[Mk2] [Turbo] My Aerodynamic rework: Giving the MR2 downforce

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

don young

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] My Aerodynamic rework: Giving the MR2 downforce

Post by don young »

nice work, but learning to drive properly would make more difference , no offence like , just saying.

not my cup of tea and the 500quid on things to make it faster and make it lighter would help more id say , just my 2bob :) nice metal work tho :thumleft:
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

don young wrote:nice work, but learning to drive properly would make more difference , no offence like , just saying.

I can't possibly see how this can't be offensive, unless you know him personally and are able to critisize his driving ability. :neutral:
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Some slightly harsh comments in the thread - I think likely generated by the rear 'hatch', lol.

I quite like the flat underbody panels and what you did with the frunk/bonnet though :thumleft:

If you want to test the efficiency of your spoiler you could try one of these maybe:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARC-Downforce-M ... 5b&vxp=mtr

They are quite cheap to buy nowadays :mrgreen:
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
Cheapest way to make it quick is to lose weight.

I can't possibly see how this can't be offensive, unless you know him personally and are able to critisize his body weight. :neutral:
dazzz wrote:I'm no expert but
ryan

Post by ryan »

T.F.S. wrote:
Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
Cheapest way to make it quick is to lose weight.

I can't possibly see how this can't be offensive, unless you know him personally and are able to critisize his body weight. :neutral:

I'm sure what Peter means is to lose weight off the car, not his person.
I certainly didnt read it that way
planted1

Post by planted1 »

What he said above :thumleft: ,
he meant the car and not the person.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

Tsia wrote:

I can't possibly see how this can't be offensive, unless you know him personally and are able to critisize his driving ability. :neutral:

T.F.S. wrote:

LOL/JK!
dazzz wrote:I'm no expert but
planted1

Post by planted1 »

Ahhh.... :thumleft:
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Tsia wrote:
don young wrote:nice work, but learning to drive properly would make more difference , no offence like , just saying.

No offense taken, because last year I did a driving course with CAT driver training valued at £1100 and it was very useful.

Thanks kongaroo. As ive said before I am disappointed with how the hatch turned out but its still better than having the recirculating zone and its not bad for £80 when the real thing costs £450. Thanks for the link, but I think i will pass. No substitute for a wind tunnel but i dont have that kind of cash.

And for the rest of you, I weight in at a trim 10st 6lb :)
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

double post
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

Try a gurney strip on the rear wing for a bit more efficiency
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Are the bumper undertray dimensions the same for stock and aftermarket bumpers? I've been considering having some cut in aluminium or similar and was hoping to use the stock pieces as a sizing guide.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Here's a look at the underside of our race car:

Rogue Motorsport / Forza 4 - Toyota MR2 - Britcar 24 Hours 2012 by Trackside70, on Flickr

There are some compromises purely to get around other components so I'm aware it's not an ideal setup.
rs007

Post by rs007 »

Loving the work! Sound theory and logic, and, you are having fun! I don't think I'd ever go to that extent myself personally, but admire the fact youve just wired in and attacked it.

Particularly like the flat floor pan!
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

I admire a lot of this and can see the method behind it.

As mentioned thou I'd have saved half the money done the flat floor and few other bits.

Then got some nice coilovers and light weight wheels, just because yours havn't died yet doesn't mean you can't start looking at replacements ;)

I like the engine lid and I wam wanting something similar for mine more for the looks over performance :oops:

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

I did a trackday at donington a couple of weeks ago, so i thought i'd update this.

Whilst i was hoping to get some data to directly compare with the trackday i did at donington in feb it didnt quite work out that way.

The key stats from the feb day were that my fastest lap time was 2.05.5, with most being about 2.08-2.09. The highest lateral accel recorded was 0.96.

I went out for a first stint and took it very steady, just warming up. I posted a 2.07.2, which is good going for a warm up.

It lightly rained from my 2nd stint onwards, and as i found out from studying the data after the day was over the car was accelerating 0.02g slower from the 3rd stint onwards. This may have been caused by lower boost for some reason, i noticed at one point my peak boost was 11 psi not 13 as it should have been. The slower accel meant i was getting to most corners 4 mph slower than in the first stint, so that combined with a damp track means i would never get close to beating the 2.07 the whole day. However i was still averaging 2.09 throughout the day.

That aside, my highest lateral accel was 0.98 despite a damp track. My braking decelerations were on average higher than in feb. The car felt much more stable under braking and gave me much more confidence so i was able to brake harder consistantly.

I also got the feeling that no matter how hard i pushed through a corner i could have probably gone faster if i'd just manned up, so plenty of room for improvement there.

Overall i'd say the changes have had a positive affect, though how much i cant tell as the track and car conditions were not comparable.
weeJohn

Post by weeJohn »

Do any of you lads subscibe to the free Track Driver magazine? They did an on going feature on an exprienced racers car, an old RX7, concentrating purely on aero features. They addressed all the features this lad has done and a few more, backed them up with proper testing and track lap times. Think some of you need to have a read at it before saying any more.
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

Nic

Post by Nic »

A couple of posts on the subject written by Tony who's and aerodynamicist for Force India F1.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread ... t=diffuser

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread ... ost2811346
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Venting the radiator out of the bonnet does give alot of front downforce apparently, and id love to do it if I didnt like the stock look so much.

Also id love to fully flatten the underside of the car but im worried about it flipping over if the worst happened

A load of guys did research on the mr2oc.com on aerodynaimcs which was interesting

Return to “Modifications”