Introducing the “Dark Fury” project – 400rwhp ATS 2.3L 5SFE GTX3076

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Steve-O 2007

Re: Introducing the “Dark Fury” project – 400rwhp ATS 2.3L 5SFE GTX3076

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

what about a water / meth kit to drop the temps?
Rixx

Post by Rixx »

wilki wrote:Looks really well that bud :thumleft: 8)
And probably goes just aswell by the looks of things

Cheers fella 8)
Rixx

Post by Rixx »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:what about a water / meth kit to drop the temps?

Great suggestion.. Nathan and Ryan also mentioned this.

I felt like that this was the next step after installing a more permanent cooling solution. There is no shying away from my Greddy IC just not cutting it!

The issue with these projects is that they never end and you need to find creative ways to make pockets deeper to justify the spend..
Nic

Post by Nic »

Any pics of the finished engine bay?

Turbo blanket? Manifold and downpipe coated/wrapped? Airfilter sealed from the engine bay? Intercooler ducted?
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Rixx

Post by Rixx »

Nic wrote:Any pics of the finished engine bay?

Turbo blanket? Manifold and downpipe coated/wrapped? Airfilter sealed from the engine bay? Intercooler ducted?

I haven't got any pics unfortunately. It took me a year getting the current pics up! I'm not sure about the turbo blanket and the Airfilter isn't sealed from the engine bay; But the rest is coated/wrapped/ducted appropriately.

Can you elaborate on the Turbo blanket and Air Filter?
Nic

Post by Nic »

Rixx wrote:Can you elaborate on the Turbo blanket and Air Filter?

A blanket around the turbine housing should help reduce the engine bay temps and shield the heat from the intake pipes. The DEI ones are very good quality but are expensive, there are some decent ones available for less - I've used a Powerhouse Racing one in the past on the Supra that was very good - and there are some poor quality very cheap ones on Ebay which I'd avoid.

http://www.designengineering.com/catego ... shield-kit

The stock airbox is sealed from the engine bay and pulls in air from the side pod, I'm considering removing my Blitz induction kit and going back to stock at the moment for this reason to help reduce intake temps. Ideally you want the filter sealed so it can only draw in cooler air from outside the engine bay.
Last edited by Nic on Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Rixx

Post by Rixx »

Thanks Nic, makes sense. I presently have a 4" K&N which isn't sealed from the engine bay at all..
Nic

Post by Nic »

Rixx wrote:Thanks Nic, makes sense. I presently have a 4" K&N which isn't sealed from the engine bay at all..

My background is in modifying Supras, I'm a recent convert to the Turbo MR2's. As such I'm not sure at what point the stock 3SGTE airbox would start to become a restriction but it looks like it could support a lot more power with it's large diameter intake pipe, fairly large filter area and duct to the side intake.

I know of a few 600hp single Supras that use an adapted stock airbox with good results - they have 2 cool air feeds from outside the engine bay. Rather than trying to seal the K&N filter, it may be worth considering doing something similar and adapting the stock airbox to fit the GTX30R?
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Rixx

Post by Rixx »

Nic wrote:
Rixx wrote:Thanks Nic, makes sense. I presently have a 4" K&N which isn't sealed from the engine bay at all..

My background is in modifying Supras, I'm a recent convert to the Turbo MR2's. As such I'm not sure at what point the stock 3SGTE airbox would start to become a restriction but it looks like it could support a lot more power with it's large diameter intake pipe, fairly large filter area and duct to the side intake.

I know of a few 600hp single Supras that use an adapted stock airbox with good results - they have 2 cool air feeds from outside the engine bay. Rather than trying to seal the K&N filter, it may be worth considering doing something similar and adapting the stock airbox to fit the GTX30R?

Very interesting.. I need to so some research to see some examples. This may be the way forward along side a charge cooler. I will certainly look into it..

