[Mk2] [NA] rev 3 hard to get second even after new clutch and box

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

nath severs

[Mk2] [NA] rev 3 hard to get second even after new clutch and box

Post by nath severs »

hi im after a bit of help ,1994 rev 3 na started to feel notchy going into second ,so i replaced the clutch it was still the same ,so i changed the box ,still the same ,if i push the gearstick hard over then to second it goes in ,but i can feel something under the centre console arm thing that feels clunky and not right lol like some thing rumbling and almost knocling under my arm only when going for second ...PLEASE ANYONE ANY IDEAS COS I REALLY DONT WANT THE BOX OUT AGAIN CHEERS :pale: :?
foxy-stoat

Re: [Mk2] [NA] rev 3 hard to get second even after new clutch and box

Post by foxy-stoat »

Sounds like the gear shift cables....I would unhook them from the box, and move them by hand to see if they are snagging up.....pull off the gear lever surround and remove the center console and take a look at them.
We ALL make mistakes !!! :)
nath severs

Post by nath severs »

yea cheers mate ill take another look at them tomorrow ,they seemed ok when i first looked but it was only a quick look ,is there a bearing you can fit in the ends rather than the rubber insert ,im sure i remember someone onabout i mod on the cables cheers
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

You can get bearing kits for the cabin end and the gearbox end.
I did the gearbox end on mine as these were the bushes i took out, one of which is fooked

the bearing mod i got from ebay and came with everything needed; bearings, washers and emery paper.
I've not done the front end but they would be easy enough.
nath severs

Post by nath severs »

cheers mate i will order some tomorow with the cables ,thats got to sort it ,its becoming a bit of a money pit now thought abought getting rid of it but just cant lol
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

nath severs wrote:cheers mate i will order some tomorow with the cables ,thats got to sort it ,its becoming a bit of a money pit now thought abought getting rid of it but just cant lol

Sorry, just saw this reply.

I would hold off on getting the cables just yet unless having looked at the engine end and found the sleeving damaged and potentially letting in water and dirt. I would disconnect both ends (label them first!!) and check they are free. Then inspect the bushes in the ends. I'm pretty sure the knackered one on mine was the side to side movement. The bearings kits will only set you back £30 ish if you need both ends.

I was gonna pull one out of my skateboard to see if they are the right size as they are cheap but didn't get around to it.

I know what you mean about spending. I got mine to do a banger rally across europe and was gonna sell when/if it made it back. BUT i couldn't bring myself to after all the blood and sweat that went into getting it ready; full engine rebuild, replaced box and starter, replaced both bumpers, lots of botched wiring fixed, rebuilt calipers, replaced front sidelights, fixed horn, did some spraying on body and wheels, fitted stereo and sorted elec aeriel, replaced exhaust, replaced windscreen and i'm sure there was other stuff. oh yeah battery and number plates
When i got back i had a new list but this time it was improvements. So since then i have fitted turbo shocks and springs, braded brake hoses, polybushed all suspension, gearshift bushes, fitted diffrerent alarm, replaced o/s front arb mounting point (cut out rotten metal and weld in piece from a donor), midship runabout badge and i have started to upholster another interior.

The misses wants me to get rid but i keep coming up with something else i need to do to be happy to sell it to someone :whistle:

Good luck with yours and keep the faith, summer is just around the corner!!
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

nath severs wrote:is there a bearing you can fit in the ends rather than the rubber insert ,im sure i remember someone onabout i mod on the cables cheers

I stock the bearing kits. £10 per set, delivered.
Kinsy

Post by Kinsy »

Have you checked the shifter for dropped screws/debris?

Return to “Mechanical”