peter's for the use I get before something else fails. :lol:
Rev 2 Turbo (Testing my patience)

Golf GTI MK5 (Competent but dull)
craig

Post by craig »

Marlowe wrote:I might as well just leave the car parked at Peter's for the use I get before something else fails. :lol:

The cars are getting on a bit now mate. Most MK2s are the best part of 20 years old!
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

Mine's 21 years old now so I don't bear it too much of a grudge - came into it looking at the MR2 as a car I'd grown up with (most friends had a NA MK2 as their first / second car) and that now had moved into the 'affordable classic' range.

In fairness everything that's failed has just been due to age and the fact it's clocked up 112k - it was just a rough first year with cambelt, turbo, alternator, wiring, throttle cable etc all needing sorting. Once this coolant leak gets sorted in the spring it should hopefully get to a point where I'm happy with it again. :)

One thing I will say is that when we pulled up to the car park for the touristfahrten at the Nordschleife, the MR2s (even somewhat battered) still attracted far more attention than much more expensive rides like the Golf ever did. :)
Rev 2 Turbo (Testing my patience)

Golf GTI MK5 (Competent but dull)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”