need someone in n.ireland or near the boarder if possible! also what i was offer

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

andrewgt

need someone in n.ireland or near the boarder if possible! also what i was offer

Post by andrewgt »

Is anyone in n.ireland or the republic got an mk2 rev2 n/a that they are using as parts?
I was offered my welding and spraying of my rev2 for 700 does anyone think thats good value??
Steve-O 2007

Re: need someone in n.ireland or near the boarder if possible! also what i was offer

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

think I replied to your other thread. Personally I wouldnt bother, end of the day its a Rev2 NA your going to loose money and to me its a waste of time and money.

Especially when you can pick up a Rev5 NA in the UK for like £700 - £1,500 area...
andrewgt

Re: need someone in n.ireland or near the boarder if possible! also what i was offer

Post by andrewgt »

Yea but ive already put 500 in getting other stuff sorted. The man was sayin that he could patch it up but it would be easier jus ta get the back pannel
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

I dont know then really... I would still be tempted to just sit back and think is it worth doing / spending the money...

Theres always the chance of rust coming through where the panel has been welded to the car unless he is going to guarantee it not going to happen for a certain length of time...
andrewgt

Post by andrewgt »

Ive got underseal and some of that paint they put on the metal electric plions its done some job on the mates seirra 2door one.

He said hed do a respray and the welding for 700
andrewgt

Post by andrewgt »

synXero

Post by synXero »

Avoid.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

looks like its ready for the scrapper
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

if you could do the welding yourself then save it if not, let it die gracefully........... in the crusher :lol:
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Its up to you at the end of the day but like I said before I would just leave it and get another MR2.

£700 for the welding and paint work is good BUT you also need to add on the cost of the rear quarters which in the other thread come to something like £350 each so thats like £1,400 already.

You also have to think what sort of a job will be done for £700 as that is very cheap.. Its a big job to do and oven / booth running costs alone will cost a small fortune -

Strip car ready for work
Cut out 2x rear quarters
Weld new ones in
Smooth the welds down
Fill over all the welds / gaps
Rub the filler all down
Apply Anti corrosion coating
Apply Primer
Block / Flat down smooth
Prep the rest of the panel / areas for paint (eg Doors as they will need blended into, any joining panel really)
Degrease it all
Mask it all off
Get an exact match
Tac it all off getting all the dust etc off
Paint car
Flat and polish bits that landed in
Rebuild car

just seems too cheap for all that for a good pro job...

Then you have the extra costs to add on eg if the rear windows break on removal etc

Its just not worth it but if you want to then carry on but dotn say we didnt warn you :) :thumleft:
DaveB19

Post by DaveB19 »

Are you on mr2.ie mate? Loads of local fellas, might be able to point you in the right direction. Have you only had 1 quote?
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Wow :shock:

My uk 1991 car never had rust that bad - I can't believe it's gotten to that stage!!

I hate to say this but it needs to go to the scrap yard in the sky
IMHO if it was me I would give it a go of fixing it myself. If you manage it - brilliant, and you've learnt another skill. If you don't manage to fix it yourself then you haven't lost anything and the car can be weighed in :thumleft:

If you have a gander on the for sale section and on eBay, unfortunately there are some very healthy and attractive cars going for tiny amounts of money ATM :(
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
ricky2

Post by ricky2 »

I agree with every one else break it then scrap it.
(sorry dude)
andrewgt

Post by andrewgt »

Yea id say yous are right but its my first 2 and i havent had it out yet. Didnt seem bad when i bought it but it was patched up really badly. The fella thats doing it done a really good job on the mates 2 door seirra that was nothin but rust underneath. Itll be prob 300 ish for the welding.
ricky2

Post by ricky2 »

Look it's up to you it's your car and your money keep us posted on what you do with it.
Give www.mr2.ie a shout :thumleft:
andrewgt

Post by andrewgt »

Quick update have found quater pannels for 50 each thats close by so ill get them and try the spraying my self
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

andrewgt wrote:Quick update have found quater pannels for 50 each thats close by so ill get them and try the spraying my self

Fair play for getting stuck in and giving it a go. I like the fact that your trying to save another 2 rather than taking the easy option out :thumleft:

I don't know you background, so sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here...

If your going to try the spraying yourself I'd recommend using an air gun on a compressor rather than rattle cans as you'll get a far more professional finish with minimal dead spots.

If your near the Bristol area your more than welcome to use my compressor (it's brand new so I'm itching for it to be used! Lol) :thumleft:
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
andrewgt

Post by andrewgt »

Thanks. Well im no painter but the paint wont be as bad as whats on my daily driver its like camo. Naw unfortunitly im from N.Ireland but the mate said i could use his 3liter one
andrewgt

Post by andrewgt »

Just a quick update. The 2s getting welded and touched up, work has finaly stared. 300 for the welding and spraying up the quarter panels and the frunk lid, stone chipping the underside. Also fixing up some other bits and pieces. Just couldnt send it to the scrap heap,
itll work out just under 1000 when complete (since i already put at least half of the money in already.

Will put up pictures as soon as i can
Lee8ballauto

Post by Lee8ballauto »

Whereabouts are you based? I'm Ni and paint and weld may be able to help you out

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”