[Mk2] [NA] EBC Pads question

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR2HOT

[Mk2] [NA] EBC Pads question

Post by MR2HOT »

Hi guys

Ive just bought some EBC Ultimax Front brake pads (part DP995) for the car and they came with stick on shims which apparantely you cut to the shape of the brake pad, but the stick on shim is far too small to cover the rear of the pad. My question is if anyone has fitted these pads themselves before do you know if the original shims from my current pads will fit onto the EBC pads? and if the original shims do not fit the EBC pads is it ok to just run with these stick on shims and leave the original ones off? I guess with the stick on ones as they are so small i will have to just try and cut them into two bits and make sure they cover where the pistons hit the pad.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me if they have had a similar experience with these pads? Sorry if this seems a silly question but i have not done the brakes on an MR2 before and before i take the wheels off and start work it would be good to know about these shims and if i need the originals or if im fine with just the stick on ones.

Thanks in advance :wink:
bobhatton

Re: [Mk2] [NA] EBC Pads question

Post by bobhatton »

I would keep clear of anything made by EBC.
Their pads just burn the disks and their disks warp in no time.

You do not have to use any shims on the pad if you do not want to
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Not used those specific EBC pads before.
But previous EBC pads I've used have used the original metal shims on.

I stopped buying anything EBC since the wifes FTO came with Greenstuff pads on when she bought it - they were changed imediately, they were dreadful.
Tedtiler

Post by Tedtiler »

Just my 2c but 2 of us have been using yellow stuff for a dozen track days over here in Belfast on a na rev3.

Been through 3 sets and feel we get good value from them. Great stopping and fade free all day. We have used the stick on backing pads.

Raymond
MR2HOT

Post by MR2HOT »

So a mixed bag of reviews on these pads then. Being that i have bought them now i shall fit them and see what they are like i guess until i give them a try i wont know. Thanks for clearing up my question though of using the stick on shims, i shall just use these then if the standard ones dont fit.

Thanks for your replies guys and i wish you all a merry xmas and happy new year \:D/
Keri-WMS

Post by Keri-WMS »

We've sold LOADS of EBC pads with our kits and based on a lot of real-world feedback (good and bad, covering a large range of cars and applications):

EBC Green - "no comment", we don't suggest people buy them really.

EBC Red (fast road/trackday) and Yellow (very fast road/trackday/race) - very good value....although getting closer in price to the superior Ferodo DS2500 which is a bad idea (for EBC!!!!).

We haven't sold any Ultimax compound pads though as they don't make them in the shape our calipers take, being a normal driving pad.
MR2HOT

Post by MR2HOT »

Well after getting the wheels off the front of the car im faced with brake pads that look virtually brand new fitted already #-o

So im guessing the squeeling noise im getting is coming from the rear brakes instead so im now going to get some rear pads ordered up and then im not looking forward to fitting them as i hear horror storys of the handbrake not working properley afterwards and being a pain in the ar$e but hopefully i wont have this problem as i read somewhere about winding the piston back out 180 degrees before fitting the cylinder back over the pads. I guess well see.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

MR2HOT wrote:Well after getting the wheels off the front of the car im faced with brake pads that look virtually brand new fitted already.

Did you check the sliders are not seized and that the pads move freely within the retaining clips?
MR2HOT

Post by MR2HOT »

Yes the front brakes were fine Peter. I had the rear wheels off today and fitted a new set of rear pads. The drivers side was fine but then when i came to do the passenger side i could feel at the back of the disc it was pretty rusted and the inside pad was not contacting the disc properley therefore the outer part and inner part of the disc rusted and when i removed the brake pad i found uneven wear on it on the outside and inside of the pad which i presume where it is hitting the rust instead of the disc, so i took off the disc and gave it a good clean up to the best i could but it looks pretty pitted so i will need new discs which ill replace but these will get me through winter. I got it all back together again and the brakes feel good and i have no squeeling noises anymore.

A quick question on the handbrake on these cars. My handbrake is holding the car ok since changing the rear pads but i have to make sure the handbrake is on full 7 clicks for it to hold really well. It will hold on 5 clicks but on a steep hill it needs 7 clicks. Is this normal for the MR2 as i know the handbrakes always seem to look like they are very high when pulled up as it comes up a fair way before you even hear one click, or is putting it on 7 clicks wrong?
Donato

Post by Donato »

MR2HOT wrote:
A quick question on the handbrake on these cars. My handbrake is holding the car ok since changing the rear pads but i have to make sure the handbrake is on full 7 clicks for it to hold really well. It will hold on 5 clicks but on a steep hill it needs 7 clicks. Is this normal for the MR2 as i know the handbrakes always seem to look like they are very high when pulled up as it comes up a fair way before you even hear one click, or is putting it on 7 clicks wrong?

I've replaced both my rear handbrake cables and it takes just 1 click for the wheels to lock, 2 if it's a steep hill. Cables were £20 each from Euro Car Parts and took about an hour to fit :thumleft:
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

glimitedmr2 wrote:I've replaced both my rear handbrake cables and it takes just 1 click for the wheels to lock, 2 if it's a steep hill. Cables were £20 each from Euro Car Parts and took about an hour to fit :thumleft:

Your handbrake is way over-adjusted.

MR2HOT wrote:

When the primary cable is correctly adjusted, and providing all parts are in good working order, the handbrake will operate in a progressive manner, needing normally between 5ish an 8ish clicks to lock the rear brakes to the minimum standard required by the MOT.
synXero

Post by synXero »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
glimitedmr2 wrote:I've replaced both my rear handbrake cables and it takes just 1 click for the wheels to lock, 2 if it's a steep hill. Cables were £20 each from Euro Car Parts and took about an hour to fit :thumleft:

In all fairness this sounds better than standard... Unless there are some implications? Premature wear?
MR2HOT

Post by MR2HOT »

quote]When the primary cable is correctly adjusted, and providing all parts are in good working order, the handbrake will operate in a progressive manner, needing normally between 5ish an 8ish clicks to lock the rear brakes to the minimum standard required by the MOT.[/quote]

So my handbrake is ok then, thanks for the info Peter :wink:
Donato

Post by Donato »

synXero wrote:

In all fairness this sounds better than standard... Unless there are some implications? Premature wear?

I should of mentioned that that was when it was first done, about 4 months ago. It now takes about 3/4 to lock the wheels.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

synXero wrote:

Self-adusters won't work. And may well be dragging.

I'm sure Toyota didn't make up the precise method of handbrake adjustment for the pure hell of it... :wink:
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

it is meant to be between 5 and 8 clicks.
Donato

Post by Donato »

My handbrake probably needs adjusting again then :lol:
OlberJ

Post by OlberJ »

they'll sieze quicker if they are too tight due to the lack of movement.
www.OlberMOTIVE.com - Central Scotlands answer to your Mr2 needs.

Return to “Mechanical”