TOMS rocking horse xxxx

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Birdygts

TOMS rocking horse xxxx

Post by Birdygts »

Right then first things first , I don't really know too much about what me and my mate have bought . Today we collected our most recent purchase. We have got not one but two TOMS race engines complete with dry sumps and pumps, TOMS rocker covers . They have TOMS all over them from the manifolds to the oil pumps. With the engines we also got 3 tiny aluminium flywheels and 2 multiplate ap racing clutches . I believe they are fully forged all tho they are NA . Neither have oil fillers or dipsticks due to the dry sump. The blocks have 3s stamped in them and stamped in the heads are 355 in the one and another number in the other . Any one know much about these ???
Birdygts

Re: TOMS rocking horse xxxx

Post by Birdygts »

The other head has 322 stamped in it :D
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

They sound like single seater race engines.

If they are, great in a lightweight race car, rubbish in a 1300Kg road car.
Birdygts

Post by Birdygts »

From what I can gather there from some 1988 race cars ?? We kind of took a shot in the dark on them to be fair , a friend on here who's better on computers than me will be uploading some picture of them in a short while
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

I think they are Forumla3 engines and if they are from 1988 then they won the UK championship in that year :)

Here's the photos

toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Nice piece of history! What are you going to do with them?
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Birdygts

Post by Birdygts »

I'm not too sure yet, we are going to break them down and rebuild them but as far as running them in a car that's undecided as yet. I kind of deal bad taking a spanner to them but it's a shame to leave them the way they are .
cosmos

Engine

Post by cosmos »

I recall the Formula 3 engines at that time were known as Toyota Novamotor. Autosport archives perhaps, guessing here Formula 2 = 2Litre, and Formula 3 = 2Litres with air restricters fitted. Perhaps a call to Cosworth!!
A.BLAKE

Post by A.BLAKE »

Hmmmmmmmmmm =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~

where did u get them??
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

i think James would like these
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Stick it in a mk1?

Also this link any use??

http://www.classic-celica.com/modules.p ... topic&t=93
ashley

Post by ashley »

Stick one in a super light caterham, could be a hoot :thumleft:
Birdygts

Post by Birdygts »

Well after peeking inside I can confirm that they are fully forged with mega machined cranks, steel rods, all bolts are updated and the pistons are forged NA pistons that are a little different. The mk1 idea sounds fun , but then so does the katrum. I'd best get them built tho before I start looking at cars to put them in :D We bought them off a guy in coleshill , he'd had them in his garage for 22 years and never done anything with them :thumleft:
Rob

Post by Rob »

Put them in a heavily stripped out Mk1. Seems a shame to put them in a non-Toyota car.

If it worked well in the Mk1 then your car(s) would become seriously desirable.....
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Mk3 surely? Lighter and handles better...
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Mk3 surely? Lighter and handles better...
CardHore

Post by CardHore »

Omg I think I just wet myself....

.... how much?

Anyone know the power output of one of these?

I want THIS.....

#NOTWELLJELATALL
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Maybe the guy was just called Tom and he wanted everyone to know his name!! :lol:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Given F3 regulations at the time, probably just shy of 200bhp with the air restrictor on the end of the airbox. That will be at high revs though, being light race engines with tiny flywheels they're unlikely to have any low down power, will stall really easily and have a weird power band (like no power until 5000rpm then all the power between 5-6000rpm).

That said none of us know how drastically different the engines are from stock.
Birdygts

Post by Birdygts »

Sorry for not posting in a while, well while I've been away I've fully stripped one of the engines lets call it number 1 lol.
Under the rocker cover I found a pair of 10.8mm lift TRD cams that I believe are 320mm duration? ( going on what's written on them ) with what seem to be different valves , valve springs and sum little unde shim buckets. The head bolts are 8mm Allen key topped and seem to be updated . The bottom end is where it gets funky. The block has no squirters and the inside of the block has been painted ? Dunno why and the crank is like nothing I've seen before. It has been lightened by removing one of the webs opposite the rod on each and where the rods and mains bolt up it has been machined out (can't understand why) the mains bolts are TOMS with the T on them . The rods don't have anything written on them but they are super light h beam steel ( I think) whith arp bolts in them . The pistons are forged mahle items with only two rings , they seem very short. The sump as you know is a dry sump and the little splash pans are held in with bolts that are tied in place with spun wire. All in all I think number one means business lol.
Now for number two, number two has the same going on in the head as number one but that's where the similaritys end! Number two's blok has got squirters and is not painted , the mains bolts are not Toms either. The rods are the same as in number one but the pistons are different, number two only has the sump removed at present so i can't tell you any more one the pistons. The crank is also totally different, this crank has been lightened in the way of being knife edged , that's all I can see of it at the moment. The sump on number two is also a dry sump but again it's different to the one on number one.
Sorry for the long winded write up but there's so little information out there about these . I'll get sum pics next time I'm at the unit to show you all.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”