All over for G164 CKV... didn't make the moon after all.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

StevieL

Re: All over for G164 CKV... didn't make the moon after all.

Post by StevieL »

Outstanding offer from Paul and Peter, I applaud you both! :clap:
afennell
IMOC Organiser

Post by afennell »

Sorry to hear your problems mate and I hope it all gets sorted.

I have met Rob on many occasions; he is a great easy going guy.

I don’t know the full facts to this situation, and reading this thread is definitely not going to give me that knowledge so I’m not going to comment.

Problems are always going to happen in business, it’s how you deal with the issues that count.

Hat off to SBits and Wood sport, along with everyone else for their offers.
If only you guys were closer to me. :thumleft:
Bry

Post by Bry »

HighwayStar wrote:Bry... no, you are not correct. In fact not only are you not correct but you are not correct in such spectacularly willful style I have to wonder whether you have read the same thread as I've been posting in or whether your ludicrously summary is based on some other undisclosed factor. I've already stated how disappointing I've found this attitude in others who have posted without regard to the known facts and indeed have openly questioned their motives for doing so and am dismayed to have to do so yet again. It rather flies in the face of what I have written in my first paragraph here.

You have your view I have mine. I disagree with yours you disagree with mine, so what, does it really make a difference? I certainly won't be losing any sleep over you disagreeing with me :lol:
Watch out OZ here I come !!
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

afennell wrote:I don’t know the full facts to this situation, and reading this thread is definitely not going to give me that knowledge so I’m not going to comment.

Problems are always going to happen in business, it’s how you deal with the issues that count.

^^ What he says.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

So Rob, i'm not sure i got the general jist of your last message, are we fitting another engine to this car or not?

Peter and i will need to start planning ahead if you want to take us up on this.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

I realise I'm asking a lot considering what you have already so generously offered Paul but if you could bear with me I will not be taking any decision for just a few days yet.
It's usually best in my experience not to make decisions whilst emotional and to be honest with you I still am.

My thanks again.

R.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

HighwayStar wrote:I realise I'm asking a lot considering what you have already so generously offered Paul but if you could bear with me I will not be taking any decision for just a few days yet.
It's usually best in my experience not to make decisions whilst emotional and to be honest with you I still am.

My thanks again.

R.

The words "gifthorse" and "mouth" come to mind. :roll:
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:The words "gifthorse" and "mouth" come to mind. :roll:

I know :shock: :shock:

ps Paul Peter do you fancy a trip to Devon as I have an engine box and loom in my garage waiting to go in :lol: :lol:
Harold

Post by Harold »

HighwayStar wrote:I realise I'm asking a lot considering what you have already so generously offered Paul but if you could bear with me I will not be taking any decision for just a few days yet.

My thanks again.

R.

What is there to consider? You've been offered everything on a silver platter!
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Harold wrote:

My thanks again.

R.

What is there to consider? You've been offered everything on a silver platter!

Yep, well i know what i would do with the offer now.
Jesus, a free engine and free fitting. I'm guessing his holding out for a free tank of petrol as well :lol:
ashley

Post by ashley »

C'mon guys- give him a break...the way I read this he's obviously made the tough call to give up on the car, the extremely generous offer of a free engine/ fitting is making him have to reconsider something that he's already decided is history.

That's the way I read it anyway.
Last edited by ashley on Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

So much to say but what's the point.

I will say (as a now very bias onlooker), I really want this car to go to another expert so they can get to the bottom of how the simple procedure of fitting an alternator has caused this engine to seize, or not.

Bizarre thread turnaround though, fantastic offer from Paul and Peter but I cannot get my head around how an individual can accuse a trader of 'killing their car' , with absolutely nothing to back it up, drag the trader's name through the mud, put up a bit of flowery wording, pull out the sympathy card and hey presto gets a new engine, fitted. About time it got that new engine though
:)
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

I would love to hear what actually happened to the engine.
This story is pretty hilarious, especially the bit where emotional distress comes in. It's a car.
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

cvega666 wrote:I would love to hear what actually happened to the engine.
This story is pretty hilarious, especially the bit where emotional distress comes in. It's a car.

Lol. Its certainly been an interesting read.

I still can't understand why if you were so concerned about your car and getting that annoyed about it not running why you wouldn't leap at the opportunity of someone fitting a new engine to it, and for free none the less!! All seems a little wierd...

I can understand being upset about your car breaking. After all the work I've put into mine I'd be a little upset. For example like Phil felt when his blue car decided to kill itself on the motorway. Emotional distress however might be a bit of a stretch 8-[ ... lol

I hope that it all manages to sort itself out one way or another :thumleft:
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

HighwayStar wrote:
That said however, I must conceed he has made contact with me to confront these difficult issues and regardless of all the rest that alone has gone some way to at least lessening if not eradicating both suspicions and anger.

So, Luke isn't to blame for killing your 224K engine then is that what you are now saying Rob?

Please do clarify, yes or no will suffice, no need for all the b0ll0cks.
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
marshiboi

Post by marshiboi »

Epic camaraderie from the fellow members offering to do the engine for you, don't think there'd be many clubs or forums with members offering to do that, kudos. :clap:

Hope there will be a positive outcome for all concerned.
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

Have the engine fitted any way, Worst comes to worst, sell it and give the extra money to charity
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

dazzz wrote:Have the engine fitted any way, Worst comes to worst, sell it and give the extra money to charity

Actually, if he has any doubts as to whether he's going to keep it long term, i'd rather not spend my free time fitting an engine FOC. I already give enough to my chosen charities.
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

HighwayStar wrote:It's usually best in my experience not to make decisions whilst emotional and to be honest with you I still am.