So you're a recent convert to the Turbo MR2's - isn't that going backwards!? Don't take me wrong I love MR2's (hence all the time/work I've invested in mine), but I always intended to move to a Supra once my work with my MR2 was done :twisted:
Nic

Post by Nic »

Rixx wrote:So you're a recent convert to the Turbo MR2's - isn't that going backwards!? Don't take me wrong I love MR2's (hence all the time/work I've invested in mine), but I always intended to move to a Supra once my work with my MR2 was done :twisted:

Yeah there are a lot of ex-MR2 owners who move on to Supras, they're great cars I owned mine for 10 years when I was out in Hong Kong, that is until some £$%^ stole it! Some pics here if interested http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpicgalle ... =view&g=58

Enjoying the MR2, they're very different cars to drive but share a lot of the same DNA.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

Ahhhh... nice to see this on the forum finally!

This car has been.... testing! But eventually we got moving in the right direction.

With some added bits getting things cooled down and a few more tweaks i'm sure we can get the power your after :thumleft:
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
Rixx

Post by Rixx »

Nic wrote:
Rixx wrote:So you're a recent convert to the Turbo MR2's - isn't that going backwards!? Don't take me wrong I love MR2's (hence all the time/work I've invested in mine), but I always intended to move to a Supra once my work with my MR2 was done :twisted:

Yeah there are a lot of ex-MR2 owners who move on to Supras, they're great cars I owned mine for 10 years when I was out in Hong Kong, that is until some £$%^ stole it! Some pics here if interested http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpicgalle ... =view&g=58

Enjoying the MR2, they're very different cars to drive but share a lot of the same DNA.

Oh my days someone stole it!! That's messed - I feel for you man.. The supra is awesome. I can't click the thumbnails to see a larger image though (using a mac) - do these still work?

Completely agree, they definitely share the same DNA. I loved both the MR2 and Supra as soon as they had been released (but I had to put on a few pounds before I fit snug in a Supra lol)..
Rixx

Post by Rixx »

Century Motorsport wrote:Ahhhh... nice to see this on the forum finally!

This car has been.... testing! But eventually we got moving in the right direction.

With some added bits getting things cooled down and a few more tweaks i'm sure we can get the power your after :thumleft:

Thanks Nathan.. 500rwhp is the magic number!
vinnyninja

Post by vinnyninja »

Thats my front bumper (Postat i think there called) ... looks real nice in black :clap:
Rixx

Post by Rixx »

vinnyninja wrote:Thats my front bumper (Postat i think there called) ... looks real nice in black :clap:

I call it a stock rev3 bumper with a smoothed nose :mrgreen:
vinnyninja

Post by vinnyninja »

Rixx wrote:
vinnyninja wrote:Thats my front bumper (Postat i think there called) ... looks real nice in black :clap:

I call it a stock rev3 bumper with a smoothed nose :mrgreen:

#-o this was what i ment ....it was late

and ive cut out the middle fins
pejero

Post by pejero »

What turbo housing your runing?
Turbonoz

Post by Turbonoz »

What were the intake temps at 1.8 bar with the GReddy side mount?
92 MR2 Turbo Rev2 stock engine, Link G3 TURBONOZ mapped, T78: 487bhp & 364lbft; 11.78@120. NOW BREAKING: www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1542658
94 GTiR: 12.08@115 TOTB Sold :(
92 300ZX: 12.6@113 (415bhp) 570bhp, 500lbft
00 Clio 172
05 WRX PPP
Rixx

Post by Rixx »

pejero wrote:What turbo housing your runing?

Hey mate - I'm running .63 A/R turbo housing
Rixx

Post by Rixx »

Noz_13 wrote:What were the intake temps at 1.8 bar with the GReddy side mount?

Hey mate - I can't recall (I should have noted this down!). I just remember temps being ridiculously high! I may be looking into this again in the next few months. Not sure yet. I am potentially considering chargecooling to replace the Greddy..

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”