[Mk2] [Turbo] car not starting and earth smoking! Help! *Now with MORE pics lol*

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

klx_boy

[Mk2] [Turbo] car not starting and earth smoking! Help! *Now with MORE pics lol*

Post by klx_boy »

My 90 turbo is currently off the road due to needing a clutch, i took a few wires and bolts off as was going to give it a go myself however the car needs to be moved so i put wires back on where i thought they went.

I bought a new battery as the other was goosed, i turned the key and got nothing from the starter although a relay can be heard clicking?

Then there is a black earth wire under where the airbox should be connected to a mounting, that started to smoke so went to disconnect battery and both terminals where smoking and hot as hell!

I need to know where the earth point are/go and if anyone has a diagram of the starter so i can see if the wires are on right.

Thanks for any and all advice, Scott.
Last edited by klx_boy on Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
T.F.S.

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] car not starting and earth smoking! Help! *Now with MORE pics lol*

Post by T.F.S. »

You have the battery around the right way?, if standing looking into the frunk the negative (-) is on the right hand side right?
dazzz wrote:I'm no expert but
klx_boy

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] car not starting and earth smoking! Help! *Now with MORE pics lol*

Post by klx_boy »

Yeah battery is round the right way.

All ignition lights come on and stuff. Just really worried about these earths and if i connected the starter properly.

Its been a while since i took them off! Doh!
h180eeu

Post by h180eeu »

I may be completely wrong but isn't the point that you think is an earth the min power feed to the starter? Trying to remember to when i pulled mine apart
klx_boy

Post by klx_boy »

Exactly! Thats why i need a pic of a starter to see.

I think your right. Ive made a total balls of this lol

I have taken a pic of where i have it connected. I will upload it when i get in.
klx_boy

Post by klx_boy »

Heres two pics of the wiring. The thick black one at the top is the one im guessing is my starter feed? That was the one smoking/i thought was an earth.

The other one to the right and down was also loose but i do think think this is an earth?

alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

yep thats the start feed
klx_boy

Post by klx_boy »

Yessss! the big one?..

Where on the starter does it attach?

When feeling it i can only find what feels like a spade connector terminal and thats the firewall side.

Thanks for all help! Its really really appreciated :D
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

here we go big one goes here
klx_boy

Post by klx_boy »

Blinding! thanks very much :D
klx_boy

Post by klx_boy »

Sorry to be a pain once more haha

Went outside and seems that i have already connected the wrong wire to the starter..
Any idea where this one belongs? is this an earth?

Cheers
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

thats correct but you still need to connect the thick wire (that you have attached to the body work) to there as well as the one thats there already
klx_boy

Post by klx_boy »

Ahhh okay so that tab has two wires coming off it? The wire above goes towards the boot and joins in with a load of other wiring? Is that correct.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

yep, so just take off the nut and attached the thick wire to there as well :thumleft:
klx_boy

Post by klx_boy »

What a help! Thanks soo much! If your ever up Middlesbrough way i owe you a pint :D :thumleft:

Return to “Electrical”