My thanks again.

R.

My god listen to yourself.

Emotional?

Its a 20+ year old cheap car.

Don't ever have children, if someone calls them a name you would probably have a breakdown.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

OK. This has gone on long enough and is now just a shouting match and I've had enough. Of all of it. The car will be broken and I hope to give the engine to the engineering department at my old university for a completely unbiased and (most importantly at the moment) free assessment if they're interested.

This thread was not started as nor has ever been intended as some sort of Trader Feedback post. It began because I was frustrated with the complete lack of any explanation I was getting and I wanted some other input on the totally unexpected mechanical failure my car has apparently suffered whilst stationary overnight and without any prior mechanical warnings or symptoms. The following is a list of the known facts in chronological order that led to these frustrations...

I got the telltale indicators of a failing alternator on my dash (battery, brakes, handbrake). On Luke's diagnosis of a failed alternator I bought a recon one from TCB. It was fitted by Luke. The next morning, following a run to charge it after picking it up the previous afternoon, the battery was flat again but no more warning lights had shown on the dash during the run.

Luke said it would be a 'dead' battery due to the alternator problem and to buy another. I did. The garage I bought it from said they felt this made no sense... a failed alternator may drain a battery but in their opinion had no reason to kill it completely, particularly as it wasn't that old. Concerned I told Luke who repeated his view and suggested no other. The garage then called to say the previous battery was fine and charged with no issue (they were checking since I'd asked for it to be replaced under guarantee). I told Luke who didn't pass comment other than to confirm that in his view it was the battery which had been the problem. I am at this point with the alternator, fitting and new battery out about £250.

When the brand new battery was slow to start the car on the morning of it's second day (the first included a run of over 100 miles) I was more concerned and becoming rather frustrated and when it wouldn't start the car at all on the morning of it's third day (when the previous day had included the return run) I was beginning to get angry. Not too angry though, all it was as far as I was aware was an electrical problem. However since I've spent £250 so far on Lukes say so I do feel I am entitled to some sort of explanation from him and for this issue to be investigated... and I might add resolved.

At this point of course I had to try to start it to return it to Luke so used his jump pack. It didn't start it though and it was at this point I got the smoke from the engine bay and what I took to be a solenoid clicking on even after the key was removed.

Since it wouldn't start I had to then call the AA who had one try at starting (with no result at all) and who then traillered it to Luke. I tried to speak with Luke to ask about this recurrent electrical problem but got no response... several times. I then went away 2 days later for a weeks hols (even calling from the airport before the flight but again getting no response). I both called and texted from the holiday with no response.

I return late on a Thurs eve and on the Sat got a call from Luke to say the engine had suffered a terminal mechanical failure. No mention of the electrical problem and to this date still no explanation for it. Whilst other members here have been quick to state that it couldn't have anything to do with the mechanical failure (even though Paul Woods has previously agreed with Slarty that an injector stuck open during the ignition process could just possibly account for the borewash which has so far been the only theory put forward for the mechanical failure) none has so far advanced any explanation for it.

If people cannot see and understand my frustrations at this point I have to conclude they are wearing blinkers. The point at which I have frankly lost my temper and mentioned my suspicions on this forum (that a short possibly caused an ignition problem that caused the borewash and failure) came about due to Lukes response of banging his head against a wall and saying I had asked not to diagnose the problem. To be clear I certainly did want it diagnosed but having spent £250 already on his say so was waiting for him to diagnose the electrical issue (as I had been for some while by then) for free. Since the possibility is low but still apparently there of the possible link with the mechanical failure to be honest I rather thought he owed me an explanation and would be keen to show that indeed they weren't linked. It may indeed be as many of you are saying that there is no causal link but it seems the possibility exists however remote, no other explanations have as yet been put forward for either of the electrical or mechanical faults and the two issues have occured, one seemingly following on from the other.

Ollie you are right in one regard. In my Traders Feedback post I did state categorically right at the start that Luke had killed my car. I have now changed this to reflect the fact that it is of course just a suspicion still and indeed have offered to have the post removed completely should Luke want it. My only excuse is that I was very very angry. With regards to my post that you have quoted from.. of having my anger and suspicions reduced. Initially I was less angry and I believe I made it clear that I thought it a difficult thing for Luke to do at that point. However a little reflection shows it as much too little too late and several things stated by Luke in the conversation (once mulled over) have actually muddied the waters for me even more with regards to what he has done and when.

As I stated just a while ago I have to consider not only the car and all the things I've loved about it but this disagreements effect on my relationship with my more than patient partner. I also now have to consider how I feel about the whole thing... car, problems, girlfriend, this post and ultimately the conclusion I have reached is that it is time to say goodbye.

Parts will be advertised as soon as I've done the breaking but if anyone wants to have a look in my garage all the bits are listed there and I can still be contacted by PM.

Once again, thanks to those who've helped or offered help, thanks to those who've empathised, thanks to those who've been friendly over all the years and lastly thanks once more to Toyota for the 1936th mk2 MR2 off the production line, my faithful steed for the last 13yrs.

R.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”